Have you owned/gigged an aluminum INDē WaFarer kit?

It is for adjusting sustain . The sustain of the drum changes as you move it up and down the bracket .
I'm talking about floor tom legs and kick drum spur bracket not mounted tom. Legs and spurs. The contraption for legs and spurs. I had to loosen the drum key bolts and the wing nut to adjust spurs then tighten all 3 again, and wing nut was always in way of the drum key bolts. Same with floor tom legs. That is a sustain dampening system? How does sustain get impacted via that kick drum spur bracket? Tom legs?

Rattlin' Bones, thanks for ALL of that INFO! Awesome to know.

I have a cymbal arm/BR2xl setup on my Slingerland bass. It was a bit time consuming at first to set right.

BUT, it is SOLID.

So what do the drum key bolts actually do on the bracket (not the memory lock)?
They allow you set the tom anywhere (almost) along that bracket. Basically, you can move that attachment with the wing bolt from the bottom all the way up to where it starts to curve toward the side of the tom. This can increase/lessen sustain. The drum key bolts loosen to move the piece, and tighten to lock it in place.

You'd set the memory lock on the tom leg so that you can always repeat your setting. I guess the idea is that you don't have to do anything to the drum key bolts once you have the wing bolt piece set where you want it. (And also the ones on the memory lock once you have those set on the legs.

Last edited:
I am really liking the sounds out of the different INDe drums in demos. I thought they would be prissy sounding jazz kits meant for tapletop-tight heads :D but they have some balls when you want it. The prices are not bad, either. I will still probably get Ludwigs just because Ludwig, but if any hardware sucks, I think I know where I'm going. Light hardware is something I definitely aspire to.

Not sure I'm buying that a small incremental movement up and down on floor tom can create measurable or audible changes in shell "resonance". Sounds gimmicky to me, a solution to a non-existing problem. I move it 1/2 inch and my floor tom sounds different? I re-tune heads and I'd need to change the bracket position because heads are impacting the sound of the drum if the theory is carried further. But I can hear the difference when I tune the heads. I'd need bat ears to perceive the difference moving the bracket position a few millimeters. I'll take a simple lightweight bracket with just one wing nut any day. And on the kick drum spur bracket there is no way it can change any thing relative to kick sound. Looks like it's used on kick just because it works with spurs and no need to manufacture a different type of bracket. I had an INDe kit and never even knew bracket was supposed to impact resonance. It just got in the way. I sold the kit. Really nice Keller shells finished nicely and very light. Sounded good. Looked good. Easy to transport. If you can live with the funky hardware and all the adjustments then they are a great deal right now. I saw several on sale just above $1,000.

But give me simple brackets and one wing nut any day.

Last edited:
I’ll be checking some out soon. Josh is going to drill a shell for me so I’ll be driving down there next week.

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone here actually owns one or has played one for an extended period of time. Thinking of getting 12/14/20 and adding a 16" bass drum if possible.

Way late to the party, but this thread is somewhat comical to me in that the INDe brackets are designed to be set once for a given set-up with subsequent use involving only the wing-nut for set-up/tear-down. There should be no reason to be adjusting anything with a drum key after the initial set-up. Rick is spot on - there is nothing funky about the mounts if you understand the design.

I don't adjust the tom bracket flex or "sustain" feature and the only reason to adjust any other settings (keyrods w/a key) would be to accommodate a larger or smaller L-rod or floor tom leg. For example, going from 9.5mm to a 12.7 mm - which qualifies as a set-up change in my view.

I've had several kits with all INDe hardware and have had no issues . I'd like to see an option for smaller wing-nuts because they protrude more than I care for, but otherwise Josh does a great job with his products.

Just that-- ever played one at any length? How are they for gigging? What have you used them for? Any limitations?
Yep. Love mine. I got them so as to avoid taking my really nice solid shell kit on outdoor gigs, questionable bar gigs, and times when they have to sit in really hot or cold car all day while I'm at work. Added bonuses: they're extremely light and can stay out in the garage, next to the car, for quick loading. They really do sound great. Not as full sounding as my Craviottos, mind you, but great nonetheless. You wouldn't be dissapointed.

I opted for the 12 and 15 toms, but got the 22" bass drum. The ONLY downside is you really have to order custom sized cases from Beato to fit them properly. I got a 10" deep bass bag and a combo bag for the two toms.

