Has anyone tried ink stamping their own sticks?

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I was thinking about having a rubber stamp made with my name and band logo (there are several companies that make custom rubber stamps). Has anyone ever tried this? The smallest height I've found to get made is 1". The width doesn't matter as much.

I am questioning that even on the 1" high stamp, would that be able to make a clean transfer on something like a drum stick? I'm just concerned that the middle of the stamp will print fine, but the ends (top and bottom of text) might not be clear, or even show up at all, due to the roundness of the stick. All the rubber stamps I've seen online are flat. Obviously, a curved one would be ideal.

I know there are places that offer custom drumsticks/printing online, but they tend to be fairly expensive and the turnaround time is not great. Plus, you typically have to buy your sticks from them, and I have a ton of "blanks" that I can use, so I only need the stamp and not sticks. Even if they were able to print my blanks, there is still the added expense and time of shipping them to/from.

Opinions/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

V

You could simply 'roll' the stamp along the curvature of the stick, and it should print fine. The bigger issue will be the ink smudging and rubbing-off onto your hand.

I know there's someone out there who'll imprint sticks for you, but I don't know what the quality of the sticks will be.

Bermuda

Along the lines of what Bermuda said. I have a feeling that you'll need something stronger than typical stamping ink, probably something that needs to be heat set to bind with the coating of the stick. Otherwise it'll rub off in no time.

Probably better off with a little engraver or dremel kinda thing.

For an alternative, print out your signature onto some clear labels and then attach them to your sticks. It may be a bit slippery, but perhaps not more so than applying more lacquer to your sticks.

Maybe buy stencil stick on letters then stain or spray paint your sticks, peel off stick on should look nice. Or as Doc suggest use a Dremel or I use to use wood burning tool-I use to love to wood burn (I did this wood duck and then added water color to wood and it turned out just gorgeous).

IMHO, this is a distraction from actually playing the instrument.
No one really cares what name is on your stick

You could simply 'roll' the stamp along the curvature of the stick, and it should print fine. The bigger issue will be the ink smudging and rubbing-off onto your hand.

I know there's someone out there who'll imprint sticks for you, but I don't know what the quality of the sticks will be.

Bermuda

Bermuda, rolling would be the way to go. Many years ago I worked as a design engineer at one of the M&M factories. They also roll the letters on the candy shells.

Back