DW at Best Buy

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO???!!!

World wide recession.
Wal-Mart wouldn't stock an American made drum. LOL
How 'bout PDP, then?
Oh right, I should have prefaced that with; "Following DW's new Chinese production facilities grand opening..."
Naw, they have the "mexican connection".
I know if I were a big DW dealer and had put many years into pushing their product and then they open up to a Best Buy right down the road from my hard earned business, I'd be really pissed. Very pissed.
And you'd have every right to be pissed. But as we've seen unfolding, Big corporations, box stores, etc. have no loyalty to consumers or employee's.

DW will probably issue some kind of Rock Band special edition kit. =)
Yes, the DW "jellybean" kit. A green drum, a blue drum, a red drum, a yellow drum, an orange drum...

DW will probably issue some kind of Rock Band special edition kit. =)

Hey, don't laugh. I expect manufacturers to start offering Rock Band-branded guitars and drums, complete with Craigslist-steep toms, to pick up on people who start out on the video game and then dabble in actual instruments. It's probably already happening.

At first, real musicians will laugh atpeople playing instruments based on the video game. But as the number of Rock Band video game players exceeds the number of actual instrument players, the tables will turn and some audiences will feel they're better able to relate to a band that has the official Rock Band video game logo on the bass drum.

Mark my words.

Hey, don't laugh. I expect manufacturers to start offering Rock Band-branded guitars and drums...

Not to scare you but there is actually an electronic kit on the market with colored pads that can hook up to Rock Band. I am not joking, I saw it in modern drummer.

*sigh* here we go...

First and foremost, BB is absolutely fine. Yes, earnings are lower than expected, but we are also in the worse economic decline since the great depression....dont forget that.

BB is NOT going out of business any time soon and is not even thinking about closing stores guys..come on....be realistic here....they are opening one near my house in a few days.

As for the pricing, companies like Zildjian and Sabian do what is called menu pricing. Those companies tell the retailers what to sell the product at, and unless given permission from the manufacturer, the retailers must go by that price. DW as well as a bunch of the other drum companies do it too, and although there are sometimes ways around it, for the most part they are contractually bound to sell for what DW authorizes them to sell for.

Your pricing theory and dollar per pound compared to GC just went out the window.

Not to mention BB is non commission, which means no BS answers like we have all gotten when we walked into a GC.

This is a great thing for people not near a music store, a great thing for our art because it will be more accessible than ever, and a good thing for BB.

Why do you guys hate on BB so much? Upset that they wouldn't cut you a deal on your TV? and dont think about saying their employees are stupid...they are actually very highly trained. BB spends more on training than any retail company in the entire world.

Just my 2 c.

*sigh* here we go...Not to mention BB is non commission, which means no BS answers like we have all gotten when we walked into a GC.

Matt, you sound like someone who works at BB. Here, check this out, just for starts. "Best Buy prides itself on the fact that their sales people are not on commission. However managers and supervisors make bonuses based on store performance metrics such as revenue, margin, and net operating profit." Which is "Corporate Thinking" at its best. The "manager" gets the bonus, his "sales team" gives up the sweat and blood in the trenches for minimum wage. BB accounts for about 21% of the electronics market items "sold". Basically, when a store gets that big - they call the shots. Not a manufacture. What manufacture, in his "right mind", is going to pull his product out of 1400 stores.

Most of that is true accept the minimum wage part. We make a lot more than minimum wage. Also, the bonus structure is something you will find at any company. They all have them. Why would someone want to spend their career as a retail manager if they didn't have this perk? They need to keep managers around somehow....

And just cause they are a big company doesnt mean the manufacturers still dont call the shots. Bose does the same thing with their audio. Under these agreements, the manufacturers don't pill their stuff from the store, the stores get fined on a per violation basis. BB wouldnt wanna lost those guys because the stuff they are selling from these guys is potentially high margin stuff.

Plus, they started giving music lessons at $20 a week, which is cheaper than most music stores across the country. I actually might start taking lessons there.

I just bought a new laptop at BB yesterday, I didn't see any drums though :( Maybe they haven't made it to maine yet.

On monday my old laptop gave me a VIRUS WARNING, then dumped all my files and fried my drivers. So I now have a more gooder laptop set up them geek squad guys theirselfs.

Plus, they started giving music lessons at $20 a week, which is cheaper than most music stores across the country. I actually might start taking lessons there.

I assume thats $20 for 30 minutes. It's only a good price if the instructor is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer
I'm not defending Best Buy, and I'm not old enough to work anywhere but as a bagboy. But it was a pretty lame joke.
The thing is, he isn't joking. He hates that place and thinks it is the worst, hence the name Worst Buy.

LOL, This is hilarious. I think someone has totally missed the Boat!

I assume thats $20 for 30 minutes. It's only a good price if the instructor is good.

They said they have three instructors, and he asked me a few questions about what I want to learn, what style I want to play, etc. He said he has the perfect instructor for me.

I don't think Best Buy is evil and I wasn't trashing on them in particular...but everything has its right place and I don't think it's in your best interest to buy high-end musical instruments from what is essentially an electronics/appliance retailer. Beginner's instruments? Sure...go buy a First Act drum kit in a shiny box at Wal Mart, no one's taking that very seriously.

I have to wonder if this will last because I doubt that this is purely subjective on my part. Anyone who takes their playing seriously and really spends time with their instruments, and wants to buy a high-end piece of gear, would probably feel better about getting it at a music store. That is of course, unless they know exactly what they want and find a killer deal at Best Buy, Guitar Center, or somewhere else.

If they're hiring sincere, local teachers for providing lessons to the public, I think that's great. That puts a little bread into the pockets of local drummers and is a good (maybe?) reference to have under your belt.

Anyhow, I almost never go into our local Best Buy. I'm a programmer and I went in there to look at laptops a couple years ago, and my experience was just like the others who posted here. No one knew a gigabyte from an optical mouse...and that was after waiting 20 minutes for someone to show up in that dept. I found that to be the case when looking at iPods, too...except I actually bought mine there because they were the only ones in town that had them at the time. I always went to CompUSA first if I needed something and they're history now.

Ok. If BB is sooo great, why in the hell did those idiots sell me a "new" TV, when in fact it was clearly used and the case was banged up. The picture tube wasn't even good It sucked! Seems it was in a "new" box and all. Wnen I got it out of the box, that's when I noticed all the dust, dents, and scratches.

Someone, perhaps a wonderful store manager type who wants to increase store sales, revenue, and his bonus check tried to pull a fast one? And why in the world does it take 1 friggin' hour to return? What type of processes are in place? And nobody was in the customer serivce line except for my 10 year old and I.

I should have gone to Walmart. Next time!

I can understand that. However this set was obviously used and returned in sub-par condition. Someone would have to be blind not to notice or not care. Regardless, it was put back on the shelf and it shouldn't have been. That was my point.

Back