Eric Clapton - a couple of questions

Are there some artists from Wales that I may be familiar with or you would reccomend?

Tom Jones seems to have done alright for himself. As has John Cale. Shirley Bassey was no slouch either.

But I take it that's not quite what you were getting at.

That's a pretty big deal to you Brits, isn't it?

Yeah, Keef thought it was a big deal. Just check out his reaction to his mate Jagger's knighthood

Beside, I think they hand them out in cereal boxes these days. I mean Andy Murray after one Wimbledon win?? Honestly.

I'm afraid I'll have to ask also...how old are you?In the UK,more people know of EC than the queen.He's considered a national treasure.

If you get a chance,pick up some Yardbirds albums with Clapton.By the way Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck were also guitar players for the Yardbirds.....so have you heard of either one of them?

Jimmy Page=Led Zepplin.

Jeff Beck= living guitar legend

Clapton= I don't know where to start.Yardbirbs,Cream,Blind Faith,Derek and the Dominoes,ect.The guy STILL sells out any place he plays(and he plays arena sized places) at 68 years of age.Get his biography "Clapton".A great read.

I've heard of the Yardbirds, but have never knowingly heard any of their stuff. I have heard of Jeff Beck. I thought John Bonham was Led Zep? Oh and I'm 48.

Opera is great stuff,but it's not exactly toe tappin' music

The intro to The White Room is very similar to Vissi d'arte, from Tosca!

Yeah I know. Just didn't want to overwhelm or confuse Ms. Madge. I Shot the Sheriff isn't really his either, was a Bob Marley remake, but Clapton's version definitely saw more airplay than Bob's so I included it as well.

I knew I Shot the Sheriff was Bob Marley :) Yay!

What type of music do you prefer to listen to?
Are there some artists from Wales that I may be familiar with or you would reccomend?
On a sperate thought;Would say that the Welsh have a unquie sense of humour

Opera, baroque chamber music, flamenco.
Tom Jones?
Almost certainly, yes, but I'm not actually Welsh, I'm a displaced Scouser.

Magenta, Here ya go, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton, it's all right there.

Now, let's all kneel and give praise to "Slow Hand."

On a side note, I have an assignment for you, Magenta. Reply back as to why Eric Clapton got the nick name "Slow Hand."

Class dismissed.

Thanks MM :D

Reminds me of some homework my teacher set me, after sending me a particular YouTube link: "Discuss why John Bonham is a drumming legend."

My reply:
"1: Because he touched the cymbal with his bare naked hand and nobody died, EVEN THOUGH he didn't wipe it immediately afterwards.
2. Because he had a Hereford bull.
3. Because he had a coloured pony who was broken to harness.

Did I miss anything out?"

I thought Jethro Tull was John Bonham. I know he used to date Alice Cooper.

Thanks MM :D

Reminds me of some homework my teacher set me, after sending me a particular YouTube link: "Discuss why John Bonham is a drumming legend."

My reply:
"1: Because he touched the cymbal with his bare naked hand and nobody died, EVEN THOUGH he didn't wipe it immediately afterwards.
2. Because he had a Hereford bull.
3. Because he had a coloured pony who was broken to harness.

Did I miss anything out?"

I think you're a bit too far out in left field with you answers.
Here's a hint: It has to do with his E string.

Here's another hint: http://www.whereseric.com/the-vault...ow-did-eric-clapton-get-his-nickname-slowhand

I think you're a bit too far out in left field with you answers

In what way?

Thanks for the hint, it halped a lot!

Did I ever say how much I love it here? I don't mind being the resident laughing-stock - you lot may be incredulous, but you're generous and wonderful. Thank you :D

Ignorance is NOT stupidity.

Your lack of familiarity will give you and everyone else the gift of your own imagination creating what you think is appropriate.

I might even argue that you should NOT follow the same path as everyone else and listen/play what others have played.

You are in a unique and potentially valuable position.....

Did I ever say how much I love it here? I don't mind being the resident laughing-stock - you lot may be incredulous, but you're generous and wonderful. Thank you :D

In what way are you the "laughing-stock?" Sometimes I feel like a complete doofus around here.

In what way?

Thanks for the hint, it halped a lot!

I don't consider you a laughing stock at all.In fact I think you're completely genuine an sincere.

Those are two exceedingly good qualities in a human being.

By the way....you're only 10 years younger than me.

I'm glad to have you around.Cheers

Steve B

In what way are you the "laughing-stock?" .

Because I am a most unlikely drummer! You have to admit, there's a funny side.

In fact I think you're completely genuine an sincere.

I hope so. I mean, you couldn't really make it up, could you?

Never saw it that way until now.

You see what I mean about generous?

I'm not angling for people to say kind things, by the way. I'm comfortable with what I am and what I'm not.

Oh no...you're fine. You're stretching your musical abilities and learning new things...that's what it's all about.

As for laughing stock..no way...I think I've got that one covered.
Some of my (mis)adventures in drumming have kept these guys entertained for days I'm sure....lol. It's all part of the process I guess. We're just more transparent about it than others. We women...we're brave (or foolish?) like that!

Can I just say how impressed I am with the DW peeps at this point?

Madge comes in for some good natured ribbing.

1 - The ribbing never strays from from "good natured"
2 - Madge recognises the ribbing for exactly what it is every single time

Internet high fives for everyone except Madge.

Internet hugs for Madge!

Fear not, Madge - ignorance of rock is no impediment to being a good musician!

When I was (somehow) playing keys in a garage band in 2007 we decided to play Sunshine of Your Love. Our singer (who sings in my current band) had never heard the song. He had never heard of Cream. Nor of Clapton.

He knew Nina Simone, Billie Holliday, Etta James, Dusty Springfield and all the divas, also the crooners like Harry Connick Jr and Michael Buble. After the band broke into Whole Lotta Love at a band practice for a laugh our singer said in amazement "I like it!" lololol

So how would this poor clueless diva-loving lad deal with the challenge of covering one of the legends of rock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGPb7-Lfjs#t=26s

I cant add any more except this (http://youtu.be/5q8Awz5DeeQ) but it is a lesser know song and his best if you add me. Epic journey, incredible ripping and a great song as well.

How old are you Magenta? Just curious- please dodge this question if I shouldnt be asking. I think you are a Brit too no?

Definitely get the Mayall Bluesbreakers album, popularly called the "Beano" album. First shot across the bow of British blues (at least that made it over here). When I think blues/rock I think of Gary Moore (another Brit you might want to look up). There's also Peter Green.

Mike Bloomfield is another thing entirely. He got it from sitting in with the Chicago legends instead of just listening to their records. A lot of recordings of him are marred by drugs, but when on, he was a force of nature. More importantly, his phrasing is much different than the Brit blues revivalists who tend to be in even 4s. Bloomers did a lot of triplet figures and other broken phrases. The contrast is educational.

Ignorance is NOT stupidity.

Your lack of familiarity will give you and everyone else the gift of your own imagination creating what you think is appropriate.

I might even argue that you should NOT follow the same path as everyone else and listen/play what others have played.

Maybe the best post in the thread, glad someone else said it.

Back