How Does Your Band Set Up on Stage?

We are just a 3 piece. The bar we play every Friday has a POS house kit and I am a leftie. So I bring my own and we do it this way.
I can see all the chicks and all the chicks can see me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 1,679
I remember seeing Peter Gabriel in the 80's and Jerry Marotta was set up in the front of the stage, turned sideways so he was facing Gabriel in the middle of the stage. I always thought that was cool. Kind of how many of my practice situations are set up with bands, so we can all see each other. I proposed the same to various bands through the years but so far I have yet to hear "Great idea, lets do that!". Rather, "That's enough out of you. Can't you move back any further?" :)

The band I have been playing in last few years (I also played with them for a few years about ten years ago) line up in a straight line along the front with me in back. I hate it because two of the people out front don't sing and I just think those two should be further back. That's just my preference.

As long as they station the female singer directly in front of me that's really all that matters;)

Can you just set up as far back as possible?

That's all you have to know lol. Not even kidding.

I thought the drummer set up on the riser and everybody else just grabbed a spot! ;-)

Haven't gigged a while, but the stage usually would dictate setup. Had a riser a few times - thought it was cool that I could see all the players, but then EVERYBODY could see me.

We had two guitar playing vocalists, so they were typically out front, while drums, keys, bass set up behind a bit. Only once did I have to set up sideways, crammed in the corner of a tiny stage - halfway behind a curtain.

We recently decided to change our set up. Every band members sings lead on at least 3 songs. We noticed it was hard to see our keys player or me and some folks asked after seeing videos who was singing. So next gig, this weekend we will set up with keys and drums evenly spaced in back and lead guitar stage right, lead singer rhythm guitar front center, and bass stage left. Hopefully that way we can all be seen better.

I tried to change our stage plot once and it didnt go over well. I just like change every now and then!!!

I am always in the back center and then the front of the stage is as follows starting at Stage Left.

Lead Guitar, Bass, Lead Singer, Rhythm Guitar. This never changes but depending on stage size we will put the keyboard different places. The singer and both guitar players use the keyboard for different songs.

I prefer the drums on the left side of the stage (if looking at the stage from the audience , that would be on the right) but most places are set up for the drummer in the middle .

I'm back of stage in the middle. I always have the bass to the right and a guitarist to the right of him. There's a lead guitar player, two singers, and a harp player/singer in front. Then there are two more guitar players and a keyboard player/singer to the left. We even had one more guitar player when I started with this band, but he quit a few months ago. In fact, one of the singers used to also play guitar in the band too, but he hurt his hand and stopped playing. No big deal, I can play better guitar than him. Can you imagine? We had six guitarists at one time! Now we're down to a modest four.

Last edited:
I sing leads on 7-10 songs per gig, and backing vocals on all the rest of the songs. 4 of the 5 of us sing, except for the bass player. I set up in the back, on a riser off center left, and the bassist off center right. Guitars front left and right, singer in the middle. If we play a large stage, I go back center, with four across the front.

I always set up in the middle of the band, just to the rear of the front line. The only thing I can really add to this is that I've become very insistent on having a drum riser so that I can see what's going on with the rest of the band. I hate sitting with my head at waist level to every body else.

GeeDeeEmm

On a square stage, I'm in the middle at the back, with the other three guys in front.

On a wide, shallow stage (most of our gigs) we set up in a line, with me in the front, right of centre. Bass player and I do most of the singing, so we're in the middle.

I'm currently playing in two bands one is a four piece and the other is a two piece, we setup similarly every gig it varies based on the stage size and monitor locations.

With the four piece (drums, guitar/vocals, bass/vocals, and a lead singer) I setup fairly far back but in the center of the stage, guitar to my left, bass to my right, lead singer wherever the fuck he wants to go! It's the perfect setup as far as space and sound goes but it's straight up terrible if the drummer wants to be in ANY of the photos of the performance!

With the two piece (drums, guitar/vocals) I setup pretty close to the front of the stage with the primary guitar amp to my immediate left, he uses two amps and an a/b/y switch so even if the stage sound is terrible I can still hear guitar.

Depends on the size of the outfit and the size of the dais (er stage). We've even stuck guitars out in the crowd wireless because there wasn't any room.

Drum wise... minimal kit and minimal cymbals means 1 up 1 down, hats, crash and ride... maybe cowbell.

If it's a small casual then drum mics are moot.

Keys? Stacked

Amp? In the back

Horns? Sometimes; but then it gets real cozy up there.

Vocals - they're walkin' and workin' the crowd,

Monitors? Wedges or spots. I prefer a spot.

I personally like the bass off of the hats. I want to hear the keys, and the guitar(s) are usually up front vying for promotion to Diva.

The really cool casuals are drums, keys, bass, and a multi-instrumentalist (horns and reeds), maybe a vocalist which is usually a female along with the keyboardist who sings well.

I'm another one who likes the bass player to my left, same reasons as Brady and Larry mentioned.

Other than that, it doesn't matter much to me.

Back