Help with my drum space ( actual shameless plug to post my kit)

Since you have a blank canvas, start with some soundproofing. Better light or mood light. A place to sit.

Tapestries & fabrics, art, posters, murals for the walls. Not sure what your "aesthetic" is. Soundproofing (or even non-soundproofing) panels to give the wall some texture. Colored lighting need not be excessive ...... and also doesn't have to be always on. Just Google "drum room", and you'll get a bunch of images.

Also, that stripper pole looks waaay too thick:LOL:

Give the walls a good paint.

Get the ceiling looking smick.

Lots of rugs/carpet..... maybe some neon signs

That place could look really nice.

Hang some portraits of me up on the walls, I look fantastic in a fruit hat.

Maybe a couch, TV, stereo.

It needs a bit of softening up, it looks like it sounds really loud......hard floor and walls.

Some furniture and maybe some drapes pinned up somewhere.

Some mannequins placed around the kit.......

We don't have basements or attics over here, so I don't know what the layout is outside of the photo.

And MOST OF ALL...
A Big-ass guitar amp over here...a big-ass bass amp over there...
Maybe some keys...

Strategically placed weapons are always nice too.

(Non-drummer here)
I do wonder about the sound-proofing thing though...like does it work best for recording, does it matter if you're not recording (as far as sound quality).? I have limited space as well, but I don't think I would get noise complaints. Sound management, however...

Lighting is kinD of an issue. I kind of want low key bar lighting but I’ve been having trouble finding exactly what I want.
I like the same thing. My practice space is also my bedroom. My wife likes that atmosphere also.

I installed black lights, disco ball, party lights, and mirror wall. The room is painted dark grey over white, split by a dark stained chair rail. There are also lava lamps.

I guess the first question should be: Do you own the residence? This will determine how much and what kind of work you can do. A landlord might not like the bar room atmosphere.

Anything that makes it fun-ner, encourages motivation is a plus for me.
Forgot to consider, as Mr. Run did, whether you own or rent...

Lava lamps?!?!?!?! Hippie. /s/

Mate, where do I start? The days of cookie-cutter drum caves and identical Pinterest-approved decor are heading out the door.

The whole eclectic nature of having different types of design styles mixed together is something you need to consider. How can you make this room your own?

This could include painting fun shapes on your wall with colour, choosing a coloured furniture piece instead of neutral, and much, much, much, much more. It is easier to integrate more colour when you have a white base between elements, so if you are uncomfortable with pairing multiple colours or scared to do too much, this is an amazing option.* :unsure: 😁

Nevermind the bs, do what makes you happy mate!!:D(y)

*Random online quotes from pretentious interior designers used for comedic effect!

I suggest for the lighting to give yourself a range of options. While it’s nice to replicate a certain look, you will want full on lighting at times to do other things like setting up, etc.
Dimmable, Direct and indirect. There is a ton of YouTube DIY Ideas.

When I was thinking about setting up my drum room/man cave, this video…
Transformation starts about 2 minute mark, though the entire video is very good.

He gave me a bunch of ideas to think about, which led to other videos doing the same.

I’d treat the walls with acoustic panels to kill flutter and slapback. The open ceiling would get Rockwool stuffed between the floor joists.

LED lighting fixtures have a nice variety of design of mounts and light quality. Very low power consumption and long lasting.

Nice snare, too!

I agree with others too...handsome set.

I always liked the look of the black heads too...reminds me of the event horizon. Mine are all clear, 'cept my black stock kick reso, and one snare is frosted on top the other is coated.

YES! I only have two snares...I know...shocking!

Looks like it’s an office and drum room. How do get any work done with your DW kit beckoning to be played? My last drum room was an unfinished basement. It was an acoustic nightmare till it filled up with our downsizing junk- when moved from large to small all the unused stuff ended up in basement. You have a really nice space to play with.

I suggest for the lighting to give yourself a range of options. While it’s nice to replicate a certain look, you will want full on lighting at times to do other things like setting up, etc.
Dimmable, Direct and indirect. There is a ton of YouTube DIY Ideas.

When I was thinking about setting up my drum room/man cave, this video…
Transformation starts about 2 minute mark, though the entire video is very good.

He gave me a bunch of ideas to think about, which led to other videos doing the same.
I LOVE those types of instructional videos, BUT that dude's garage is HUGE!
I have considered the garage...kind of, but it's a one-car garage and it also houses things like table saw, chop saw, router, drill press, bench grinder...etc... and those things cannot go elsewhere. Also...the basement is just too damp (Wisconsin)
So...living room it is...now I just gotta convince her to let me move the bass amp, guitar amp and keyboard and computer there too They're in a room that would not accommodate a drum set). She's not blonde, so "Hey!...Look over there!" won't work.

I agree with others too...handsome set.

I always liked the look of the black heads too...reminds me of the event horizon. Mine are all clear, 'cept my black stock kick reso, and one snare is frosted on top the other is coated.

YES! I only have two snares...I know...shocking!
Me too! In fact that Gretsch snare in the pic I just bought a month ago. I only had one since starting again!

Anything that makes it fun-ner, encourages motivation is a plus for me.
Forgot to consider, as Mr. Run did, whether you own or rent...

Lava lamps?!?!?!?! Hippie. /s/
I own my house. I had my kit in my downstairs family room but it was too loud and my neighbor could definitely hear me. Not that he ever complained, but he’s such a good neighbor I want to keeps things on the up.

Back