DW's "groundbreaking new tech"

Exactly

The terms “game changer” and “revolutionary” is more marketing hype than indeed brand new technology or even concepts. New application as an evolutionary hybrid drum step but not seeing the giant leap.

Will see
I guess we will see in time. But Roland put up $65M dollars to use those words. That represents about 7-10 years of DW income to break even. Certainly they must believe a bigger opportunity than that.

Sunhouse did this years ago with Sensory Percussion and continues to improve upon it with 10 distinct zones per sensor and the ability to blend between zones and control a multitude of other parameters in a very natural way.
Sorry but exactly how did "Sunhouse do this years ago"?

Going by the demo video on their website there's still an XLR cable sticking out the back of their triggers which goes to the module.
I understand if you're saying the triggering/ 10 distinct zones per sensor is the awesome part (which it is) but I was referring to wireless pads (ie triggers without cables) as the "revolutionary" aspect.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Sorry but exactly how did "Sunhouse do this years ago"?

Going by the demo video on their website there's still an XLR cable sticking out the back of their triggers which goes to the module.
I understand if you're saying the triggering/ 10 distinct zones per sensor is the awesome part (which it is) but I was referring to wireless pads (ie triggers without cables) as the "revolutionary" aspect.

Maybe I'm missing something?
I think you missed that I quoted @Chris Whitten, who brought up positional sensing, rimshots, and cross sticks as being the future. I responded that Sunhouse did that years ago. I wasn't responding to you, which is why I didn't quote you.

As both a consumer and someone who has worked in marketing within the industry for over a decade, this sort of hyperbole makes me want to puke. I'm all for getting flowery with the product pitch but this sort of stuff is the cliche that should get someone fired.
Ernie Ball Music Man brought out a guitar called the Game Changer. Didn’t last long.

I think you missed that I quoted @Chris Whitten, who brought up positional sensing, rimshots, and cross sticks as being the future. I responded that Sunhouse did that years ago. I wasn't responding to you, which is why I didn't quote you.
No worries (my bad).

Never heard of Sunhouse in my life but that one little trigger sure seems to accomplish a lot!

You can now play yours drums from anywhere and get a notification when it's time for your drum solo.

You can also control your coffee maker, sous vide machine, air conditioner, engine heater and garage door in the comfort of your drum throne.

The trends are clear.
Sure, but the trend follows the money.
I can only get 3G where I live and my 'broadband' is 8Mbps download, so I don't even bother to sub to Netflix.
This is repeated across the globe, even in the USA. While technology marches on, many areas are devoid of even ten year old tech standards.
It needs governments to step in. The market only wants to install high-tech in the places where they'll make the most money - effectively downtown in major cities.

It's a PITA.
I only release EP's and four WAVs at about 3 to 4 minutes long each don't take long to upload.
Downloading music software upgrades and drum sample packs is a real issue though.

If I watch streamed tv I get the spinning ball a few times every hour.
I won't pay for streaming as a result, just the free streaming (UK) channels.

You can now play yours drums from anywhere and get a notification when it's time for your drum solo.

You can also control your coffee maker, sous vide machine, air conditioner, engine heater and garage door in the comfort of your drum throne.
it can already be done (similarly to this)

The monthly fee is £89, three times what I'm playing for my 4G broadband.
the download speed is much faster, but the upload is the same speed. I need both.

Unfortunately the latency is about 4x longer than regular broadband. So it’s no good for internet jams or gaming.

Unfortunately the latency is about 4x longer than regular broadband. So it’s no good for internet jams or gaming.
My latency is consistently 30–35ms. Is that too long for gaming?

I haven't tried jamming/recording with anyone, but Facetime & multi-guest Zoom feels sprite when we use it.

(my previous internet provider was HughesNet, which had far worse specs than @Chris Whitten 's situation)

Back