Fun Friday thread! Tell us what you are good at!

splitting wood - shagbark
giving credit to other members
best drummer in my house

Designing & building drums that others don't / can't.
Going beyond in making sure people are happy & valued.
Sticking with something - no matter how shitty it gets.

As for playing -

Consistent rimshots at will.
Performing drum parts without ego additions.
Playing the spaces.
Knowing how to tune for the room / situation.

I'm pretty good at:
odd times, 7/8 & 5/8 etc
finding drumparts for original music
making it work
practising
showing up with a smile

I'm good at making others feel good about themselves, which helps the music.

I'm good at having my bandmate's backs. They can flub and it doesn't retard the forward motion. I am a top notch supporter of soloists and vocalists.

I'm good at listening, I hear every little thing, every tiny flub, and can easily hear where a (good) soloist is headed. I usually stare intently at the soloist as they're soloing in order to read their body language. It helps me to decipher what they are feeling/where they are going. I have fast reactions, and can turn on a dime onstage. It's rare that I am caught unaware onstage. I try and read minds.

My attitude is to make the others sound great. By default, I'll sound good just by doing that. If I take care of the music and the others first, everything falls into place, and I am satisfied. If I try and play for my own agenda...yea the wheels fall right off.

I feel I understand the role of the drumset in lyric based music better than most, and can see way past myself so I can focus on the really important things, the music and the other players.

I'm good at not hitting the cymbal at the same time as the bass drum and also not hitting the bass drum too much on the and of three.

I'm also pretty good at the slur.

Brilliant thread idea. :)

After only 3 weeks of drumming, my strengths are quite relative, but I have good rhythm, I am good at having fun while playing, and I am not timid. Like, at all. (This is true in general.)

When it comes to non-drumming things, I think I am good at expressing myself, in pretty much every way. More specifically, I can say I am good at being direct, being honest even when it's inconvenient, teaching, not being afraid of asking questions, taking a humorous shot when I see one, getting to the bottom of something, delighting in small details, talking, writing, standing up for myself, not getting offended, admitting I am wrong halfway through an argument when I realize I am wrong about something (or everything), being playful, being logical, procrastinating, using Oxford commas, making people comfortable, and learning (especially when it comes to learning about people and cultures).

Let me know when you start the "Things I am bad at" thread. My list will be considerably longer. ;)

Elle you sound like an ideal student! I wish that I'd had more students like that when I was teaching (not a drum teacher, people)!

Student?! You mean teacher, right? Right?! ;)

Thank you. x I am actually friends with several of my past professors, so they must have liked me well enough. One of them is my writing mentor.

My playing that I sort of take pride in:

Groovy, funky feel
Keeping up with the tempo
Single pedal control
Consistent rimshots

I'm good at listening to how other people are playing, and playing in a way that supports and complements them.

I'm really good at sight-reading. (Much, much less good at remembering what I've just sight-read, so I have to read it for the first time every time, but hey.)

I play blues well: I leave lots of space for the music to breathe and don't crowd it.

I'm actually not too bad with brushes and I think that if I carry on working at them, I could be quite good one day.

I'm pretty damn good at surprising people who say "You can't really play in those shoes, can you?"

I've discovered that I'm real good at laying down the groove, and then not doing any fills. At all. We had no idea how refreshing that was in the band.

I'm really good at playing really slow tempos (without a click).

And other than my tuning woes on a wooden snare drum (since solved), I can tune a kit by ear in under 15 minutes and have it sound great ;)

I'm sure there are other things, but those come to mind right now.

I'm good at enjoying drumming, if that can be considered a skill :) I'm also good at managing to get time to drum even though I have 4 kids, which I definitely think is a skill.

First and foremost it's playing and chewing gum, I've got that art down to a tea after years of development. I chew 100% independently, on beat/off beat/separate rhythm altogether. It's a fine art. No one has complimented on it yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Other than that I feel that one of my strengths is that I'm solid, can adapt to any style and switch over rhythms easy enough. Also I'm really comfortable recording, regularly nail my parts 1-2 takes.

Other than the gum thing my main thing I am good is is loving playing the drums.

......Whilst chewing gum

I'm good at deluding myself into thinking there are things I'm good at.

I suck at everything else.

Back