George Way Tradition - Bocote snare

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Just arrived, thought I'd share: George H. Way Tradition 8" x 14" via Drum Center of Portsmouth, NH.

Bocote veneer (inner/out)/ Maple/Milkwood. 45 degree edges. Beautiful mids and thunderous lows. Fills the room very nicely. Very pleased.

Attachments

• 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 234
That is indeed a snazzy looking snare. I'd love to hear some audio and see if your opinion evolves with time.

Wow... the grain and colour is superb! So rich looking! How many strands does it have?

Enjoy the thunder, Thunder!

Wow... the grain and colour is superb! So rich looking! How many strands does it have?

Enjoy the thunder, Thunder!
I am, thanks. 20 strands. Enjoying the exotic bocote look foresure. Have been researching and considering a Geo Way / Dunnett snare for a while. Really glad to get one.

That is indeed a snazzy looking snare. I'd love to hear some audio and see if your opinion evolves with time.
Thanks. Will have to do that and let you know. Here's a video off Ronn Dunnett's FB page https://youtu.be/BvQSWzf9oxg?t=369

Last edited:
It's a real eye-catcher, Thunder!

Since signing-up as a member to DW, I have come across so many new names of drums and gear I had no idea existed, your new snare being one of them.

It's a real eye-catcher, Thunder!

Since signing-up as a member to DW, I have come across so many new names of drums and gear I had no idea existed, your new snare being one of them.
Geo H Way Drums Inc., Vancouver, BC, Canada

Geo H Way Drums Inc., Vancouver, BC, Canada
Beautiful West Coast! Thanks for the heads-up on that! Will be dropping-in to check the company out next time I'm down that way.

Thunder. I've lost count as to how many times I've revisited this thread to stare at your purchase! Man, it's a beaut!

Thunder. I've lost count as to how many times I've revisited this thread to stare at your purchase! Man, it's a beaut!
put on your phones and check out the vid just posted down below. Thanks, man. Been playing all night.

put on your phones and check out the vid just posted down below. Thanks, man. Been playing all night.
Music to my ears! Such a warm sound. Really nice.

Been playing all night.
I don't know what provides me with more pleasure, being able to play a new drum, or just staring at it! I do both! Like I'm talking a ridiculous amount of staring, and from every conceivable angle humanly possible! :)

I believe the shells are made overseas, then assembled in Canada.
Nice drums, don't care much for the strainer.
Thanks, very good tone. Simple and functional works well for me here, strainer adds to the vibe I was after. Good quality, very functional.

I thought all of their products were outsourced offshore. Geo Way, Dunnett, all of it?

I believe it is like most other drum companies at the moment. Pieces are subbed out to a factory that can build to spec at the best price point. Much like Gretsch subs shells to Keller and hardware to Gibraltar. Put succinctly: Gretsch doesn't use Keller shells, they pay Keller to make Gretsch shells. Then Gretsch finishes, sizes, edges, and assembles them.

I have no reason to suspect that Ron's business is any different, nor do I view it as something that diminishes a brand and product.

Back