Gotta love this! Amazing band and an amazing drummer!

Some of you metal heads :) on this forum may have heard of the Norwegian band Shining. They play a mixture of black metal and jazz.. Im not a fan of black metal but this band is so amazing that as a musician you just gotta respect what they are doing.

The drummer is Torstein Lofthus. I have known him for years. He was also my drum teacher a few years back. An amazing drummer. His playing on Shinings latest release Black Jazz is nothing but fantastic. Its avaliable on Spotify if you guys have access.

There are som clips on Youtube as well. Here is the single from their latest release Black Jazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqn2QMD3ZSE&feature=related

Enjoy!

NQRFMIP= not quite ready for my ipod.......but some real talent there!!! they remind me musically not vocally a tad of a Baltimore band that was big in the 70's-80's Crack The Sky (yeah there on youtube) a really great progressive rock band, was fortunate to be at the tower theatre in Upper Darby, Pa for there Live Sky albumn...They were actually the opening act for Robert Palmer for that show..

Black metal is not really my cup of tea......but they are tight. I watched the whole clip and found it very interesting. The drummer is great.

Great competence, but makes me want to strangle my neighbour's cat.

LOL :) Well dont! I don`t need you neighbour to sue me!
This music is quite easy on the ears but in a hard way..if that makes sense haha.
Funny thing is, I went to a xmas concert in one of our local churches tonight. The bass player in that show was the bass player from Shining, and he was just killing it. Playing xmas carrols in such a gentle and musically way. These guys are really really versatile.

Here is another clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qslyq8CcXu0
How cool is that riff!

Greetings from Norway

Hmm...not my cup of tea. I watched the whole thing, though, waiting for the "amazing" part to come. I must have missed it.

Reminds me a bit of the band Training For Utopia that my friend got me into in the late 90s...

I think the whole song is just amazing. Its been played very fluid even though its sort of a 7/4. Playing in 7 isnt that hard but making it sound as good as this, thats hard.

FP

Back