Great message to posters of this forum and all musicians

moontheloon

Silver Member
I thought this would be an appropriate quote for this forum and thought it could answer many of the questions that repeatedly pop up with one simple read

"you've got to learn your instrument. Then you practice, practice, practice. Then when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail."

-Charlie Parker

That may be a workable approach for a solo instrument, but it normally doesn't apply to drums. What if everyone on the bandstand did that? Chaos. And not good chaos.

Some people get to be pros doing that, but most don't.

Bermuda

Charlie (and all lead players) have the luxury of not having to constantly be on task, he could drop out, feel where he is and start back up. If we drop out, the song halts.

I do agree with the concept though. When onstage, don't think.....

Feel

That may be a workable approach for a solo instrument, but it normally doesn't apply to drums. What if everyone on the bandstand did that? Chaos. And not good chaos.

Some people get to be pros doing that, but most don't.

Bermuda

if you think this doesnt apply to drums I dont think I would enjoy hearing you play very much

either that or you dont understand at all what Charlie was saying .....(which is obviously the case here)

I dont want to hear what exercises you practiced.....I want to hear music

i'm sorry moon but i've had enough.
show some fucking respect to bermuda. do you have any idea who he plays for?

I agree with the idea that performing exercises note-for-note from a practice routine is the worst possible thing you can do. And I agree with what I believe is the point of Parker's quote, which is that you should learn as much technique as possible, not to play something just because it's difficult, but so you have the facility to execute whatever spontaneous idea you have to serve the music. I agree with all that.

My only hesitation is over the "just wail" part. And this is what I think Bermuda was getting at. I guess we have to define what "just wail" means. Because there's the connotation that it's about improvising freely in a way that might not suit all musical styles or situations. And if that's in fact what Bermuda meant, then I do agree with him, too.

I agree with the idea that performing exercises note-for-note from a practice routine is the worst possible thing you can do. And I agree with what I believe is the point of Parker's quote, which is that you should learn as much technique as possible, not to play something just because it's difficult, but so you have the facility to execute whatever spontaneous idea you have to serve the music. I agree with all that.

My only hesitation is over the "just wail" part. And this is what I think Bermuda was getting at. I guess we have to define what "just wail" means. Because there's the connotation that it's about improvising freely in a way that might not suit all musical styles or situations. And if that's in fact what Bermuda meant, then I do agree with him, too.

its obvious that by "wail" Charlie means to play like you know you can play......get up there and kill it

its obvious that by "wail" Charlie means to play like you know you can play......get up there and kill it

I don't know that it's obvious. I don't know the context he said it in. Parker's time was a different era in music. He was probably talking about jazz improvisation and when he said "wail," he likely meant it literally. This was before the era of heavily-produced pop records and drummers getting hired to lay down 2 and 4 and not much else. I'm not sure Charlie could have envisioned what music would be like in 2012.

But your interpretation is how I'd like to take it and I think that's what we all should take from it. And in that sense, yeah, it's universal and applies to everyone.

I don't treat him like a god either. But he has made a career out of music.
As for the chubby thing, well. Fair enough. I actually think it would be unfair if I was thin, I already get enough as it is.

Anyway, I digress. What records/tv shows/festivals/tours have you played on Moon?
Because right now I see a random anonymous user who joined the forum in 2011, whom is basically irrelevant compared to the other esteemed posters that frequent these boards. I mean you are a pretty funny guy. Possibly mentally unstable, but certainly a joke.

See you talk a lot of crap on here (as if you're the drumming version of Gandalf) but I've never once heard/seen anything you have ever played on.
You talk as if you have studied with all the greats, as if you yourself helped chapin write the book. To me you just come across as a narcissistic buffoon, but I am probably wrong (I'm no doctor but I'll phone you one if you need one).

I'm not angry at you. Honestly.
To me you are as insignificant as the rest of us (because we are all insignificant in the grand scheme of things).

However that doesn't stop me wondering what you've actually accomplished in your life.

Now personally I'm not acting like I've accomplished a great deal either. I'm not Dave Weckl, but I have been sustaining myself through music since I quit school. And now I'm in a rather fortunate position where I can make my own music finally and go and have some fun for a bit.

The question is moon; what have you been doing with your life?

I don't know that it's obvious. I don't know the context he said it in. Parker's time was a different era in music. He was probably talking about jazz improvisation and when he said "wail," he likely meant it literally. This was before the era of heavily-produced pop records and drummers getting hired to lay down 2 and 4 and not much else. I'm not sure Charlie could have envisioned what music would be like in 2012.

But your interpretation is how I'd like to take it and I think that's what we all should take from it. And in that sense, yeah, it's universal and applies to everyone.

if we take it that way....which is the way I truly believe he intended it.....its some of the best advice ever given by an accomplished musician

I don't treat him like a god either. But he has made a career out of music.
As for the chubby thing, well. Fair enough. I actually think it would be unfair if I was thin, I already get enough as it is.

Anyway, I digress. What records/tv shows/festivals/tours have you played on Moon?
Because right now I see a random anonymous user who joined the forum in 2011, whom is basically irrelevant compared to the other esteemed posters that frequent these boards. I mean you are a pretty funny guy. Possibly mentally unstable, but certainly a joke.

See you talk a lot of crap on here (as if you're the drumming version of Gandalf) but I've never once heard/seen anything you have ever played on.
You talk as if you have studied with all the greats, as if you yourself helped chapin write the book. To me you just come across as a narcissistic buffoon, but I am probably wrong (I'm no doctor but I'll phone you one if you need one).

I'm not angry at you. Honestly.
To me you are as insignificant as the rest of us (because we are all insignificant in the grand scheme of things).

However that doesn't stop me wondering what you've actually accomplished in your life.

Now personally I'm not acting like I've accomplished a great deal either. I'm not Dave Weckl, but I have been sustaining myself through music since I quit school. And now I'm in a rather fortunate position where I can make my own music finally and go and have some fun for a bit.

The question is moon; what have you been doing with your life?

I dont want to get into a personal dispute with you on a drum forum

I will be in London in 2 weeks and if you want to see what I have been doing with my life I would gladly invite you to the studio...have you hang out and we can talk about it there

all seriousness

I have no problem with you....we could gladly resolve any disagreements in person

you could show me some good pubs in London and I could have you at the studio to hang out and introduce you to some amazing American musicians and producers

peace my friend

Back