"fluffy" beater question

roncadillac

Platinum Member
I always have really wanted to try using an old school "fluffy" bass drum beater. I've read every thread about them, I know generally what I'm getting into, I'm prepared for a slight volume reduction as well as the inevitable 'wear spot' that I'll have to keep rotating. My question is this...

The general concensus is that the vater vintage bomber is the way to go with the vic firth option being a close second (with slight varying opinions about which is 'better'). I was about to pull the trigger on the vater model ($19 at the time of me typing this) but then I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lovermusic-1...&sr=8-4#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

So, is there really that much of a difference? Putting aside the core (probably) being either cork or felt, which could slightly change weight and feel... Is it really worth getting the vater at $19 or the vic firth at $26 OR is this just another case of 'paying for the name'? Could this off brand option for $14 be worth it?

On that note, does anyone have anything to add? Maybe there is a better option I'm not familiar with.

Thanks!

I've never gotten too worked up over bass-beater options. I've always used whatever my Pearl pedals have been equipped with at the factory. Beaters have become more compact over the years, but I do sometimes miss the classic ones with felt all around. I don't recall thinking one model was better than the other. Just select the one that appeals to you most and see how you end up liking it. I doubt you'll be irreconcilably disappointed.

I've never gotten too worked up over bass-beater options. I've always used whatever my Pearl pedals have been equipped with at the factory. Beaters have become more compact over the years, but I do sometimes miss the classic ones with felt all around. I don't recall thinking one model was better than the other. Just select the one that appeals to you most and see how you end up liking it. I doubt you'll be irreconcilably disappointed.

Well said. I don't like heavy beaters (like the dw ones), I used the tama iron cobra flat beaters for years and my current pearl 530 series pedal has a nice compact dual sided beater that I don't dislike but the 'fluffy' beater thing is a decade long itch that I just need to scratch haha.

I've bought a Danmar "Furry Kick" some months ago because it was only about $5 in a blow-out sale. At first I was very skeptical if it holds up or if my floor would soon look like a hairdresser's shop. It's suprisingly robust and I haven't found any parts falling off. So, if you can also find one of those for cheap, I can recommend it. Let's see what it looks like in a couple of years, though. :)
Oh yeah, the sound - it's definitely different and I like it. The hard core of it still gives you some attack but the overall sound is more "mellow".

I've bought a Danmar "Furry Kick" some months ago because it was only about $5 in a blow-out sale. At first I was very skeptical if it holds up or if my floor would soon look like a hairdresser's shop. It's suprisingly robust and I haven't found any parts falling off. So, if you can also find one of those for cheap, I can recommend it. Let's see what it looks like in a couple of years, though. :)
Oh yeah, the sound - it's definitely different and I like it. The hard core of it still gives you some attack but the overall sound is more "mellow".

Thanks! I'll take a look at that one. They are a reputable name for beaters in general.

I have the Vater Bomber Beater. It's nice, and it does what it's supposed to.

As for the Amazon one, I say try it out, it's only $14. If you don't like it try one of the other options next.

That was kinda my thought as well. I can save $5 on an "experiment" and if I do infact have to replace it, which I expect, I can try a different one.

I will guess that if you buy the Amazon version, you will be SORELY disappointed. I recently tried the same thing through Ebay. It was just a crap felt beater. LOOKED NOTHING like the pic. It was literally stacked felt discs. Go with the Vater.

I tried a few and the Vater is the best.
Yes, it's quieter and warmer sounding. For me, it makes feathering easier. I know some folks use it for the rock (the King Gizzard guys), but that seems pointless. If you play jazz with it, it will last awhile.
Also, the fuzzy beater is lighter than a standard one, so it's a different feel.

I tried a few and the Vater is the best.
Yes, it's quieter and warmer sounding. For me, it makes feathering easier. I know some folks use it for the rock (the King Gizzard guys), but that seems pointless. If you play jazz with it, it will last awhile.
Also, the fuzzy beater is lighter than a standard one, so it's a different feel.

Thanks! I won't be using it for 'rock' but I will be using it ala Chris Dave or Adam Deitch in more jazzy/hip hop fusion type settings. Not saying I'm anywhere near their ability lol, just using their style and usage of a 'fluffy' beater for example.

