DW 5000 Kick Pedal

Maverick10

Hello all,

A few months ago I bought a DW 5000 double pedal set, 1.) the store was closing down so the owners could retire and it was a decent price, 2.) they didn't have any single pedals and 3.) needed a new one and the last pedal I bought 15 years ago was a low end Pearl Double that was used. so I wanted something higher end.

Having played on it awhile now, it just doesn't feel as fast as other pedals i've player. I tuned my kick up a bit. I tend to have it one turn above wrinkles. I need to adjust the spring tension and see if that helps. But overall it sometimes feels like walking through mud. The pedal at my old church was an Iron Cobra (unsure of the model, trying to get someone to take a pic and send it to me) but I felt like I could fly. Doubles and triples were no sweat at all. The spring tension was med-med high, and the kick was only a turn above wrinkles.

granted my kick head is pretty old, like decades, but it wasn't giged alot on and only a hand full of practices. the rest of the time is was in cases and a few home practice sessions here and there. So maybe i need to tune it more.

but has anyone had this problem with the 5000's? if so did you keep working with it and making adjustments or sell it of and buy something else? For the record i used a strap drive 3000 at a jazz workshop i was a part of and that one felt pretty good. but it was jazz so the kick was the least played part haha.

Thank you,

Was it a brand new pedal? Is it operating smoothly when you let the beater swing back and forth?

DW is known for their heavy beaters. I personally like them but it may be worth trying something lighter for a lighter feel. I'm pretty sure iron cobras come with light beaters these days, so that's likely the cause of the difference in feel you're feeling. They're otherwise very similar pedals.

The smaller lowboy and standard felt speed king beaters are two examples of lightweight beaters. Or you could just go with what's on the iron cobra.

Hello all,

A few months ago I bought a DW 5000 double pedal set, 1.) the store was closing down so the owners could retire and it was a decent price, 2.) they didn't have any single pedals and 3.) needed a new one and the last pedal I bought 15 years ago was a low end Pearl Double that was used. so I wanted something higher end.

Having played on it awhile now, it just doesn't feel as fast as other pedals i've player. I tuned my kick up a bit. I tend to have it one turn above wrinkles. I need to adjust the spring tension and see if that helps. But overall it sometimes feels like walking through mud. The pedal at my old church was an Iron Cobra (unsure of the model, trying to get someone to take a pic and send it to me) but I felt like I could fly. Doubles and triples were no sweat at all. The spring tension was med-med high, and the kick was only a turn above wrinkles.

granted my kick head is pretty old, like decades, but it wasn't giged alot on and only a hand full of practices. the rest of the time is was in cases and a few home practice sessions here and there. So maybe i need to tune it more.

but has anyone had this problem with the 5000's? if so did you keep working with it and making adjustments or sell it of and buy something else? For the record i used a strap drive 3000 at a jazz workshop i was a part of and that one felt pretty good. but it was jazz so the kick was the least played part haha.

Thank you,
I feel the same way about it. Not at all fast like the IC. Replace the beater with a lighter one, I have went back to the plain Jane felt beater on my pedal and it is a lot faster than the Dw
Also the strap 3000 may have a very eccentric cam on it as well. That makes a big difference in feel

I went thru this recently after getting a new 5000 accelerator…the factory beater is heavy (105 grams). I switched it out for a pearl beater (86 gram) I had at the house and it felt much more nimble to my foot. I did eventually add the supplied DW donut weight to the Pearl and I think it tips the scale at 94 grams now. Just right for me….but everyone has to figure out on their own whats ideal for them

Was it a brand new pedal? Is it operating smoothly when you let the beater swing back and forth?

DW is known for their heavy beaters. I personally like them but it may be worth trying something lighter for a lighter feel. I'm pretty sure iron cobras come with light beaters these days, so that's likely the cause of the difference in feel you're feeling. They're otherwise very similar pedals.

The smaller lowboy and standard felt speed king beaters are two examples of lightweight beaters. Or you could just go with what's on the iron cobra.
Yes it was a brand new. but it did have some issues with the Base plate, so DW sent out a brand new one. they both had the same amount of decay when pulling the beater back.

I tried a lighter beater and it might have been too light. I do have a beater that's in between the DW and the super light beater I can try.

Last night I happened to watch a youtube video on Danny Carey talking about his pedals (older Pearl one) and he mentioned that he likes his spring tension loose so he's not fighting to get the beater to the head.

back in the day I used a base model Pearl with med to med-light spring tension and was pretty fast. So i might try bringing the tension back some and that middle weight beater and see how that works. along with tighting up my bass drum head a smidge.

