Drum recording questions.

Joey182

Silver Member
So I have money to buy recording equipment for Youtube videos. I would like to know a full list of everything I will need to start such as "Mics, Audio Interface, Cables,etc...) I have no idea what I need to buy to get this all started.
Please also give a suggestion with everything. I would like to keep costs low.
I am recording with a 6 piece Gretsch, and I have 6 cymbals (crash1, crash2, ride, china, splash, and hats of course).
Let me know how many mics I need and how much I am looking at spending. THANK YOU!

I'm in the same boat as you, and have found recording to be expensive than originally thought, but here is what you need to get started:

Audio interface
Mics
Mic stands cables
Software
(maybe a mixer, but not needed)

If you want to get a good sound out of your drums, and be relatively cheap I would either get 4 or 6 mics, depending on your budget

4 mics:
Bass drum mic
snare mic
2 condenser mics

6 mics:
Bass drum mic
Snare mic
2 condenser mics
2 Tom mics( one for the Tom toms, one for the floor toms)

The 4 mics is obviously going to be cheaper.

If you were to give me a budget, I could give you better suggestions
But for now let's say you have $800

For a budget o $800( my budget as well I would get 4 mics.

I would suggest 2 akg c1000's(condensers) shure sm57(snare),and a shure sm58(bass)

Even though traditionally a sm58 is not made to record a bass you can still get a very good sound, very cheap. The sm58 is also a very versatile mic(vocals,acoustic, ect)

For an audio interface I would get the zoom r16, which comes with Cubase le(software).

Stands and cables are up to you

Akg c1000-used-$100 each(x2)
Sm57-used-$50
Sm58-used-$50
Zoom r16-new+Cubase-$350
cables/stands-100-150

Hope that helps :)

I was wondering when the replies would start and what would be said...

Harsh? Possibly.

Fair? Hell yes.

I'm sorry guys, I don't wanna come off as a prick but the kid's gotta learn. Way too many people here invest the time and effort into Joey's countless number of duplicated threads only to be ignored so he can start a new one. Dunno about anyone else, but I'm over it. It's time to sit up and start paying attention.

I'm in the same boat as you, and have found recording to be expensive than originally thought, but here is what you need to get started:

Audio interface
Mics
Mic stands cables
Software
(maybe a mixer, but not needed)

If you want to get a good sound out of your drums, and be relatively cheap I would either get 4 or 6 mics, depending on your budget

4 mics:
Bass drum mic
snare mic
2 condenser mics

6 mics:
Bass drum mic
Snare mic
2 condenser mics
2 Tom mics( one for the Tom toms, one for the floor toms)

The 4 mics is obviously going to be cheaper.

If you were to give me a budget, I could give you better suggestions
But for now let's say you have $800

For a budget o $800( my budget as well I would get 4 mics.

I would suggest 2 akg c1000's(condensers) shure sm57(snare),and a shure sm58(bass)

Even though traditionally a sm58 is not made to record a bass you can still get a very good sound, very cheap. The sm58 is also a very versatile mic(vocals,acoustic, ect)

For an audio interface I would get the zoom r16, which comes with Cubase le(software).

Stands and cables are up to you

Akg c1000-used-$100 each(x2)
Sm57-used-$50
Sm58-used-$50
Zoom r16-new+Cubase-$350
cables/stands-100-150

Hope that helps :)

OK. I've heard great things about sm57-58. But finding them used may be a problem. I've searched Craigslist, but no-one sells recording stuff locally! I don't like eBay for some reason... But that's besides the fact.
I will probably go just 4 mics. I've seen and heard great results from that set-up.
Any idea on video stuff to sync it all together?

Harsh? Possibly.

Fair? Hell yes.

I'm sorry guys, I don't wanna come off as a prick but the kid's gotta learn. Way too many people here invest the time and effort into Joey's countless number of duplicated threads only to be ignored so he can start a new one. Dunno about anyone else, but I'm over it. It's time to sit up and start paying attention.

rofl, comon' Pockets. This forum is fun, informative, educational, controversial, rude, and yes at times entertaining. I love it!

OK. I've heard great things about sm57-58. But finding them used may be a problem. I've searched Craigslist, but no-one sells recording stuff locally! I don't like eBay for some reason... But that's besides the fact.
I will probably go just 4 mics. I've seen and heard great results from that set-up.
Any idea on video stuff to sync it all together?

Are you kidding me?

I understand that it might be hard to find akg c1000's used on craigslist but I found at least 5 sm57's and 5 sm58's in tampa florida(30 minutes away) in a matter of 10 seconds.

Are you kidding me?

I understand that it might be hard to find akg c1000's used on craigslist but I found at least 5 sm57's and 5 sm58's in tampa florida(30 minutes away) in a matter of 10 seconds.

I think every music store, pawn shop, and Craigslist has SM57/58s for $40-60 each. Really not much difference between them either (same capsule and body).

I would like to keep costs low. and how much I am looking at spending. THANK YOU!

What kind of budget are we talking about? That makes a BiG difference.

Ok, seen your other thread.

Last edited:
your budget kills some of the mics that are being talked about in this thread. if i was in your position i would get a kick mic, an sm57, & two pencil condensers (rode, joe meek, sennheiser, etc) . place the overheads X/Y and you should be able to hear everything, just make sure you don't hit the cymbals louder than the drums.

you'll probably want some sort of interface too, one with 4 mic inputs.you'll find something by mbox, focusrite, motu, etc. i suggest you search a forum called gearslutz for opinions on mics/whatever, you'll find a lot of info there, maybe too much. maybe you're into that sort of thing though.

Yup, your budget will go fast. If you shop smart you could get some decent stuff but i'm not sure you can get everything you need for 600. If it were me, I would buy stuff that's expandable and you can grow with. Sonar,Protools,Cubase, Motu, Presonus etc...

Back