drum tabs

jd192@large

is there an app for pc that will take a song and tab it in the simple drum tab format . it would be a great tool especially when doing an original piece . I see apps on the net that you can tab a song yourself or just create a groove. also when using throw and catch for up tempo jazz ride patterns what is the correct method when you have back to back triplets like hip hop as an extreme? for instance 1 2trip 3trip 4 if it`s 4 straight triplets I just use the throw catch . right now I`m adding the other hand on snare 2nd and third beat of each triplet. any ideas on the bass drum and other snare notes other than basic shuffles. my next big challenge is adding some latin grooves . all suggestions are greatly appreciated it`s what attracted me to this site. thanks jimmy d

Just learn to notate in standard notation. Drum tabs are absolutely useless outside of the drumming world, and it's just as easy to learn standard notation, if not easier.

It's just a bad idea to even mess with that gobbeldegook.

00000 xxxxx 0000 xxxxx fffffffjkwrjogojkrwokjgok

What the hell is that garbage anyway.

And yes that's what I tell my students.

BillyRay, where is a good website that references standard notation? One that is trustworthy?

BillyRay, where is a good website that references standard notation? One that is trustworthy?

There's tons of rhythmic reading exercises, and I'm glad you brought up the skepticism of "what's a good trusted source?" Because there's some really bad information out there being passed on and it's only a matter of time before "green becomes purple".

You can always go back to anything Joe Morello Master Studies, Ted Reed's Syncopation, Charles Dowd's A Funky Primer, etc. There's so many to grab from.

As to learning by video, I would recommend getting more into the books (visual) side of things because you need to learn things from that angle; you'll end up playing off a sheet of paper more than you will following along to a video. But I suppose both approaches are good. I'm kinda oldschool myself.

Back