DW metal snares made in Asia?

Drum Guy

just bought a DW 14x4 3mm copper snare, maybe get it by FEB...wondered if anyone knows for sure, if all DW metal snares are made in Taiwan or China? or where? Not USA?

DW metal snares are made in Taiwan. Except the true cast. Just check the badge, It won't say made in USA like the wood drums,

Last edited:
If you wanted a USA metal snare, a guarantee is Ludwig (except the Supralite and Black Magic)

Which is why I returned a few before I found the ones without flaws; specifically, the shoddy work done on snare beds and bearing edges.

Which is why I returned a few before I found the ones without flaws; specifically, the shoddy work done on snare beds and bearing edges.

you mean you had to go through a few DWs, metal, to get a decent one? should i be looking for a diff manufacturers 14x4 copper?

Like Flav said, "don't believe the hype!" (DW)

Tama. Starphonic Copper.

Regardless of brand, or price, the quality of drums can be hit or miss.
My 3 DW Collectors snares are keepers. My first one was replaced due to sloppy snare bed work as well as bumps on the rest of the bearing edge. Could never get that reso head tuned properly.
I had a Black Beauty that was a piece of shite for $800. Brought it right back. Don't want to go into that.
My Acrolite, DW Bell Brass, and Gretsch Swamp Dawg were purchased on the spot after close inspection and testing.

If your drum holds its tuning, has good bearing edges, doesn't look out of round, and has no objectionable visual defects, then it's a keeper. Regardless of brand.

interestingly yes the Tama Starphonic Copper sounds excellent but only heard the 14x7, do they make a 14x4? can’t find one so was going with the 3mm DW version

Last edited:
I just receveid the « DW nickel snare » from Thomann... the box say « Made in USA »!! I think the metal snare are assembled in USA but shell/lugs/hoops are made in Taiwan!

yes, sounds right. now i know. well as long as the copper shell i get is perfect i’ll keep it

thanks for all replies

I just receveid the « DW nickel snare » from Thomann... the box say « Made in USA »!!

Well, at least the box is made in USA

Back