Getting back into drumming - Need advice choosing bass drum

Overfloater

I see that the 22x18 bass drum has become standard with drum kits these days, however I don't particluarly like them that much. I use alot of triplets and doubles in my playing and the 22x18 bass drum doesn't seem (to me at least) to be that responsive or defined in sound.
I've read that the 22x14 bass drum is the best for this kind of playing, and for the classic sound, and back wken I was playing I think that is waht I played on most.
Is there much difference between bewteen a 22x18, 22x16, or 22x14 interms of response and punch or am I really splitting hairs here....
There is also a good deal on a Yamaha kit where I live with a 22x17 bass drum and am wondering how that compares.....

One last question: I am wondering if there can be some kind of tuning to a 22x18 drum that would create a more responsive feel.
Thanks.

I've got 22x16's and they've never been UNresponsive to me but I have heard a 22x14 and it had more punch. I would like to own one. You're not splitting hairs, it does make a difference.

If you stuff your bass drum with cloths or pillows then you can make the head more responsive. You could always special order the size or have it cut it down. $$$

Have you considered a 20 x 14? There are alot of post on here about the benefits of that size. Just research some. That could just be the size you are looking for considering what you are wanting in a bass drum. Good luck. John

How loose are you tuning? Try bringing it up a bit. Articulation for fast kick work comes from having a definitive attack. Plastic or hard felt beater and a not over muffled batter head. A bit of sustain will also give the kick a definitive tone so that licks going between toms and kick with balance out. I am coming to learn that the only time a really loose heavily damped kick works is when you stick a mic and a bunch of processing in it.

I've heard plenty of gospel chops type folks doing things with deep kicks where you can hear all the voices. Just played on a 20x18 kick last night at a jam that sounded killer both out front and while playing it.

Unless you're dead set on a 22, I'd also suggest at least trying a 20. Given the same depth, and head tensions, the 20 will be more responsive, with just a tad bit higher pitch.

It's a trade-off only you can decide on though.

It's all a matter of what you like. My personal taste leans towards the 14" depth. I like going up in diameter, hence I own 20x14, 22x14, 24x14, and 26x14.​
Current "other" kicks I own, 22x16 (Yamaha RC) and 22x18 (RMV). Other sizes I have owned, 22x17, 26x16, and 28x14.​
If it's the "classic" sound you're chasing, the 14" depth is the drum that's responsible for that sound. The 14" depth was the "standard" thru the 40's, 50's, and 60's. The 16" depth started to get popular, in the 70's, and from then on, drums "grew".​

Back