How to Build a Snare Collection

How do you find the hardware on the MPX? I have one on my short list. There's not really a similar value to be found in new snares at the moment.

I was not too happy with the plastic on the snare strainer, but it has worked well for several years. That snare was all I played for about two years after I bought it. The MPX snares are a great value. Peace and goodwill.

I was not too happy with the plastic on the snare strainer, but it has worked well for several years. That snare was all I played for about two years after I bought it. The MPX snares are a great value. Peace and goodwill.
The 14x8 all black maple was being blown out, I guess inventory has all been sold, but it's a cool snare! Ideally I'd get a natural finish but those have been gone for a while, it seems. Oh well, I can buy one used or get one of the poplars...and I wouldn't be all that shocked if I can't tell the difference anyway.

You might want to upgrade the strainer, I'm quick to get rid of one if I think it's crappy. Between Gibraltar, Worldmax, and adjustables like Inde you should be able to find one that fits without modification.

Yeah I really would like to start "collecting" snares for collectible reasons. I have three right now:

• 1967 Ludwig Acrolite. I bought this drum for collectable reasons: this was first type of snare I ever had and it's what I learned to play on. My Dad bought me a new one in 1967. I don't often play it - I just can't quite dial in the sound I like. I did use a Blackrolite for a NOLA-oriented band (think old school Preservation Hall sound) pre-COVID and could get the trashy sound I wanted out of it, but I sold it during COVID, when I wasn't playing gigs, to fund purchasing the vintage 1967 Acro.
  • Tama Superstar Maple. Got this with a kit. I use it with blues bands I play with. I like it a lot for blues, and I don't much worry about banging it around at beer-oriented venues and gigs. You can hear the 2&4 through the mix.
  • Sakae Trilogy Maple. I use it with jazz group. It is the exact sound and feel I want for jazz. Just the right bounce of stick just the right stick sound just the right roll sound and feel for me.
A lot of the way I listen for my snare sound and how does stick feel is how does snare sound and feel when I come over from riding cymbal to a quick 2 beat or 4 beat crushed roll, and doing same but then bouncing sticks quickly instead of a roll. Is it easy and natural. Trying different heads to get it just right. The Tama and the Sakae are now dialed in. I'd like to collect more snares in different colors and finishes with just my right sound and feel, too.

Last edited:
Its interesting how universal some choices are
And yet somehow Craviotto causes the most consternation among people. And from what I've noticed, there are guys who play Johnny's drums and love them, and there are guys who just won't go near them, they don't want to be bothered with them, they can't justify the price, and they are clearly not interested in or owning are playing a Craviotto snare drum.

Which is of course vastly different that someone's reaction to a Radio King or black beauty.

Its interesting how universal some choices are
And yet somehow Craviotto causes the most consternation among people. And from what I've noticed, there are guys who play Johnny's drums and love them, and there are guys who just won't go near them, they don't want to be bothered with them, they can't justify the price, and they are clearly not interested in or owning are playing a Craviotto snare drum.

Which is of course vastly different that someone's reaction to a Radio King or black beauty.
They ain't "Johnny's drums" anymore. I think the mystique and marketability of then being Johnny's drums and his craftsmanship and leadership died with him. Now they're just way way expensive drums, but without the Johnny-thing. Most likely why a lotta guys won't go near them.

They ain't "Johnny's drums" anymore. I think the mystique and marketability of then being Johnny's drums and his craftsmanship and leadership died with him. Now they're just way way expensive drums, but without the Johnny-thing. Most likely why a lotta guys won't go near them.
Nah, they weren't gonna buy them when he was alive either.

Back