If drumming styles were in heading or signature.

Tone Laborer

Am I the only one who would find it helpful? It would serve as instant context for someone's preferences and opinions which often seem linked to styles.

I"m sure a lot of the regulars that have been here for years have come to know each other, but as mainly a searcher/ lurker / forum newb, if, at a glance, you could tell if someone were into metal, country, prog rock, folk, cover band-- whatever, it would lend some focus to their contribution.

Hey, food for thought. I will say that after searching a few months here, the overall respectfulness and lack of flame outs found in so many other forums is refreshing. Thanks!

Peace,
Ed

Well, I have no style, therefore none listed.
I prefer less labels or pigeon-holing. It relieves one of bias. I agree lots of respect here during argument and debate.

The idea is not that bad. You don't have to list every genre you cover of course if you play lots of stlyes, but if you list some genres that you play more than others, that could be useful.

Don't think it would have any real context, unless you put a video clip of how well you play those styles. My list would be pitiful - AC/DC! It took only 35 years to learn Back in Black. LOL!!!

Maybe have the "Video of the Week" where each forum member is "encouraged" (mandatory) to post something they are working on, a gig, etc so all the forum members can introduce themselves with the language of drums. Your "style", etc, etc, etc will become obvious-so metal guys can all recognize each other, jazz cats the same, etc, etc, etc. It's all good drumming but we all have our likes and dislikes. We are all on the same journey just all in different places on that path so it's all good. Besides having to post a video the forum members are encouraged (have to) to post a comment of support, a like and a dislike too-positive criticism is always welcome as we are a supportive community. We all have something to share (sure some way more than others but I'm not counting) and we all have something to learn (like a huge understatement in my own case). I'd love to see it. Maybe even highlight forum members or something for a day. Course we are doing this all informally anyways.

Good intentioned idea. You could edit your signature to what you want people to know about your style and see if it catches on.

I'd say my "style" is "honey". Yep like bee vomit-so it's like a "FUSION" of nectars from various flowering plants and is a FUSION of what I vomit on the drums. Sadly sometimes it isn't so sweet though.

It's not a bad idea having something part of your signature. I think not just musical style but experience would make a difference.

Choices that a touring pro makes are different than a weekend warrior in a cover band, which are different from a person happily playing in their basement with some friends, to people that are perfectly happy playing alone in their basement. None of these are better or worse as long as you are happy, but I will tend to give and take advice from people in the same category as me because it would apply better to my personal situation.

I just updated my signature too.

Yup, I redid mine too. I think it helps to know whether the person with whom you're discussing the finer points of percussion is likely to have anything in common with you or not. I like outside advice too, but I like to know which is which.

Is this a young generation / Facebook kind of thing?

I am not and don't do, so not sure what value displaying your perceived style would do for me.

All I would like to see, is in the thread title for video or sound link, [METAL], [DEATH METAL], [DEATH DOOM], etc... so I don't waste my damn time to discovering it by clicking through.

Now get off my lawn

Ha. I don't know the meaning of the post above, I think the answer to your question is "no".

It wasn't intended as something mandatory, nor something to take offense at, or as some call out to prove yourself, or label to brand into your forehead!

Just an option to better inform other members who are reading your words.

Or not!

Well, I have no style, therefore none listed.
I prefer less labels or pigeon-holing. It relieves one of bias. I agree lots of respect here during argument and debate.

What if you inverted the perspective? Rather than style(s) you play, consider styles you don't play. For example I can fake light jazz, but I don't really play it. And there are other styles I can't even fake.

I have to conclude by this then, that if there are styles I don't play there must obviously be styles I do play. I wouldn't dismiss the concept as mere labels and pigeonholing.

If I were to say I have no drumming style, it seems to me that would mean one of two things: either I can play all styles, or I can't play any.

I would say if the question, "what styles do you primarily play?"-- is that difficult a question to answer, then don't. Again, it wasn't meant as a trap, or an exact science. It has nothing to do with skill level.

Technically, this info can be found in ones introduction thread, if one has such a thread and if they've included said info. I got the idea reading the "list your cymbals" thread, where I thought it would be helpful to know.

I think the main hurdle is a logistical one. Where would this info go? People seem attached to their signatures. After all, what would forums be without the witty(?), pearls of wisdom or sarcastic nonsense found in many signatures? I envision a optional code in the heading, M for metal, J for jazz, something imaginative like that. But this would require different forum software than the one most forums use, so that's doubtful too.

Lots of you all have been reading here for much longer than myself, if the consensus is the information has no value, then I can live with random opinions from the random Internet, like someone once said, "same as it ever was."

@Opentune-- No, but --thanks for asking! Where did you get that idea? I wish I had the chops for some Prog. Mainly country, blues, what they used to call rock, Americana, some folk, coffeehouse type stuff. Currently on the practice pad; Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell(LA Express era), Junior Brown, Paul Simon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Radney Foster,Van Morrison, Rolling Stones. Some local artists you may or may not have heard of.

Last edited:
The forum format should have dedicated forums for special grooves like there could be a whole forum for "two and four".

Personally, I think this would go long way towards solving our dichotomies problem... Oh noes another this vs. that thread.

In general I think there are a number of louder styles, that I don't like to listen too, don't care what equipment they play, don't care how much money they make etc.

Back