Drum head pairing question for a Pearl fiberglass kit

A lot of these heads weren't around when that kit was built, so yeah experiment..for sure. I don't like clear heads , at first they sound impressive then they kinda sound like a beach ball or something.. oh yeah lose the hardware..to me those drums were trying to emulate Ludwig and Rogers in those days then the wood fibreglass / fibreglass sets appeared .. creating a " hybrid " space in that part of the market..
So do you agree with Harry in replacing the hardware on the Pearls with the RIMS suspension and Yamaha tom mount?

Regarding what you were saying about the new mounting hardware available.. were you saying the RIMS suspension with Yamaha tom mount would be compatible with my Pearl kit?
No, not at all compatible, in that Yamaha stuff will not fit into your Pearl tom holders. I'd treat your bass drum as a virgin, and just ignore that double tom holder it has. In my world, your Pearl Fiberglass shells would be suspended on RIMS and hung on Yamaha tom arms either clamped off cymbal stands, or mounted off my Yamaha Hex Rack. Going RIMS is a great way to start. What brand tom mount/arm you decide to go with, that's up to you and personal choice. I switched over to Yamaha 600/700 hardware, tom arms and Hex Rack years ago. If you want to keep it in the Pearl family, you might check to see if the hole patterns on the later Pearl mounts are the same as yours. Once Pearl went to those 7/8 inch tom arms ..... they stayed there.

So you've got a nice little herd. The Mapex Venus shells are basswood, I believe. Certainly acceptable at their price point. The Pro-M's are a good, solid intermediate level kit. About 20 years ago, we had a lot of Pro-M owners on this forum. And both the Premier and Pearl kits are "top tier".

So a birch kit vs a flberglass kit. When I first got into owning "multiple" drum sets, my first dive into wood shells (from playing Vistalite's for 20+ years) was a Yamaha Recording Custom kit. Birch vs Acrylic.

Last edited:
A lot of these heads weren't around when that kit was built, so yeah experiment..for sure. I don't like clear heads , at first they sound impressive then they kinda sound like a beach ball or something.. oh yeah lose the hardware..to me those drums were trying to emulate Ludwig and Rogers in those days then the wood fibreglass / fibreglass sets appeared .. creating a " hybrid " space in that part of the market..
So do you agree with Harry in replacing the hardware on the Pearls with the RIMS suspension and Yamaha tom mount
No, not at all compatible, in that Yamaha stuff will not fit into your Pearl tom holders. I'd treat your bass drum as a virgin, and just ignore that double tom holder it has. In my world, your Pearl Fiberglass shells would be suspended on RIMS and hung on Yamaha tom arms either clamped off cymbal stands, or mounted off my Yamaha Hex Rack. Going RIMS is a great way to start. What brand tom mount/arm you decide to go with, that's up to you and personal choice. I switched over to Yamaha 600/700 hardware, tom arms and Hex Rack years ago. If you want to keep it in the Pearl family, you might check to see if the hole patterns on the later Pearl mounts are the same as yours. Once Pearl went to those 7/8 inch tom arms ..... they stayed there.

So you've got a nice little herd. The Mapex Venus shells are basswood, I believe. Certainly acceptable at their price point. The Pro-M's are a good, solid intermediate level kit. About 20 years ago, we had a lot of Pro-M owners on this forum. And both the Premier and Pearl kits are "top tier".

So a birch kit vs a flberglass kit. When I first got into owning "multiple" drum sets, my first dive into wood shells (from playing Vistalite's for 20+ years) was a Yamaha Recording Custom kit. Birch vs Acrylic.
Thanks, man. I'll look into what I can do hardware-wise to make setting up a little more user friendly.

Tom I don't disagree. Me I would start with rack tom on a snare stand first and go from there..
I dont agree either. While that mounting system is old, it still works. I have the same mounts on my Wood-Fiberglass kit, and had an old stencil kit with the same design mounts. They are a bit bouncy but work fine.

Back