Fair warning - I owned an INDe kit. Not an aluminum, but still an INDe with INDe hardware. I sold it because of the hardware. Take a look at the floor tom leg brackets and kick drum spur brackets. When using the memory locks there is something like 3 or 5 or 155 drum key bolts and wing nuts and golly-gee-who-knows-what nuts and bolts you gotta fiddle with. And some of them are hard to get to ya gotta angle this thing this way and finagle this another way. That's on all three floor tom legs and two kick drum spur brackets. In the back of a dark stage before a show it was taking me 20 minutes of fiddling to get the kick and floor tom set up. The hardware on INDE kits is supposed to be a difference maker - for me at gigs it sure was. It was a bad difference. I sold them.

Josh is a great guy but the highlight of the business - the hardware - is a total fail for gigging drummers that gotta set up and be ready to play quickly. I'll take a single wing nut turn tighten done repeat any day or nite.
This was my exact concern when I first started looking at these kits and all of their hardware in general

When I ordered my INDe set I emailed Josh about using DW spurs on the bass drum. He had no problem with that as long as I supplied them, which I did. Tom brackets, both mounted and floor, have been set it and forget it. No issues, all those key head bolts seem to have a Loctite type material in the threads to prevent loosening.

Attachments

• 589FD7ED-A602-46EF-8951-A5EEFA167011.jpeg
    589FD7ED-A602-46EF-8951-A5EEFA167011.jpeg
    996.3 KB · Views: 15
Not sure I'm buying that a small incremental movement up and down on floor tom can create measurable or audible changes in shell "resonance". Sounds gimmicky to me, a solution to a non-existing problem. I move it 1/2 inch and my floor tom sounds different? I re-tune heads and I'd need to change the bracket position because heads are impacting the sound of the drum if the theory is carried further. But I can hear the difference when I tune the heads. I'd need bat ears to perceive the difference moving the bracket position a few millimeters. I'll take a simple lightweight bracket with just one wing nut any day. And on the kick drum spur bracket there is no way it can change any thing relative to kick sound. Looks like it's used on kick just because it works with spurs and no need to manufacture a different type of bracket. I had an INDe kit and never even knew bracket was supposed to impact resonance. It just got in the way. I sold the kit. Really nice Keller shells finished nicely and very light. Sounded good. Looked good. Easy to transport. If you can live with the funky hardware and all the adjustments then they are a great deal right now. I saw several on sale just above $1,000.

But give me simple brackets and one wing nut any day.
How many times does someone need to point out that you misunderstood something?
Even provided a video ….

I’ve had Inde mounts for about 4 years now , no issues …

How many times does someone need to point out that you misunderstood something?
Even provided a video ….

I’ve had Inde mounts for about 4 years now , no issues …
I wanted to like my INDe kit but sold it. How many times do I have to explain that they were a hassle for gigging. If they sat in my basement they would be fine. But just too much extra time and effort to gig. Sorry. That is my experience.

I don't have any experience with the aluminum drums but I did want to mention the hardware...

I use the INDe mounts on my gigging kit and I love them. Being able to use any size L-rod is a huge feature since I have stands with 9.5, 10,5 and 12.7mm L-rods. Once I had an issue with one T-handle that stripped so Josh sent me some key head bolts for ALL of my mounts free of charge. The key heads negate the one small issue I had, which was the T-handle wing screw being a little too large for some positions. I originally thought the "tunable suspension" thing was a little gimmicky but once I had a few actually on my drums and I got to play around with that feature I did notice a difference, especially on bigger drums.

I love the fact they're rock solid and easy to adjust. In my experience they speed up set up on stage because you only have to loosen/tighten a single key bolt and the memory lock is so big and chunky that it holds the drum in place really well.

I wanted to like my INDe kit but sold it. How many times do I have to explain that they were a hassle for gigging. If they sat in my basement they would be fine. But just too much extra time and effort to gig. Sorry. That is my experience.

I played dozens of gigs with my former INDe kit and never found any additional time setting up the kit . In fact they reduced time due to the excellent memory locks included as part of the suspension mounts . It is all past history now anyways right ?

Last edited:
I’ve had my kit a couple of years now. I haven’t had any issues with the hardware or the suspension mounts. Works great in my book.

Does anyone on this thread own an iNDE Aluminum set in non-Wayfarer sizing? Debating a 13/16/24 or 13/16/22 configuration as a live set so my wood shells can live at home. Jenkins Martin was my first choice but they aren’t taking orders at the moment. INDE and Honest Abe were my other choices - all 3 companies make unique non-wood drums that appeal to my eyes/ears, and the aluminum options are really cool.

Back