Has any one cut down ludwig power toms

EDrums

I am considering cutting down my 80's ludwig power toms to standard depth. Aside from having to put new bearing edges I am wondering if there are any problems in doing this. It looks like I can cut where the first ( bottom ) lug holes are and use the top second hole as a template for drilling a new top hole? My reason for wanting to do this is to make the tom angles more manageable for playing which has been an annoyance since I bought them. ( I am relatively short ), and to cut down on the volume a little. I am considering doing this because I haven't been able to sell them for what I think is a resonable price and I have always liked the sound of them. The other question is do you all think I would be ruining them?

Thanks

I am considering cutting down my 80's ludwig power toms to standard depth. Aside from having to put new bearing edges I am wondering if there are any problems in doing this. It looks like I can cut where the first ( bottom ) lug holes are and use the top second hole as a template for drilling a new top hole? My reason for wanting to do this is to make the tom angles more manageable for playing which has been an annoyance since I bought them. ( I am relatively short ), and to cut down on the volume a little. I am considering doing this because I haven't been able to sell them for what I think is a resonable price and I have always liked the sound of them. The other question is do you all think I would be ruining them?

Thanks

The badges won't be centered, Vent holes won't be centered minor details.
resale value may drop, ans it may be expensive to have 4 or 5 drums cut and
edges re-done.

The badges won't be centered, Vent holes won't be centered minor details.
resale value may drop, ans it may be expensive to have 4 or 5 drums cut and
edges re-done.

Badges are located on the top of half of the drums with the badges. (These are olive badges) Thanks though cause you made me look to make sure.!! :)

The resale value may go down but power toms are not real desirable for collectors anyway.

The process is very straight forward. You need a table saw. Do not try it with a hand saw

Watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHRvQweyeCE

The rollers he is using can be ordered at harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30026

Then you will have to cut your bearing edges. A router table is the way to go for this

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biFjzO5kY4o

Use a square and lay out your lugs on the bottom exactly as they are on the top.

I would use tongue oil to seal the exposed wood on the new edges.

I hope this helps.

You have the lug hole thing figured out, that's the easiest method. Gives you a reference to drill another hole. Rman gave you all the cool video tips. You certainly aren't "ruining" them. There's plenty of those drums around, and they have little resale value, as you've found out. You're drums will be much more "user friendly" after the surgery, and that's a big plus. I "almost had" to do this, with my Rogers project. Turn my 16x16 into a 16x14. Fortunately, my reso. bearing edge reconstruction worked like a charm, so my floor remains a true 16x16. A buddy of mine does this often enough, it's like making coffee to him.

Thanks guys the video's helped, I'm still not sure if I am going to do it or not (more of an emotional thing -- First new set), any other gotcha's i need to be aware of

Thanks,

Thanks

The reason you cannot sell them for a good price is because the market is flooded with good quality instruments that everyone is trying to unload - and that's just retail stores. Half of all drum sets ever made are now on Craiglist.

I would sell them for whatever I could and get another set that is more to my liking. Yes, you wouldn't get much for your old set, but on the plus side, you wouldn't have to pay much for another set.

If you have the proper tools and woodworking skills, I'd say go for it. If you don't have those things, you might botch them on a DIY job, or pay a lot to have somebody else do it. In that case, I'd try to find a different kit.

I would sell them for whatever I could and get another set that is more to my liking. Yes, you wouldn't get much for your old set, but on the plus side, you wouldn't have to pay much for another set.
Unless I want a high quality set like say a Unix, or Spirit perhaps... but I do get your point.

Well, the market is flooded with all types of drums, from all years. Just keep your eyes open on eBay, and you'll eventually find your finish (probably) in traditional sizes. And/or if power sizes come up first, buy those and cut them down. You'll still have your original toms (for sentimental purposes).

Back