I tried a couple of the traditional style fleece beaters and thought they were too quiet (and that's coming from a jazz guy) and too heavy. A lot of work for not much sound. It sounds crazy but I've been using a cajon beater for the last few months. To me it's lighter and faster like a regular beater for more intricate work and maybe it's because it strikes flat on the head it's actually louder that a normal fleece beater but has the same sound quality.

I tried a couple of the traditional style fleece beaters and thought they were too quiet (and that's coming from a jazz guy) and too heavy. A lot of work for not much sound. It sounds crazy but I've been using a cajon beater for the last few months. To me it's lighter and faster like a regular beater for more intricate work and maybe it's because it strikes flat on the head it's actually louder that a normal fleece beater but has the same sound quality.

Funny you say that, I've actually read a few threads with people talking about using different options such as foam or cajon style beaters for the exact reason you mentioned. I've also read a few comments about just putting a stretchy athletic wrist band on your current beater for a similar effect. Thanks!

The no name one is kinda neat, I might have to try it. It's lighter weight in the item description than the Vater bomber shows. Fwiw
The cheap one looks like exactly that, a regular felt beater wrapped with fleece. The Vater is on a wood ball.
I'd be interested to try the ebay disaster one with the stacked felt discs too actually. I like different beaters to play with.

The no name one is kinda neat, I might have to try it. It's lighter weight in the item description than the Vater bomber shows. Fwiw
The cheap one looks like exactly that, a regular felt beater wrapped with fleece. The Vater is on a wood ball.
I'd be interested to try the ebay disaster one with the stacked felt discs too actually. I like different beaters to play with.

I actually had two old beater 'rods' I used to play around with. I attached fabric, bouncy balls, cymbal felts... Whatever. It was fun. That was a LONG time ago haha.

If you end up trying the 'cheap' one please let me know. I ended up just buying the vater because I wanted one (of that exact model) for years. Should be in tomorrow.

I’ve used the Vic Firth fleece, the Gibraltar cajon beater, and the Tama sponge pad (or whatever its call).

I returned the VF beater because it felt too heavy, causing an imbalance in loudness between my bass drum and snare (I was using broom brushes which are very light, quiet and whisp-y). If I’d been using sticks I may have kept it.

The Gibraltar unit have a nice balance when I used nylon brushes. The Tama, the quietest and lightest of the three, worked very well with the broom brushes.

https://www.lonestarpercussion.com/...ltar-SC-FLTSOFTY-Bass-Pedal-Cajon-Beater.html

Oooooh. Here’s a hot rod model from Ahead:

Here's the listing for the eBay beater I bought. I mean, the pics are identical to the Amazon listing.

Rock Salad, I'd be happy to send it to you if you want to PM me some info. It's basically a felt beater, done cheaply.

I always have really wanted to try using an old school "fluffy" bass drum beater. I've read every thread about them, I know generally what I'm getting into, I'm prepared for a slight volume reduction as well as the inevitable 'wear spot' that I'll have to keep rotating. My question is this...

The general concensus is that the vater vintage bomber is the way to go with the vic firth option being a close second (with slight varying opinions about which is 'better'). I was about to pull the trigger on the vater model ($19 at the time of me typing this) but then I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lovermusic-1...&sr=8-4#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

So, is there really that much of a difference? Putting aside the core (probably) being either cork or felt, which could slightly change weight and feel... Is it really worth getting the vater at $19 or the vic firth at $26 OR is this just another case of 'paying for the name'? Could this off brand option for $14 be worth it?

On that note, does anyone have anything to add? Maybe there is a better option I'm not familiar with.

Thanks!
Just my experience, tried a Vic Firth lollypop beater on my old DW 5000 pedal ,using the edge position, the action,feel,and sound seems much better than other beaters that i tried. seems the engineers at VF have their act together on BALANCE , WEIGHT, AND SOUND of their products. Good luck .

I was doing a session last year that called for a softer beater sound than the felt side of my DW 5000 beater, so I slipped a medium weight sock over the beater and shaft. Worked great.

If you’re on the fence about buying a fluffy beater, give the sock a try and see if the sound works for you. I’ve since added a fluffy/vintage-style beater to my bag, but the mic’ed sound is really close to the sock.

Back