"Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" cover by Metallica

Were we listening to the same performance? Once the novelty of Metallica playing an Elton John song wore off I couldn't stop thinking how none of them sounded like they had rehearsed it enough.
I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Metallica or Elton—I like both but don't love either—and, yeah, the novelty of Metallica doing what I thought was a really fun cover of one of Elton's harder-rockin/proggier songs was more than enough for me.

Also, I'm not a Lars hater—if anything, I'm closer to being a mild defender, while admittedly not being much of an expert—but he's sounded absolutely awful on some covers in the past, including on (IIRC) "Sweet Jane" at some Rock and Roll Hall of Fame event, so the fact that to my ears he did a fully credible job here gets my thumbs up.

I suppose I'm biased, I'm a big Metallica fan, but this is also my favorite Elton John song so I thought it was a lot of fun.
Was it perfectly executed? Maybe not, but it felt authentic and from the heart, which is good enough for me.
Elton and Bernie seemed to genuinely appreciate it as well, which is all that matters.

Last edited:
I saw that program and this performance was a highlight for sure. Am not a Metallica fan either. They did a great version that suited them perfectly. If you listen to Elton’s speech he was over impressed as it’s not that easy a song to play.

It was nice ... Started off a little stiff, but, overall, Son of Vistalite Black gives it 7/10.

The "Garage Days" EP is what got SoVB interested in Metallica ... opening up an unexpected lesson in heavy metal history that's still very much appreciated.

Here's Metal Hammer's abbreviated list of their top covers by Metallica ... the full listing is 40 songs. As a huge Thin Lizzy fan, it's hard to agree with 5 (and 1), but the fact that it helped younger fans discover Ireland's Greatest Rock Band is appreciated.

11. Astronomy (Blue Öyster Cult cover; Garage Inc., 1998)​

Metallica turned this ’70s classic into a slower and spacier cut, but also intensified its proto-metal stomp. Those chanting “Hey! Hey, hey!”’s are even harder to ignore when James Hetfield’s barking them, and the guitar leads fit Kirk Hammett’s style seamlessly.

10. Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden cover; Maiden Heaven – A Tribute To Iron Maiden, 2008)​

Every Metallica member shines on this Iron Maiden cover, from James Hetfield’s solemn vocals to Lars Ulrich’s tasteful drumming. Those twin-guitar harmonies and sturdy metal refrains also offered prime chances for the band to flaunt their greatest strengths. They capitalised fully.

9. Ronnie Rising medley (Rainbow cover; Ronnie James Dio – This Is Your Life, 2014)​

Unlike Metallica’s Mercyful Fate medley, this mashup of Rainbow anthems doesn’t overstay its welcome. Maybe it’s the excitement of hearing the metal stars tackle Stargazer or the faithfulness of their performance, but this four-song Ronnie James Dio tribute remains compelling throughout.

8. The Small Hours (Holocaust cover; The $5.98 E.P. – Garage Days Re-Revisited, 1987)​

This stab at Scotland’s NWOBHM underdogs, Holocaust, pushed Metallica to new territory: it sounds legitimately scary. The jangling guitars and creeping pace are surprisingly disquieting, before Papa Het declares, “I am the chill that’s in the air.”

7. Last Caress/Green Hell (Misfits cover; The $5.98 E.P. – Garage Days Re-Revisited, 1987)​

Last Caress earned its place as a classic cover the second it got Metallica banned from MTV. On its own merits, though, it and Green Hell still form a catchy yet riotous anthem, perfectly fitting the muscularity of James Hetfield’s vocals.

6. Overkill (Motörhead cover; Hero Of The Day b-side, 1996)​

Overkill is a bona fide heavy metal classic no matter who’s playing it. Metallica didn’t reinvent the Motörhead hit with their in-the-rehearsal-room cover, but its sheer, unapologetic attitude still bursts from their amplifiers all the same. Pure, insubordinate thunder!

5. Whiskey In The Jar (traditional/Thin Lizzy cover; Garage Inc., 1998)​

Metallica’s Whiskey In The Jar has far exceeded the reach of Thin Lizzy’s (just compare those streaming numbers!), and we get it. This cover’s a tight and melodic heavy metal anthem with danceable drumming and a slick-as-hell lead guitar line.

4. So What! (Anti-Nowhere League cover; Sad But True b-side, 1993)​

There’s something so fitting about a voice as harsh as James Hetfield’s singing about the most evil things a person can do. Thanks to some, let’s say, “controversial” performances over the years, So What! is entrenched forever in Metallica’s legacy.

3. Die, Die My Darling (Misfits cover; Garage Inc., 1998)​

Die, Die My Darling contains the best bits of both Metallica and Misfits. The original’s infectious punk bent not only remains – it gets amplified by James Hetfield’s attention-demanding snarls and Lars Ulrich’s impactful drumming. One of the band’s finest reinterpretations.

2. Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover; Creeping Death b-side, 1984)​

Metallica have carried Am I Evil? with them for longer than most of their originals. Since appearing on the Creeping Death single, it’s become a live mainstay and fan favourite. The fact the royalties have basically sustained Diamond Head’s career only makes it better.

1. Turn The Page (Bob Seger cover; Garage Inc., 1998)​

It’s testament to the might of Metallica that they can improve a classic song by one of America’s great songwriters. The Four Horsemen’s Turn The Page is just as dusty and emotional as Bob Seger’s, except with an added rock ’n’ roll urgency. Perfect, transformative and powerful.

I watched the whole thing. Not bad. If I'm nitpicking, I thought it could have been tighter, but then I'm not on TV either...

Real question: Does Lars not use a traditional ride cymbal?

I really liked Love lies bleeding. Funeral for a friend didn’t move the meter. Hey that’s punny.

I watched that whole performance.
Nope. Admittedly I’m biased… been an EJ fan since day one and find Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding just musical excellence.
Metallica have their sound and I enjoy some of their stuff... But this cover was not it.

Great job!
To me Yellow Brick Road is easily Elton's best LP. Just a fabulous double album. The aforementioned Love Lies Bleeding, Candle In The Wind, Yellow Brick Road, Benny And The Jets...every song on that LP is great. Excellent drum work by Nigel Olsson. As a matter of fact it knocked my favorite rock band Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies LP out of the number one spot in 73.

Back