Heads - EC2 vs G2... I am not happy with my current heads.

Sopranos

Hey DrummerWorld Community -

I currently have a set of Evans EC2 coated but I am not completely happy with the "plasticky" sound/attack of the head.... edit: I am referring to my toms.

With that said, I am wondering about the EC2 clear or trying the G2 coated.... in either case I would also use the recommended reso head as well. Since I am playing in a bedroom I can use the slight muffling of a coated head or the built in ring of the EC2's but I'm not a fan of the plastic feel of the EC2 frosted. I like a pretty deep thud with a nice tone and not too much overtones since I already have a challenge of room acoustics.

Any advice or experience with the differences between these heads would be appreciated.

BTW - I have a new Pearl Masters MCX maple kit in case certain heads are a better fit.

TIA!

Last edited:
I have used G2's in the past and didn't care for them. But it might have been the drums more than the heads. I am now using clear EC2's now and this is the second set I have had, they take a beating and last a long time, 8 months on the last ones, they saw a lot of work last year, and now 7 on these. They tune quickly and easily. And the mix of resonation and overtones is pretty nice. These are clear, and have more attack than a coated head I am sure. I know the plastic sounding attack you speak of, and don't feel like i get that from these.

Despite what Evans says--that their frosted coating is identical to their white coating except for the pigment--I have consistently found that the frosty coating gives exactly what you say it does, a plasticky attack.

If I were you I'd pick up one of each of the heads you're considering (EC2 clear and G2 coated) for the same drum, say a 12". Try them one after the other and you'll get a pretty good idea what a set of them will sound like without having to invest in a whole set of heads you might end up not liking.

Loose tunings will eventually bring a clicky attack. Tune up a little, then, if need be, a little tape/napkin/moongel/sofa cushion/cat/whatever to bring back the thud. Id stick with the G2 for now, as it's a lot easier to tape a ringy head than to get an integrally muted head to ring more. Once you're dialed in, try a more muted head on your next re-head, if need be.

I am using coated Emps over Ambs, I don't find I need to dampen at all.

i have the coated G2's on my toms ( 10",12",16" ), they are excellent, i get a nice deep warm tone, very durable, i've no complaints and would highly recomend them...

Try putting heavy blankets in your room draped over furniture to help absorb some of that room resonance. Also if you have hardwood floors put some area rugs or something down on them to reduce the flutter and bounce.

As for the heads a G2 is a really good head and for me delivers a good tone. I do notice a difference in the "attack" tone you get between Evans and Remo, I think evans heads in general have a little more of that plastic tone to the stick attack compared to remo.

I do notice a difference in the "attack" tone you get between Evans and Remo, I think evans heads in general have a little more of that plastic tone to the stick attack compared to remo.

I have noticed this as well and I prefer the sound of Remo. However, Evans lasts considerably longer and tunes up more easily and stays in tune longer.

Back