Five Electronic Gizmos Neil Peart Used on His Time Machine Kit

Son of Vistalite Black

How many years ahead us was Neil Peart was in terms of using a hybrid kit?

Son of Visitalite Black believes the Professor was a solid two decades past the rest of us. Evidence for this is found in a new article in American Songwriter (of all places) highlighting five "drum accessories" that were part of his famed Time Machine drum set.

1. Roland V-Cymbal Crash for TD-30KV. Said to "provide a natural swing feel," which will not be commented upon further.

2. FAT Kat Kick Pedal. Said to offer a "smooth and responsive feel."

3. Roland VH-13-MG V-Drum Hi-Hat (has) "the natural swinging" ... and there's that word again ... "motion of an authentic high-hat cymbal," but, of course, isn't.

4. Alternate Mode malletKAT 7 KS Electronic Marimba. One had always believed Erwig Chuapchuaduah played this on the record, as he's credited for steel drums on "Spirit of the Radio."

5. Roland TD-30 Drum Sound Module "makes every drum hit customizable." Wow.

The link provides a lovely video showing "Bubba" soloing on David Letterman in 2011.

Have any of you on here used a FatKAT pedal? I have the hihat version and it retriggers like mad if I play into the pedal, which makes triggering samples a little bit difficult...

How many years ahead us was Neil Peart was in terms of using a hybrid kit?

Son of Visitalite Black believes the Professor was a solid two decades past the rest of us.
"Past" as in he was behind the times?

If so, then yes. He (and Lorne Wheaton) have said more than once that the tech he uses for his electronics is hard, if not impossible to replace. He has some rack components that if they went out, he'd lose his all too familiar, and often used samples.

I agree that the FatKAT pedal is a nightmare to get right. Seems Neil found a way to just let his foot fall on it and it only triggered the sound once.

I was surprised he went to electronic cymbals to be honest. Those things are never reliable and as much as he relies on his gear, I'd have been 100% acoustic for those.

Back