First two gigs out with the Origin set.

Andy

Honorary Member
& both very different.

This one, a modest festival with an audience circa 1,500 - under cover, large open sided barn - expected sound bounce - festival PA.

Includes proof (end of clip) that drummers can break down a fair size kit faster than anyone else (except the gobbist, obviously) :rolleyes:

This one, a regional Harley Davidson rally with an audience circa 300 - indoors - cleaner sound - band PA.

Now that’s what I call retirement! Nice to see a band play something outside of the norm around me. If I hear Free Bird one more time, all pigeons will find themselves on BBQs! ?

So you guys have Harley rallies in the UK too? I guess I was expecting a Triumph gathering! Silly...I know, I need to get out more. Thought they were only a thing here!

Last edited:
Now that’s what I call retirement! Nice to see a band play something outside of the norm around me. If I hear Free Bird one more time, all pigeons will find themselves on BBQs! ?

So you guys have Harley rallies in the UK too? I guess I was expecting a Triumph gathering! Silly...I know, I need to get out more. Thought they were only a thing here!
Thanks! I'd like to think this is what retirement will look like once I've thrown the last shackles of business windup.

We got two further bookings from this gig, one for the Southern chapter with an audience around 1,000, & one for the national rally, that I believe to be around 3 times that size. Very handsome fees too!

That bass drum sounds so nice, just the right mix of boom and punch. Sounds way bigger than a 22x14.

Bike rally's are massive here (I've done a Triumph one as well :)) I've gone up and down Britain doing rally's, it's a great scene to get on. They know how to have a good time. I miss doing em.

That bass drum sounds so nice, just the right mix of boom and punch. Sounds way bigger than a 22x14.
Thanks - of course, the PA has quite an impact, but this bass drum produces an unequalled level of sub bloom / weight acoustically.

Bike rally's are massive here (I've done a Triumph one as well :)) I've gone up and down Britain doing rally's, it's a great scene to get on. They know how to have a good time. I miss doing em.
Yes, they can be great, but depends largely on organisation too. A few years back, our band worked a lot of the independent Harley club rallies. Some were substantial, but a lot of them got completely out of hand. The last one we did had strippers spraying beer all over our gear, including my drums - that was enough - we bailed :mad: The circuit we're now getting into is sponsored / approved by Harley Davidson directly, and is a much better organised series of events (& better paid).

Yes, they can be great, but depends largely on organisation too. A few years back, our band worked a lot of the independent Harley club rallies. Some were substantial, but a lot of them got completely out of hand. The last one we did had strippers spraying beer all over our gear, including my drums - that was enough - we bailed :mad: The circuit we're now getting into is sponsored / approved by Harley Davidson directly, and is a much better organised series of events (& better paid).

We never had that kind of nonsense with beer and strippers all over the place. We used to do a lot of stuff for NABD the disable bikers charity who are a top bunch, the money wasn't great but they put on some amazing shows all over the country.

Worth it just to get introduced to Welsh Bourbon (Danzy Jones) I slept rather soundly that night

Andy can you comment on any differences you can hear between the new ovangkol and your walnut kits?

What are your overall impressions of the new drums?

Wow Andy love the new kit-you made an Ovangol Origin for yourself. Did you alter it from original design? They sound fantastic-nice venues to be playing. The band sounds great-really clicking. You keep adding challenging songs to play so the band keeps growing. So you guys set creating originals on back burner for now?

We never had that kind of nonsense with beer and strippers all over the place.
You dodged a bullet there - quality wasn't exactly worth the hassle :(
Andy can you comment on any differences you can hear between the new ovangkol and your walnut kits?

What are your overall impressions of the new drums?
This is quite a different animal compared to the walnut Tour series. It has all the Origin traits, but the wood species delivers more sub & more highs. This means it's a bit scooped in the mids, especially lower mids. The result is something that sounds more "powerful", but can lack a touch of warmth compared to Tour walnuts.

Overall, I'm super happy with it. At the last gig, compared to the backline kit, the engineer had to dial back the sub frequencies from the bass drum by 6db - that's a lot!

Wow Andy love the new kit-you made an Ovangol Origin for yourself. Did you alter it from original design? They sound fantastic-nice venues to be playing. The band sounds great-really clicking. You keep adding challenging songs to play so the band keeps growing. So you guys set creating originals on back burner for now?
Thanks Art. Lots more challenging tracks coming, this being one of them (a few tricky changes, not to mention the guitar solo)

Originals have taken a back seat for now, but that's down to other factors rather than new cover songs.

& both very different.

This one, a modest festival with an audience circa 1,500 - under cover, large open sided barn - expected sound bounce - festival PA.

Includes proof (end of clip) that drummers can break down a fair size kit faster than anyone else (except the gobbist, obviously) :rolleyes:

This one, a regional Harley Davidson rally with an audience circa 300 - indoors - cleaner sound - band PA.

Your band always sounds good and your drumming is always solid. Good job.

You dodged a bullet there - quality wasn't exactly worth the hassle :(

Don't you just hate it when the 'A' squad doesn't show up!

?

Sounds like something to add as a contract rider!

Back