double stroke roll on double bass.

robertondrums

Hi everyone, just a quick question. Im interested to no what technique you people use for your double stroke roll with your feet? For example, Heel toe, heel up etc. Do you prefere to accent the first note or the second note of each double stroke? i.e.Thomas Lang accents the second note. What do you do?

Thanks
Robertondrums

you don't really have to accent any note. i think you should try to get both notes completely even (so it sounds like a single stroke roll) before you can get into accents. gotta crawl before you can run. lang doesn't "accent the second note". he just plays doubles. if the second note needs to be accented, he'll accent it. if the first note needs to be accented, he'll accent it. it's not set in stone

you don't really have to accent any note. i think you should try to get both notes completely even (so it sounds like a single stroke roll) before you can get into accents. gotta crawl before you can run. lang doesn't "accent the second note". he just plays doubles. if the second note needs to be accented, he'll accent it. if the first note needs to be accented, he'll accent it. it's not set in stone

The first drumming DVD I owned was Langs. He has come out with another which I've never seen. But in the video I have he states to play doubles by accenting the second stroke just like you do with your hands. I'm not commenting on your advice, but Robertondrums was repeating what he had heard.

I think it's actually easier to play the second stroke louder because of the action (heel-up, anyway).

I play heel up using the slide technique. I love doing the inverted double on the pedals (RLLR) rather than straight doubles it just gives it a bit more taste when you accent the second.

Here's an exercise to improve you doubles. Play flams. two right, two left, two right, two left, etc. It will really improve your speed, but it's also a really cool sounding chop at speed. Tommy Aldridge use to use it alot. Still might???

Thanks a lot guys for the info it really helps. You see I can play double stroke roll heel toe technique very fast but I just feel I should no what you guys use as well. Im going to practise that accenting the second note thing until I get it.

Thanks a lot
Robertondrums

Back