Gretsch New Classics owners help!

Cleforo

Hi!

I was earlier planning on purchasing the Sonor Select Force Jungle kit to be used strictly for jazz (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90082). The user "dmacc" preferred the New Classics over the Sonors, and I believe I am looking for the exact thing as he was!
However I'm extremely cautious when it comes to purchasing things, especially online without testing or even seeing them in person.

So, I have two questions that I need someone to shed light upon:

1) Cases: I read somewhere that someone had had trouble fitting the drums into cases, is this true? also, are there any cases that would be more fitting than others for the NC's? (I'm planning on purchasing cases of the brand "Hardcase")

2) Finishes: I'm considering two finish options - one would be the satin natural finish (very classy looking) and the other would be the Satin Walnut Burst finish. The SWB finish looks great, and is the one I prefer, however I came over a picture online which looked awful to my eyes.

This is the one I like:
imgres

This is the one I do not like:
imgres

The question is: which is the more accurate finish of the kit? Is picture B looking so pale only because of the lighting, or is that what it looks like in reality?

If anyone can answer these questions, then thank you!!!

/Oskar

Unfortunately the pictures don't work on my computer :( one thing I do know is that Gretsch's Satin Natural finish is beautiful. My kit is in Satin Natural and it looks great.

Peace

Dmacc here again and still love them! Hope you like them as well should you decide to order them.

I am able to easily fit the 12" in a Protection Racket 12x8 Standard Tom Case w/ Rims. Example: http://www.interstatemusic.com/8150-Protection-Racket-12x8-Standard-Tom-Case-w-Rims-5012R.aspx

The floor tom fits in the standard P/R floor tom bag.

As far as color, what Swexx provided is a fair sample.

The "swatch" on Gretsch's site is also a fair sample: http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=571#colors Remember though, different monitors can show colors slightly a little different. Also, being a natural finish, much of the tone of the color will depend on how the wood takes the finish. If you want less chance of a difference, you may be better off with a wrap.

Excluding the snare which is a USA Custom, here's what mine looks like....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!
Still need someone's opinion on the Satin Walnut Burst though.
What a relief to hear that the drums fit in the bags. I asked the people at Thomann.de about the case/bag thing as well, the response was:

"Hi Oskar,

i know nothing about a problem with the New Classic Serie and the Cases.
Especially the Hardcase Cases are big enough for every Set I know.

Best regards
Jürgen Pfeiffer
Drum-Abteilung
Fachhotline"

So that's a relief :)
We'll see when the day comes for me to switch to Gretsch, today my better half was not very supportive of my investing plans :/ But I guess it could be worse, the Yammies are great for any kind of music - they're just not the sound I'm looking for / dreaming of.

/Oskar

Alright people, I now took the leap and ordered a Gretsch New Classic Bop kit in Satin Walnut Burst!!! Will take a while to get them as they weren't in stock at the moment. I am currently praying that the finish will be one I like, and if it is I'll order the 20" kick, 16" FT and 14x5.5" snare to complement the kit.

I'm super excited!!!!

Unfortunately the pictures don't work on my computer :( one thing I do know is that Gretsch's Satin Natural finish is beautiful. My kit is in Satin Natural and it looks great.

Peace

I have the Satin Natural finish as well and it's a very pure classy look.

Alright people, I now took the leap and ordered a Gretsch New Classic Bop kit in Satin Walnut Burst!!! Will take a while to get them as they weren't in stock at the moment. I am currently praying that the finish will be one I like, and if it is I'll order the 20" kick, 16" FT and 14x5.5" snare to complement the kit.

I'm super excited!!!!

Congratulations! I hope you like them as well as the rest of us that have them.

Back