FINALLY! All my drums arrived and everything's set up..!

Those look great! I love the set up and the cymbals too. 2-up/two down with offset toms is the same way I set up too.

I also see an S-Hoop on the snare...great choice! I swear by S-Hoops.
I swopped out that one because I reeaally like rimshots, and these sound better than the stock 1.6 mm ones and also I break sticks less often and I have less stick chunks on the carpet...

I've used EC2's on a birch kit before. Overall I think they sounded pretty good, though maybe a bit too cold for my taste...

..... the room isn't ours, the eggcrates were there already when we moved in ....
Buy the plural "ours" and "we" ..... are you jamming with a band (guitar/bass)?
So what do you reccomend?
And if that's the case, you might want to go for a more open single ply or double ply head batter, and not a muted head. You won't hear the overtones over the band, but they'll help you to cut thru the mix better.

Magnifico!

Drums and hardware look outstanding, and your Paiste arrangement is supreme!

Have owned two white kits in my day and still, my attraction for white drums hasn't waned. White kits have such a professional richness about them.

Magnifico!

Drums and hardware look outstanding, and your Paiste arrangement is supreme!

Have owned two white kits in my day and still, my attraction for white drums hasn't waned. White kits have such a professional richness about them.
Yeah, the other colors didn't look this cool. But this one, with those badges and those cymbals, I think it's beautiful. Especially on stage.

Or Evans Ec2-s? Actually I don't know which brand to choose...

Evans make good heads too but so far for me, Pinstripes trump them all. I spent a small fortune experimenting with heads for my birch Absolutes and found what I was looking for using Pinstripes. I then put them on my 2nd generation Stage Customs and they were magic there, too.

Evans make good heads too but so far for me, Pinstripes trump them all. I spent a small fortune experimenting with heads for my birch Absolutes and found what I was looking for using Pinstripes. I then put them on my 2nd generation Stage Customs and they were magic there, too.
Maybe a dumb question, but is there a difference between an emperor with a moongel and a pinstripe?

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a difference between an emperor with a moongel and a pinstripe?

Not a dumb question at all. Having used both in that exact configuration, I preferred the Pinstripes. The Emperors were great but the Pinstripes sound even better to me. I like lots of warmth and attack without a ton of sustain.

On their own, Pinstripes sound beefier than Emperors and Moongels.

20181216_173402.jpg

20190323_133339.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Those are Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes with Nouveau lugs. The speakers you see in the background are the virtually invincible Pioneer HPM-100's that my dad bought new in 1979. You wouldn't believe what they've been through.

Your Stage Customs are going to sound fantastic regardless of which heads you choose. There's a synergy that birch drums and Pinstripe heads share, however. I didn't believe it until I heard it for myself.

Really? Isn't that only a "myth" or something? Is there any explanation?

Pinstripes were standard on Yamaha's Recording Customs (Hokkaido Birch) for years - maybe even a couple of decades. I think that says a lot. I think of Yamaha as a musical instrument company, first. I trust their judgment completely.

I'm not sure what the science is behind the phenomena. Perhaps Pinstripes add a bit of that warmth that Maple is known for while preserving the punchiness of Birch. As mentioned, I wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it for myself.

Reactions: TJK
Back