How Important Is It...?

... the "vocals" was an instrument ... the fact that some lyrics were cheesy didn't detract me or changed my opinion of what I would consider a great song ...

An overlong song with some so-so lyrics? ...I say bring it on, anytime :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6G3nh5S3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb2bvqjg_hQ

I thought the lyrics were mysterious. What did he want to learn from Magdalena? Was a tantric mystic? A graduate from the Karma Sutra school? Or his old school teacher? We may never know.

And of course we don't always need lyrics at all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4mTdOn5DzQ ... I love crazy percussion, and baritone sax ... bring it on. And Don Moye is killer ... saw Art Ensemble play out here a long time ago ... they sure cover a lot of styles, almost like a history of jazz.

What passes for prog today just sounds like lame pop songs mixed with fast licks. It's bores me silly.
Most prog music today is quite influenced by metal.

By the way, if I remember correctly, you don't like Dream Theater's music. Have you listened
to their latest record? I really love it, I think it's some of their best work, really good songs,
and I mean really songs.

Thanks Henri, I'd forgotten just how good Heep were :) Have you heard the new version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjCVEKz7UHM&feature=related More edgy, but somehow less satisfying.

It's a cool version Andy, good choice for a singer, a mix between David Dyron/Ronnie James Dio, but having listen to the original hundreds of time and knowing every parts almost by heart, the new version is somehow less satisfying, but the essence of the original version is there, funnily enough, you link made me listen to a lot of other links for that album, and out of all of them, I prefer the originals, no doubt.

The David Byron/Ken Hensley/Mick Box team was the best chemistery for me :)

I thought the lyrics were mysterious. What did he want to learn from Magdalena? Was a tantric mystic? A graduate from the Karma Sutra school? Or his old school teacher? We may never know.

True... as far as Karma Sutra is concerned, the first part of the lyrics of this song by Heep is somehow less mysterious, but still leave enough for the imagination :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBSeclvMV8

I loved what guys like Ken Hensley and Jon Lord brought into the 70's rock bands, something I miss in today's rock bands.

And of course we don't always need lyrics at all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4mTdOn5DzQ ... I love crazy percussion, and baritone sax ... bring it on. And Don Moye is killer ... saw Art Ensemble play out here a long time ago ... they sure cover a lot of styles, almost like a history of jazz.

I loved that, that bass line and the rythmic flow of the percussion and the soloing makes it for a very hypnotic music, almost like trance music, with a vibe of jazz madness into it, it's brilliant, I would have love to see them live :)

I loved what guys like Ken Hensley and Jon Lord brought into the 70's rock bands, something I miss in today's rock bands.

I know what you mean. Organ is considered old hat now but they're great for adding a cool epic quality to rock.

I used to have Magician's Birthday but in later years I went off Heep, but that's one helluva Heep jam tune - sounds great!

I loved that, that bass line and the rhythmic flow of the percussion and the soloing makes it for a very hypnotic music, almost like trance music, with a vibe of jazz madness into it, it's brilliant, I would have love to see them live :)

They were an experience, Henri, a vibe all of their own and they covered all sorts of styles ... and Don Moye was insane, but when they got intense I struggled lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp3fACwoaC8

Most prog music today is quite influenced by metal.

By the way, if I remember correctly, you don't like Dream Theater's music. Have you listened
to their latest record? I really love it, I think it's some of their best work, really good songs,
and I mean really songs.

Actually, some of the hardcore metal guys have the most amazing chops, but they REALLY lack in composition skills. So much of that music is mostly fast riffs stuck together.

Yes, I think DT fall into the category of guys with chops and nothing to say. I haven't heard their latest but I'll check it out. (Actually I heard one song -- great playing, great sound, cool riffs, tight. Weak melody. No hook).

Last edited:
I have to say, the Art Ensemble have something going on, but I simply dislike music like that. State a riff and jam for 10 minutes with everyone soloing over one chord. It drives me nuts. It's the anthesis of everything I like -- composition, a tight arrangement, voicing, melody, structure and a good hook.

What the hell was this thread about again ?

Good question... I'm not sure Nelson remember either :) ... but it's a very good thread, with lots of twists, all making for good reading, intersesting opinions and music links to be enjoyed, hell, it's a thread were it's all happening, up, down, left, right and center, kind of abstract...

