Gretsch Renown '57s Jazz Bop Shell Packs Now Deep Discounted?

I'm not a big fan of the chevrons on this kit but with this price I should be able to live with them if I can make them less viewable. Thanks!

I don't know if they sanded the laquer area first so it would stick better or if the glue residue would be a problem, but it may be a case where yu can take off the decals then buff out the laquer and have a soid blue, red or black kit with no logo.
PC

And even if the 57 Chevy thing isn't quite your bag, the construction and sound of this kit is top notch nonetheless.

I saw on another drum forum where someone removed the chevrons entirely, without any problems. Just thought I would throw that out there to anyone who does not like the chevrons, they are easily removable. Great price on a nice kit!

Edit: Just found the thread over on DS. Here's some pics of the chevron removal.

Attachments

• gretsch1.jpg
    gretsch1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3,243
  • gretsch2.jpg
    gretsch2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,855
  • gretsch3.jpg
    gretsch3.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,744
Hello All,
Very dishonest company . I seriously pondered returning them for full refund and buying from another site ;but as of 2 weeks ago ,I could not find the Motor City Blue color . Jazz Guy

That really sucks that they wouldn't honor their 30 day price match. I'll be sure to avoid doing business with them and thanks for sharing. There are still some Motor City Blue kits on Ebay. I don't know if you still have the option to return them but I would if I were you. Even if you get hit with a re-stock fee you'll still come out ahead. Plus they desreve it after not honoring their policy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Dru...522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cc7297e2

I saw on another drum forum where someone removed the chevrons entirely, without any problems. Just thought I would throw that out there to anyone who does not like the chevrons, they are easily removable. Great price on a nice kit!

Edit: Just found the thread over on DS. Here's some pics of the chevron removal.

Do you have a link to the actual thread? I'd like to see how he did it and if he had to clean up the drums afterwards.
PC

Do you have a link to the actual thread? I'd like to see how he did it and if he had to clean up the drums afterwards.
PC

Here you go: http://www.drumsmith.com/showthread.php?t=32847&highlight=renown

You may have to be a member to view it. He doesn't go into too much detail, you just have to go slow, and beware that the chevron may not come off in one piece. If they tear, be careful of jagged edges that may cut you, or scratch the finish. Just go slow.

Thanks for posting the photos showing removal of the chevrons. Some may feel they give this particular set some character, but I really like the clean look of this kit in a solid color. So the chevrons are actually thin metal? I had assumed they were some type of "sticker" with chrome trim. I wonder how you go about loosening up the chevron? Do you try to lift one edge first and go from there, or is there some type of adhesive you first need to loosen up with heat?

Thanks for posting the photos showing removal of the chevrons. Some may feel they give this particular set some character, but I really like the clean look of this kit in a solid color. So the chevrons are actually thin metal? I had assumed they were some type of "sticker" with chrome trim. I wonder how you go about loosening up the chevron? Do you try to lift one edge first and go from there, or is there some type of adhesive you first need to loosen up with heat?

Eh, I think removing the chevron will decrease its value, but increase those of everyone else who left it on. So by all means people, tear it off :)

I sincerely doubt that the value of hundresds of kits that Kaman is blowing out for ridicluous prices would increase as a result of a few people taking the chevrons off their drums. But... you never know. That blue kit does look very nice without them.
PC

I'm not especially a Gretsch fan, at least not the lower/mid range stuff, but that kit is just so cool for a little over £500, I'd buy one for that price if it were available here. You'd struggle to get a bottom range Pearl Vision for that!
Me too, it makes me jealous.

Alright, I'm another victim of this brutal marketing scheme. I put a down payment on apparently one of the few red bop kits up here. Kit should be in my possession next week.

Many thanks to Mr. evilg99 for his direction towards L&M (apparently they called Gretsch to get the kits rebated in Canada as they were losing out to customers shopping south of the border ... or this is how it was spun to me anyway).

I had been looking at getting a bop kit in one of the "pro" lines (New Classics, Ludwig Classic Maples, etc.) for some time, but these things are a lot of drum for not a lot of money (relatively speaking).

Now I have a head start in saving for those Guru Classics ....... I'm coming for them Andy! ;-)

Best,
radman

The only tricky thing will be the the 18" bass. I'm gonna need to work with that to get some punch out of it. It's rather quiet so far.

Larry do you have an update on this bass drum ? I must admit I am tempted to grab one. I am also seeing the 5-piece rock set version for 999.

A little something to go with those '57 Renowns

So I have a few of the Gibraltar flat base stands and I really like them...but I really liked this whole set of Lugwig Atlas Classic stands. Cool features and proof that Ludwig can engineer decent hardware.
I got the hihat stand, snare drum stand, straight stand and boom stand... and along with the new Jojo pedal and the Gibraltar red/black/white matching throne that is on the way, it all fits in that small-ish Meinl Cajon bag. Very lightweight yet study.

