Hi hat clutch that sounds better!

mike d

Silver Member
So I just upgraded from a Tama Road Pro Hi hat to an Iron Cobra 905.
I really like the stand, but one thing that just floored me was the difference in sound caused by the unique clutch. It definitely lets the top hat sing more.
Here's a picture:
mpuNsmzukTd1rb4RaTYObjA.jpg

The top does not use felt (although they provide an extra if you want one).
I'm impressed with this small, yet effective change.

So I just upgraded from a Tama Road Pro Hi hat to an Iron Cobra 905.
I really like the stand, but one thing that just floored me was the difference in sound caused by the unique clutch. It definitely lets the top hat sing more.

The top does not use felt (although they provide an extra if you want one).
I'm impressed with this small, yet effective change.

Actually just as effective is a hard(er) bottom felt for any clutch. Yeah the minimal 3 point contact top does make a diff, but any clutch can mimic that effect with fiber washers on the bottom of the clutch (and on top).

You'd think TAMA would've went all the way with a 3 point minimal bottom cup piece (like PEARL) and not a simple felt. AXIS HH has a 3 point minimal bottom cup.

Well, it's actually two point contact on top, and I think mechanically, and considering cymbal stresses, that makes the most sense, and is where the most gain can be had. Tama is pretty good at this stuff.

Me got's this clutch, but don't use it.

I favour the 'quick' type clutches with fibre washers.

If you add some fibre washers to the bottom of the TAMA, you'll essentially turbo charge the sound of any top cymbal.

Add a PEARL NP208 to your/any HH and you're in minimal contact land.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 335
Good stuff I was heretofore previously unaware of. Now I have to try it.

I'm definitely gonna pick up one of the Pearl bottom hat cups.
That looks like it should give the hats another boost. :)

So, I picked up the 3 point rubber bottom cymbal mount and got the pearl rubber bottom washer for the top hat, and there might be incremental improvement.
Still, by far, and unquestionably, the biggest improvement was the initial change to the two point top washer mount that came with the IC stand. It might just be my cymbals, heavy bottom, fairly light top (14" Sabian HHX Evo), but those are my observations.

The best clutch IMO is the quick release one from Gibraltar.. I have 2, one is a drop clutch.

You can have the top hat as loose as you like and it won't work itself loose because the bottom "nut" is quick release.

I have the trick quick release cymbal toppers too. Quick release is the shiz.

Back