How do you inventory your collections

Ivoryfo

So for those folks that have at least a small collection of gear, how do you go about making an inventory list? I’m thinking down the line if I were to pass, and then my spouse is stuck with it to sell. I would not want her to sell everything for 10 bucks! Ha!
I thought about making a list with descriptions and maybe even attaching photos in order to identify what is what. Otherwise she just won’t know what to do. Then encouraging her to do something like check ebay completed listings for current values. Any ideas?

Drums/cymbals are different, but with my guitars I put a sticker on each case. It includes name, serial number, year, amount I paid, and year of the guitar.

My local drum shop deals with this sort of estate thing often enough. I figure he’ll give the Mrs. a fare deal.

"Is it in the garage safely stacked?"

"Yes"

"Done"

Yes yes, expertly catalogued. 👍😁

Spreadsheet. Fields are brand, model, description, serial #, size, acquisition price, source, comments.

same here....being a sports card collector, I have been using spreadsheets for years, so it is just natural...I keep them on Goggle Drive as well so I can access and edit them anywhere

Yes, I know Excel is not a database but that is what I use. My stuff is not remotely a "collection" by any stretch of the imagination but I would like to get better at Access and have a proper database of the equipment that I do have.

So for those folks that have at least a small collection of gear, how do you go about making an inventory list? I’m thinking down the line if I were to pass, and then my spouse is stuck with it to sell. I would not want her to sell everything for 10 bucks! Ha!
I thought about making a list with descriptions and maybe even attaching photos in order to identify what is what. Otherwise she just won’t know what to do. Then encouraging her to do something like check ebay completed listings for current values. Any ideas?
I am eventually going to do that for all my things (I have tons of tools that the wife might not be even able to name). Luckily we are both healthy and she is starting a business where she will be doing just that (helping people downsize and such) so she will at least have some idea about a lot of things. but I would just do like an Excel spread chit with item number, item name, original cost, and if possible fair sale price.
Then take pictures of said item, and save them using that item number for example item #100, Item #100(1), Item #100(2), etc. that way you would have a cataloged way to see what everything is. but FFS make sure your wife knows where to find this info and can get in!
(A lot of people password protect stuff and love ones can't access it).

I also will make plans for my special items before I pass. They will be going to Columbus Pro Percussion for resale, with any proceeds going to my existing family....

I have 3 drum sets and about 8 or 10 cym. I have 4 grown children and only one of them is a musician, drummer 1st and he can play other instruments as well. So I figure he will get all of my music equipment and the rest of them can fight over the hammer and screwdriver😁😁😁

'I hope to spit it out verbally in my last 20 minutes"

sorry. that was gruesome
but so far my plan..
which is no plan ; horrible.

Good old Excel spreadsheet for me too, separate sheets for each drum kit/ various parts (and yes I've catalouged them all to the best of my knowledge through the years).

I downloaded a free home inventory list off of the web, modified it for my gear to include make, model, size and serial number of each drum and cymbal. Also, the date, place of purchase and price I paid as shown on receipt if I have one.

Last edited:
My wife is very tech-savvy and knows all about Reverb and eBay and such. She's also got several good friends who are professional musicians and who'd be able to help her figure out what the various pieces are worth (assuming my kids don't want the stuff, which I think they probably would).

The easiest way is to make a video. Describe each object with as much or as little detail as you want. Later, if that info is needed, the video can be watched, paused, rewound, fast forwarded, etc.. You could even upload it to YouTube and set it to private so that only someone with the link can access it.

I have a plan, plus a few failsafes in place. I have a notebook that catalogs every purchase I’ve made (including date, price, etc…). I’ve talked with my son about what gear he should hold on to, should I pass. Also, if anything, a good friend (the owner of a local drum shop) is the backup contact, to do a consignment/estate sale of my gear.

Back