Finger Tape

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Long tours can do a number on my hands. I use grip tape on my sticks, and while this is pretty comfortable, playing 20+ shows in a row can take it's toll. I keep a pair of gloves in my bag for the nights when my hands get a little sore, but I don't like having that disconnected feeling I get between my hand and the stick.
However, I may have finally found a solution. I got a roll of waterproof first aid tape, it's tan in color, kind of squishy padded, and adhesive on one side. So far I'm really happy. Provides a comfortable grip, and kept my hands from getting sore. Other tapes, like medical tape and hockey tape always ripped my hands to shreds and made me bleed all over the place. This stuff hasn't done that.

Anyone else use this kind of tape for their fingers?

I use a combination of regular first-aid tape and elastic, self adhesive tape. So far so good. I might give the Naxcare a try.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 9.41.20 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 9.41.20 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
I've been a Nexcare devotee for some time!

For those who don't know, there's a difference between holding a taped stick, and holding a stick with taped fingers. No blisters or callouses at all with the Nexcare waterproof tape. And if you simply start with clean hands when applying it, it stays on. It grips great and is super flexible, like I don't have anything on my fingers. There have been many times that I realize about an hour after a show that I forgot to remove it!

I get 10-11 shows from a single roll. Last time I bought them, Amazon had a 6-pack for $21. They're now $33 and change ($5.59 ea) :( and a little more at Target (sold separately for 5.99.) But it's still my least-expensive consumable, and my hands are worth it! :)

Here's a before & aftershow pic - I later started to wrap another piece around my ring finger to prevent the slight curling seen below (on the right.) And curiously, my right hand is taped a little differently, even though I play matched grip. :unsure:

_nexcare.jpg

This is a timely thread for me at this point.
Although I don't usually have grip or blister issue, when playing faster rock songs recently, my thumb got irritated to the point where it could form a blister, so I'm picking up a 1" x 5" yards pack of Nexare tape at Target today-- they sell for $5.99 there.

I found Promark ActiveGrip Rebound sticks to be the best alternative to tape:

Wish they made them with nylon tips.

This is a timely thread for me at this point.
Although I don't usually have grip or blister issue, when playing faster rock songs recently, my thumb got irritated to the point where it could form a blister, so I'm picking up a 1" x 5" yards pack of Nexare tape at Target today-- they sell for $5.99 there.
I used the Nexcare at the rock band rehearsal and it solved all the little thumb/finger friction problems I had before without using it. The tape stayed on quite well and I'm keeping the roll in my drum bag to be sure it's there should I need it at any time.
I've also used it as a bass drum hoop rash protector for the pedal area since it stretches and sticks so easily with no removal issues, and to secure a felt onto the bottom cymbal washer. There could be other uses!

Thanks to Hollywood and Bermuda for bringing this up.

Nexcare stuff is great, I sometimes get dry, cracked skin on my middle and ring finger in the winter and the tape works well!

Todd Sucherman uses copious amounts of Nexcare on tour, works wonders for him he says.

I've been a Nexcare devotee for some time!

I get 10-11 shows from a single roll.
10-11 shows?

So far one roll got me through 6 shows and 2 days of rehearsal. Although the rehearsal days were long and I had to replace the tape on my tumblr a couple times as it would rip after an hour or so. I think 1, maybe 2 more rolls can get me though this current tour, and 1 roll should get me through the UK tour in November.

I use Ahead grip tape on my sticks as well. I'm curious to try without the stick tape and see if it's even still necessary with Nexcare on my fingers.

I used to tape up my hands too(saw Stewart Copeland do it), especially near the joints, where the skin would blister and tear. Switched to 5As from 5Bs and the problem just vanished. Hmmm.

Dan

10-11 shows?

So far one roll got me through 6 shows and 2 days of rehearsal.

I use the tape sparingly. Meaning, I have identified on each where the friction occurs, and apply the tape only on those areas. My right hand tape pattern looks quite different than my left, which is odd since I play matched grip. Then again, the stick motion is a little different in each.

I use Ahead grip tape on my sticks as well. I'm curious to try without the stick tape and see if it's even still necessary with Nexcare on my fingers.

You shouldn't need both, the Nexcare is sufficiently tacky.