I'm not completely ready to give up on the DW's just yet. I want to try all options to make it work before maybe selling them off and getting something else.

I appreciate all the replies and help.

Yes it was a brand new. but it did have some issues with the Base plate, so DW sent out a brand new one. they both had the same amount of decay when pulling the beater back.

I tried a lighter beater and it might have been too light. I do have a beater that's in between the DW and the super light beater I can try.

Last night I happened to watch a youtube video on Danny Carey talking about his pedals (older Pearl one) and he mentioned that he likes his spring tension loose so he's not fighting to get the beater to the head.

back in the day I used a base model Pearl with med to med-light spring tension and was pretty fast. So i might try bringing the tension back some and that middle weight beater and see how that works. along with tighting up my bass drum head a smidge.

I'm not completely ready to give up on the DW's just yet. I want to try all options to make it work before maybe selling them off and getting something else.

I appreciate all the replies and help.
One other thing you can experiment with is beater height. A higher beater adds more weight to the strike and vice versa for lowering it.

One other thing you can experiment with is beater height. A higher beater adds more weight to the strike and vice versa for lowering it.
I'll double check that as well. Mine is sitting in the center of my Flam Pad on my kick drum head. It's also locked into place on the pedal with a DW memory lock thing on the beater. But I can see if lowering it a bit helps.

Used a strap drive 5000 for the last 20 years and love it but the newer ones feel a bit too heavy and clunky underfoot especially the double chain ones.

Maybe a set up change might help. I use danmar beaters which are heavier than the dw ones

Thank you all. So last night at band practice I was using the Guitar players E-Kit, keeps the noise down for practice. And he has an older DW 5000, single chain pedal and it felt way faster. Granted I was hitting a mesh kick head so that gave me some extra bounce, but the overall feel was lighter than my Beast 5000. hahaha

So i'll need to def play with the setting on mine and see if I can "lighten" it up a bit before making any drastic changes.

I‘m not sure if these new 5000 are tamper proof or not….but I know in the past there were DW strap “conversion” kits you could buy and swap the double chain out. I would think that would really speed it up losing all that chain mass.

I‘m not sure if these new 5000 are tamper proof or not….but I know in the past there were DW strap “conversion” kits you could buy and swap the double chain out. I would think that would really speed it up losing all that chain mass.
I don't think it's the chain itself that's slowing it down--I don't see how having more mass there would affect the physics. The DW 5000 single chain features a narrower, lighter footboard. I think that's where the impact is.

And yes, you can still convert to strap drive.

After playing Tama pedals forever I got my first DW pedal and I hated it. A lighter beater definitely helped and fiddling with the tension helped but I think it's the cam design. The dw pedal I bought and others I played all had a very round cam which gives you even feel throughout the stroke whereas Tama pedals have a different cam design that is more flat on the top causing the end of the stroke to have more power and be much faster. I could play fast and even strokes on a DW pedal but it took awhile to get there and still I always felt like it was fighting back against me. I recently switched back to a Tama pedal and the difference was night and day. With a Tama pedal I immediately got my "Zach Hill foot" back lol.

I don't think it's the chain itself that's slowing it down--I don't see how having more mass there would affect the physics. The DW 5000 single chain features a narrower, lighter footboard. I think that's where the impact is.

And yes, you can still convert to strap drive.

Well maybe so. I know in the automotive world, lighter driveline = quicker acceleration. They spend a fortune on flywheels, driveshafts, brake rotors and rims that are as light as possible. I would consider the chain or strap on a kick pedal being integrally within the driveline. Same reason swapping to a lighter beater = faster

Having played on it awhile now, it just doesn't feel as fast as other pedals I've played. I tuned my kick up a bit. I tend to have it one turn above wrinkles. I need to adjust the spring tension and see if that helps. But overall it sometimes feels like walking through mud.
I'll say I had this issue with my Accelerators until I got them dialed in. Once I did, I never looked back.
Then I got a Trick shaft and that made them even better. Stick with them...you'll be glad you did.

Well maybe so. I know in the automotive world, lighter driveline = quicker acceleration. They spend a fortune on flywheels, driveshafts, brake rotors and rims that are as light as possible. I would consider the chain or strap on a kick pedal being integrally within the driveline. Same reason swapping to a lighter beater = faster
Interesting, that's good to know.

Back