I have to admit, the bag was inspired by the ultralight hardware packs that Steve Maxwell's have put together, check those videos out on youtube if you're interested in this kind of thing. Vintage/modern. Love it.
Sorry for the exceedingly crappy picture quality.

Attachments

• AtlasClassic2.JPG
    AtlasClassic2.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 1,308
Re: A little something to go with those '57 Renowns

So I have a few of the Gibraltar flat base stands and I really like them...but I really liked this whole set of Lugwig Atlas Classic stands. Cool features and proof that Ludwig can engineer decent hardware.
I got the hihat stand, snare drum stand, straight stand and boom stand... quote]

Wow, our kits are going to be nearly identical. I too went with the Ludwig Classic hardware. I really liked the over lapping leg feature and the minimalist design of the hardware in general. The hi hat stand is suprisingly sturdy. No rocking what so ever. Already had a Ludwig Standard snare stand so I'll stick with that but the rest of the hardware will all be classic flat base stands. For the pedal I decided on the Atlas Classic. (single pedal) It's a really smooth pedal and as a minor benefit it matches everything else. No doubt that Ludwig has made major gains in the hardware department. They've always made great sounding drums but there always seemed to be something lacking in their hardware for me. No longer the case. Now I just need to pick out a nice sounding set of Zildjian K's. :)

Yes, a set of Zildjian K's is just what you need. I had been thinking about getting a set of K's for a long time and I'm glad I finally did. Be careful though, the K stands for Krack...they are very addictive. I bought one ride and that turned into 2 rides, 2 crashes and a set of hats within 1 week.

The Atlas stands are great, just one observation so far...the hihat stand is too tall, I am going to have to cut it down. The top tube wont telescope down into the base tube any more than what is in the picture. That's a little annoying to have to do that to a new stand, but I'm doing it. Brave soul here with my pipe cutter....

The Atlas stands are great, just one observation so far...the hihat stand is too tall, I am going to have to cut it down. The top tube wont telescope down into the base tube any more than what is in the picture. That's a little annoying to have to do that to a new stand, but I'm doing it. Brave soul here with my pipe cutter....

Really? From the looks of it, unless that top tube is freakishly long, it looks like it should go further down. Sure it's not just caught on part of the pull rod mechanism?

Really? From the looks of it, unless that top tube is freakishly long, it looks like it should go further down. Sure it's not just caught on part of the pull rod mechanism?
Yes, really, 100% absolutely. The top pipe 'stops' inside the bottom pipe, it will not go any further down. I imagine it's to keep the top pipe from interfering with the pedal spring adjustment. I'm gonna ask someone else who has one of these if they notice this before I cut anything....

Yes, really, 100% absolutely. The top pipe 'stops' inside the bottom pipe, it will not go any further down. I imagine it's to keep the top pipe from interfering with the pedal spring adjustment. I'm gonna ask someone else who has one of these if they notice this before I cut anything....

I lowered mine all the way down and measured 7" from the wing nut to the bottom of the Aerodisc. You can check yours and see if it's the same before cutting. This isn't an issue for me because I position the hats about 2" high from the tube bottoming out. If you want the hats lower I don't see any issue with cutting the tube. Just trim an inch at a time until you get them where you want em. Good luck.

Hey, I just re-looked at your pic and something doesn't look right if you're saying that tube is all the way down in the pic. I can't see the top of the rod in your pic. Here's another measurement for you to check. I measured 8.5" from the top of the clutch to the top of the rod. Again this is with the tube all the way down and cymbals mounted.

Last edited:
OK, the drum kit has arrived. As promised earlier in this thread here's some pics. Still waiting on some of the stands to come in. I just borrowed some cymbals from my other kit in the mean time. Love these drums! They tuned up really nice for out of the box. I swapped out the snare straps for Ludwig cords and replaced the bass drum reso head. The supplied EQ4 was to dead for my liking, plus this one matches the off white chevrons perfectly. Zero regrets on this purchase. Get em while you can!

Attachments

• DSC01860.JPG
    DSC01860.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 1,323
  • DSC01867.JPG
    DSC01867.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,272
OK, the drum kit has arrived. As promised earlier in this thread here's some pics. Still waiting on some of the stands to come in. I just borrowed some cymbals from my other kit in the mean time. Love these drums! They tuned up really nice for out of the box. I swapped out the snare straps for Ludwig cords and replaced the bass drum reso head. The supplied EQ4 was to dead for my liking, plus this one matches the off white chevrons perfectly. Zero regrets on this purchase. Get em while you can!
Very nice looking little kit! Is that a sticker you put on the bass reso?

Back