HHX Complex

dnt

Thoughts on or experiences with Sabian’s new HHX Complex line? Thanks!

The new logo is terrible. ?

With that out of the way, I think these are fantastic cymbals. Dark, warm, full bodied, very responsive even at low volumes, just a very pleasant, rich and indeed "complex" sound. Lots of colours to be drawn out of these instruments.

I had a set of Legacys and while these are lovely, I got tired of their rather polite, "pretty" sound. Then I ordered the HHX Complex "Performance" set and was blown away. 15" Medium HH, 19" Thin Crash, 22" Medium Ride. I play jazz and they fit me perfectly. Not ideal if you need extreme cut and volume, but for mellower styles - wonderful.

With that out of the way, I think these are fantastic cymbals. Dark, warm, full bodied, very responsive even at low volumes, just a very pleasant, rich and indeed "complex" sound. Lots of colours to be drawn out of these instruments.

I had a set of Legacys and while these are lovely, I got tired of their rather polite, "pretty" sound. Then I ordered the HHX Complex "Performance" set and was blown away. 15" Medium HH, 19" Thin Crash, 22" Medium Ride. I play jazz and they fit me perfectly. Not ideal if you need extreme cut and volume, but for mellower styles - wonderful.

Agreed on the awfulness of the logos. What I think makes it worse is that there is literally no brand continuity . While some may see it as a welcome fresh start I think they could have re-worked the logo without burying the past. I'm a loyal Sabian user for over 20+ years and this is one of the things that disappoints me the most.

That being said, I totally agree with the HHX Complex. They are very musical and easy to love!

I really like the look of this pack. Could you use it for rock/pop or is it more a jazz set?

I really like the look of this pack. Could you use it for rock/pop or is it more a jazz set?
While I don't personally own the pack, but I have played the pack before. I can say it's good for the rock/pop, but I honestly stick with the AAX series for rock/pop because it performs better in that genre.

... as for the logo, I've warmed up to it (not really) but it's just not good vs. the original. Which is a shame because it was my favorite cymbal logo as a child!

... unlike Evans on the other hand, I LOVE their new logo. The old one was okay, but it felt a little too busy for me. Sorry, got sidetrack for a little bit. Cheers!

These are warm and lush sounding cymbals. If the music leaves enough space, they will work wonderfully. If you need to cut through loud guitars or keyboards there are better options. Like - R.E.M.: yes. Muse: probably. Slayer: No. :)

I have the 14” HHX Complex Medium hats and they are really great - they sound great in the mix and can be used for lot of different styles . I sold my Artisan Light hihats after getting the HHX Complex hats . I found the HHX cut through the mix better and did not get buried in the music like the Artisan Lights did .

Going ever so slightly off topic here, but has anyone else noticed the new standard HHX line? I was very much attracted to the complex cymbals but don't think they are right for the music I play. So then I checked out the HHX medium range and... Wow! I've been thinking about getting another set of 15" hats and I think the HHX mediums are the ones.

I really like the new simplified approach Sabian have taken with their cymbal lines. [insert mandatory content about the new logo ;)]

Back