Fun experience teaching yesterday...

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
As you may know, I smashed my collarbone into a few pieces a couple days ago. As a result, I can't move my left arm. It actually hurts to breathe, because the ends of the bones grind together when my lungs expand.

Anyways, Tuesdays are the days that I teach my drum students. I didn't even think twice about it, really. I just taught lessons as normal. When I was demonstrating licks and rhythms to the kids, I would simply use my left foot on the hats and my right hand on the snare. Even for some slightly more advanced stuff, like 16th note paradiddle grooves between the hats and snare with some tasty ghost notes, I was able to pull off. More than that, it was actually comfortable and natural feeling. I enjoyed playing!

And it sort of just struck me today... boy, its kinda fun to still be able to keep ahead of the students and demonstrate stuff they can't do yet, but lead with my left foot against my right hand! On top of that, I've got a freshly broken bone, and I'm on pain meds! I think it gave my students a little extra push :D

It sounds sort of like I'm patting myself on the back, and I guess thats what I am doing, haha. Seriously though, I don't have an inflated idea of my abilities. I guess I'm just reassured that I'm at moving in the right direction to develop independence, and getting somewhere towards where I want to be technically as a drummer.

The other thing that I realized is that I'm extremely thankful that I HAVE worked on being independent and developing both sides as equally as I have. If I hadn't, I'd be having some trouble here! So to anyone who teaches, I highly advise you to develop your abilities to the point where you still feel like you could teach if you lost a limb temporarily, or even permanently! I know that if I can do it, anyone could, haha :p So get practicing! I still am!

Attachments

• bubblegum.jpg
    bubblegum.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 98
Back