Long tours can do a number on my hands. I use grip tape on my sticks, and while this is pretty comfortable, playing 20+ shows in a row can take it's toll. I keep a pair of gloves in my bag for the nights when my hands get a little sore, but I don't like having that disconnected feeling I get between my hand and the stick.
However, I may have finally found a solution. I got a roll of waterproof first aid tape, it's tan in color, kind of squishy padded, and adhesive on one side. So far I'm really happy. Provides a comfortable grip, and kept my hands from getting sore. Other tapes, like medical tape and hockey tape always ripped my hands to shreds and made me bleed all over the place. This stuff hasn't done that.

Anyone else use this kind of tape for their fingers?

I'm going to try wrapping my sticks in finger tape soon. It's the next step in a long process of finding something that keeps my sticks from slipping. Here's a pic of what my hands looked like at the end of our season back in 2021. They hurt pretty bad.

1697546363787.png

• Wow
Reactions: TJK
I'm going to try wrapping my sticks in finger tape soon.

There are a few caveats with wrapping the stick as opposed to your fingers:

1. If you flip your stick around for rim clicks, the sound will be compromised.

2. Using a wrapped stick with bare hands still causes some friction and doesn't completely protect your fingers.

3. The amount of tape on the sticks will probably exceed the amount of tape on your fingers. If you go through one pair of sticks per gig, you're spending more on the sticks' tape than for your fingers. The Nexcare tape is comparably priced to 'stick tape' and is easier to find in your nearest drug store, Target, etc.

3-M. I could probably get a job in their marketing department!

Great thread, with info I need at the moment.

Does anyone know if the Nexcare tape on fingers will work for playing congas? Anyone experienced with this?

Hello all,

While I don't play nearly as many shows as some of you do in a years time, I've def played around with different grips and tapes. I'll have to take a look at the Nexcare. But something I really liked was using Tennis Racket wraps. They're a lot cheaper than standard stick wraps. You can do three pairs of sticks with one package depending on how you wrap the sticks. One package (back when I got them) cost between $3.99 and $5.99 depending on what brand, color, and type of grip. There are several different feels you can get and they put a little piece of the grip on the package so you can feel it before buying it. I like it because I could take a 5B stick, wrap it and it almost have a 2B grip girth without the added 2B weight. So I could relax my grip a bit without losing sticks while I played.

I will say that after a few years of the sticks sitting in my stick box, the grips are breaking down a bit. So they may need to be removed. Also over time the wrap losses a little bit of its tackiness and it becomes soft velvet (at least it did on the kind I bought). It still works to prevent blisters and it's nice and soft.

Just my $0.02.

On occasion I will use 3M “micropore” tape….it’s more papery in consistency and leaves no residue…but it doesn’t last long.

The other thing I’ve found is some preventative maintenance up front…..I use O’Keefs working hands cream….that stuff is great. Of course, you can’t use before playing because the sticks are going to fly away lol….but before bed or when you wake up…good maintenance to avoid cracking and possible infection

Hello all,

While I don't play nearly as many shows as some of you do in a years time, I've def played around with different grips and tapes. I'll have to take a look at the Nexcare. But something I really liked was using Tennis Racket wraps. They're a lot cheaper than standard stick wraps. You can do three pairs of sticks with one package depending on how you wrap the sticks. One package (back when I got them) cost between $3.99 and $5.99 depending on what brand, color, and type of grip. There are several different feels you can get and they put a little piece of the grip on the package so you can feel it before buying it. I like it because I could take a 5B stick, wrap it and it almost have a 2B grip girth without the added 2B weight. So I could relax my grip a bit without losing sticks while I played.

I will say that after a few years of the sticks sitting in my stick box, the grips are breaking down a bit. So they may need to be removed. Also over time the wrap losses a little bit of its tackiness and it becomes soft velvet (at least it did on the kind I bought). It still works to prevent blisters and it's nice and soft.

Just my $0.02.

I've used Tennis tape in the past as well. Mainly when I'm on tour and run out of stick wrap, and need something in a pinch. Helps if you can't get to a music store, or are in another country where it's even hard to track things down.

As for the Nexcare stuff, I'm 100% sold. Just used it for the last 17 shows, and it's my new thing. I even got the guys in Mushroomhead using it now, who were on tour with. hahahaha!

Back