Evans G14 vs Remo X14?

Emmaticus00

I'm just wondering whether to buy the clear versions of these. And has anyone tried the G14's yet? It seems like the Evans is riding the wave and Remo is trying to catch up. First Level 360, than G14's. I also know that the EMAD came out then Remo came out with a Powersonic. And it has "ESDS": Externally Snap-on Dampening System. Similar to EMAD: Externally Mounted Adjustable Damping. It also says on Remo's site that "ESDS" is unique while it's not. What's up?!?

I'm just wondering whether to buy the clear versions of these. And has anyone tried the G14's yet? It seems like the Evans is riding the wave and Remo is trying to catch up. First Level 360, than G14's. I also know that the EMAD came out then Remo came out with a Powersonic. And it has "ESDS": Externally Snap-on Dampening System. Similar to EMAD: Externally Mounted Adjustable Damping. It also says on Remo's site that "ESDS" is unique while it's not. What's up?!?

The G14 is actually the only 14mil head offered in the full size range (6-20") in coated and clear. Definitely a cool head. I love the sound of them on larger toms. We actually launched them in January of 2012. Level 360 was introduced in January of 2013. The EMAD came out a while before similar attempts at such a sound. We've been working pretty hard over here :)

I completely and whole-heartedly agree. I only use Evans and they definitely rock my setup. I think Evans are great. Remo is definitely playing catch-up.

EVANS ROCKS!

Evans just needs a competitor for the remo fiberskyns, which I use as resos for the aesthetic.

love the coated G14 on my snare and want to try them on the toms (where I've been using the old faithful hydraulics for years)

This just kind of seems like a Remo Bashing thread. I thought there was going to be some comparing. I wonder how they do compare? Guess I will do a forum search.

This just kind of seems like a Remo Bashing thread.

No, not at all. I have nothing against Remo, but I feel that Evans is kinda ahead of the game and Remo is playing catch-up. I have played many an Ambassador, White Suede, Emperor, and Pinstripe in my day. I don't have a real sense of what Ambassadors or Pinstripes could do on my drum set; however, I do know what coated Emperors and White Suede Emperors and Ambassadors do on a drum set. I love the sound of the Suedes but the Emperors didn't do it for me. The Suedes could definitely tune well and give me an open sound of a clear head without being clear. I'm more of a "clear" chick. But I do love Evans for what they've done with technology and sound. I wish this would have been more of a comparison thread but Remo X14's are realitively new and I don't know if anyone has had any oppurtunities for real comparisons tests with controls such as: same tuning, same drum(s), and same playing. So if anyone can find or make real comparison tests that are pure (no editing) it would all give a sense of what to wish or buy.

I like Remo's vibe and their logo better, but Evans does have a lot more innovation going on.

There's actually no clear version of the X14 (or the ambassador x, remo's G12), so...

Remo does have more options for head finishes, though- white/regular/black suede, ebony, smooth white, renaissance, fiberskyn, and the regular coated and clear. As far as I know, Evans only has coated, clear, ebony (or whatever they call it), smooth white (likewise & only on the bass drums IIRC), strata, and frosted.

I haven't tried a coated G14 so I can't really comment on their differences. Love the X14 on my snare though.

Can't comment on the comparison between the two listed, since I haven't tried the X-14, but between the Gplus & G14, I prefer the Gplus...the G14 to my ears mutes a little too much compared to the Gplus...

Back