Gretsch Catalina Ash vs Custom Classic Pro Jazz Birch

scoreking81

Hi,
so im getting a jazz kit for graduation and here are the 2 options that im looking at for the $500 or under price range.
The first one is a slightly used gretsch catalina ash kit with a 22" kick, 14"snare, and 8", 10" and 12" toms and no hardware other than mounting. I feel that this kit would be alright strictly for jazz and bebop stuff but not as versatile if i needed it for a rock gig.
The second is a Custom Classic Pro Jazz Birch kit with an 18" kick, 14" snare, and 12" and 14" toms, also a full hardware pack (kick pedal, 2 cymbal stands, hi hat stand). I think this kit would be better but im not sure. Please gimme some opinions.
Thanks

Personally i'd go with the gretsch catalina. Who manufactures the other kit?

With the gretsch having a 22" bass drum you could easily tune it if you need a different sound -like for a rock gig or something. You may be able to pick up a 14" tom cheaply somewhere later so you have larger toms to choose from -or pick heads that will help you get a lower sound if you want to play rock.

I always go with named and well known brands. And even though youre getting a used kit with less gear for your money -the quality of the drums will probably be higher than that of the other kit (although ive never seen the other kit)

The custom classics seem like they're made real well. I dont like their sound as much as the Gretsch jazz kit. Go with Gretsch, they make nothing but good drums and have forever. Every time I've been behind any Gretsch kit I have always said, man these drums sound sweet. Plus, you'll probably have an easier time selling them down the road than the Custom Classics.

Catalina Ash vote. The Grestch is more versatile than the CC Jazz set. Yes you can play rock with the birch CC Jazz but you'll be limited and it"s not the same feeling.

I own a Grestch Catalina Ash kit and love it. I bought it around two months ago. My band plays classic rock, some 80's hair band stuff and a lot of punk and some originals. The kit works great for all of this. I replaced the stock heads with Evans Onyx beaters and reso heads, kick also, and that really made them sound great. I get a lot of compliments on their sound at the gigs we play. They guys in the band love the sound also. I added a 13 rack tom and a 14 floor tom and this gives me everything I need (maybe to much..ha ha) for what we play.

I can not comment on the Classi Jaz kit but I really believe you would be happy with the Grestch Ash, and as posted Grestch makes quality drums.

I am a Gretsch lover and have seen the Custom Classic, but with the small bass drum it will not be as versatile as the Gretsch. You be doing much rock with an 18 inch bass drum. What color is the used Gretsch

I am a Gretsch lover and have seen the Custom Classic, but with the small bass drum it will not be as versatile as the Gretsch. You be doing much rock with an 18 inch bass drum. What color is the used Gretsch

Liquid black i think im going to check it out rite now actually

Back