Drum stool... here we Go Go

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Let's set the stage- GIBRALTAR base, 7/8 spindle mount, CARMICHAEL top with a ROC n SOC plate.

After a short while the wing screw on the ROC n SOC plate loosens and there's a slight rock on the stool, the stool doesn't seem completely level due to the small movement.

Now 'movement' being subjective (like a lot of things) needs clarification, its very slight, like... anyone sitting on the throne probably won't notice it, they're just used to a small bit of play. Its small yes, but large enough to be pet peeve noticeable when you're looking, small enough that you could just ignore it.

The epiphany. Awhile ago I had a custom sliding spindle machined (7/8") for my home rehearsal kit, now the top on this stool never moves, not even in the slightest, and the wing screw stays put. Looking not too closely at my factory stock GIBRALTAR spindle (my gigging throne base), I noticed what was causing the movement.

There's a bevel on the top edge of the threaded spindle. I can understand they do this for safety reasons, they don't want a sharp edge, but what the bevel accomplishes is it let's the base plate rock ever so slightly, enough so that a wing screw looses grip. It doesn't take much movement for this to happen.

We had the GIBRALTAR spindle faced at a machine shop, pics below. The throne top is solid as a rock now, nada even a slight movement, tight just like my rehearsal throne. Like night and day I tell ya!

Attachments

• Stool arrow 1.png
    Stool arrow 1.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Stool 1.png
    Stool 1.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Stool 2.png
    Stool 2.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Stool 3.png
    Stool 3.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 198
Glad you were able to find it. That probably was a frustrating bit to find and you are lucky you had a machine shop willing to help. So how do you like that carmichael top?

I'm glad that you found a solution.
What does the clamp on the seat look like? I had a Gibraltar throne before I got the tama 1st chair I have now, and I can remember the Gibraltar throne doing that. When i compared the seat clamp with the tama, the tama's clamp is much wider/taller, and has a wingnut and a bolt closing the seat clamp, instead of a single bolt pressing against the post After nearly 20 years of use, it's still rock solid.

Slick fix!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you were able to find it. That probably was a frustrating bit to find and you are lucky you had a machine shop willing to help. So how do you like that carmichael top?

I have multiple CARMICHAEL tops, 13 and 15's, the best piece of gear I own, irreplaceable. I credit them with improving my back and posture, when a piece of gear can accomplish that its pretty heady.

I'm glad that you found a solution.
What does the clamp on the seat look like? I had a Gibraltar throne before I got the tama 1st chair I have now, and I can remember the Gibraltar throne doing that. When i compared the seat clamp with the tama, the tama's clamp is much wider/taller, and has a wingnut and a bolt closing the seat clamp, instead of a single bolt pressing against the post After nearly 20 years of use, it's still rock solid.

The clamps on the FIRST CHAIRS are nice, but what I found was my FChair spindle rocked (moved) at the bottom where it entered the base, especially when extended.

Not limited to GIBRALTAR, the beveled edge is pretty commonplace on 7/8" spindles. Almost certain those bevels are done by a human too, so some will be more pronounced than others I would guess.

Back