Hands and feet slipping positions

rocker261

I have a minor issue with my sticks slowly creeping forward in my hands, so my grip gets further back towards the end of the sticks, and also my feet slowly moving towards the back of the kick pedals (away from the beater). I find myself having to readjust every so often.

I play matched grip with my hands, and heel up with the feet. I can't quite figure out why this is happening, so if anyone may have suggestions?

Stick creep is very common. As long as you aren't consistently dropping sticks, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Better to have a looser grip, and learn/incorporate micro-adjustments (gravity slides) to reposition your sticks, than try to lock them in place with a rigid grip.

Re your feet, the likely culprit is excess/unnecessary tension in your hamstrings. Or tension elsewhere causing your hamstrings to contract.

You may need to reevaluate throne height, and distance from your kick. Also check how your torso is positioned in relation to your legs. A hunched back will promote contraction through torso, and into the legs.

For now, focus on keeping the ball of your foot/feet on the top half of your pedal(s). That may mean adjusting your throne position, which may ripple through other things as well. Well worth the time/effort if it leads to more efficiently effective playing.

I use matched grip, and I play heel-down. Everything is constantly in motion, and as I see it, that demands that we become so familiar with adjusting our hands and feet while we play, that we do it without thinking, and especially, without losing the beat.

I noticed that I would encounter this same thing when I was just a bit too far from the kit. It almost turns into a sub-conscious reaction I think. GET IN THERE CLOSER.
I think it might minimize the problem? Yeah?

I have a minor issue with my sticks slowly creeping forward in my hands, so my grip gets further back towards the end of the sticks, and also my feet slowly moving towards the back of the kick pedals (away from the beater). I find myself having to readjust every so often.

I play matched grip with my hands, and heel up with the feet. I can't quite figure out why this is happening, so if anyone may have suggestions?
This pretty common to have these issues. Just adjust as needed. But look at what you are doing maybe you will come up with a solution too.

Attachments

• 20190117_181731.jpg
    20190117_181731.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 3
Back