Do you smoke? Do you want to quit?

Do you like old or new prog?

Do you play fast?

Do you play in a restraint manner?

Do you care about the lyric content of a song?

Do you like argumentative discussions?

Do you care how long a pop song is?

Do you like Ornette Coleman?

Does your username imply you're playing in a big band?

Do you know sticks4drums?

Are you in love with your old school teacher?

Do you think it's wortwhile for a band to do a new album with new versions of their own songs 40 years down the road?

..take your pick, it's a wonderful thread :)

Last edited:
I had a wonderful school teacher once. I mean, she was an awful teacher but when you're fifteen and your teacher is twenty-three, attractive and prone to wearing short skirts there isn't much cause for complaint.

I was in love with my first primary school teacher, I was about 6 or 7 years old, I thought school was cool until I met my second teacher :)

Ha! ... see what I mean bigband :)

Good question... I'm not sure Nelson remember either :) ... but it's a very good thread, with lots of twists, all making for good reading, intersesting opinions and music links to be enjoyed, hell, it's a thread were it's all happening, up, down, left, right and center, kind of abstract...

Do you smoke? Do you want to quit?

Do you like old or new prog?

Do you play fast?

Do you play in a restraint manner?

Do you care about the lyric content of a song?

Do you like argumentative discussions?

Do you care how long a pop song is?

Do you like Ornette Coleman?

Does your username imply you're playing in a big band?

Do you know sticks4drums?

Are you in love with your old school teacher?

Do you think it's wortwhile for a band to do a new album with new versions of their own songs 40 years down the road?

..take your pick, it's a wonderful thread :)

cool..I'll play

Do you smoke? Do you want to quit? yes/yes

Do you like old or new prog? neither to be honest

Do you play fast? sometimes

Do you play in a restraint manner? always

Do you care about the lyric content of a song? yes

Do you like argumentative discussions? no...you gotta problem with that !!??!?!

Do you care how long a pop song is? 3:20 or less

Do you like Ornette Coleman? in doses, not a huge jazz guy

Does your username imply you're playing in a big band? No , but I'd give it a go if the opportunity arose

Do you know sticks4drums? not personally

Are you in love with your old school teacher? I had Nuns for teachers ..so ..no

Um.. maybe not recording them but a few live shows would be cool.

Gotcha. I thought it seemed wildly out of character ... one of our clever, thoughtful scribes suddenly goes feral ... I figured that Kenny might have sent you beyond a threshold ... and it should be said that some of my best friends most likely suck things :)

Did you have a chance to listen to the Zorn clip?

Hey, in many other walks of life, I go feral plenty. That's actually not-so-out-of-character for me. :)

So, what Zorn clip? I think I missed something. Still working on some FMP recs for you, btw....

MAD and bigbang - you forgot Kenny G.

Hey, in many other walks of life, I go feral plenty. That's actually not-so-out-of-character for me. :)

So, what Zorn clip? I think I missed something. Still working on some FMP recs for you, btw....

Just goes to show, you gotta watch the quiet ones :)

Zorn? This one Larry - 50 minutes of edge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCDeEv_nHw

Thanks for chasing up those links. Are you trying to find pieces that won't scare me off? I posted a couple of Art Ensemble links earlier and read up a bit on FMP ... Cecil Taylor is one of those artists. I haven't heard much of him but this free piece with Art Ensemble is in my YouTube Favourites ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah5OVkgUtF8. I can only last so long with this style though - I can only handle a few bites of steaming vindaloo.

Love his kooky approach in the intro. I love the way he plays beautiful stuff and then start breaking it down until it's anarchy ... and from the anarchy springs beauty ... and the cycle continues ... but I'm sure he sneaks in some crazy stuff to get a laugh out of the band.

I had a wonderful school teacher once. I mean, she was an awful teacher but when you're fifteen and your teacher is twenty-three, attractive and prone to wearing short skirts there isn't much cause for complaint.

I had a similar situation when I was in 10th grade, her name was Miss Gezzy and she was a French language teacher. Talk about eye popping, lol. Forty some years later I still remember her name, I wonder why?

Dennis

Back