Does anyone know what drumkit was used on What They Do by The Roots??

isak0607

To me it sounds like a electronic drumset, played live. Can anyone give me suggestions on what kit it might, or what samples it might be?:))

Best I can assist is, I think he was a Yamaha player at the time.

A few songs on every album seem to have programmed drums. Having said that, this could easily be e-drums played, the constant variation in bass drum pattern points to played rather than programmed.

To me it sounds like a electronic drumset, played live. Can anyone give me suggestions on what kit it might, or what samples it might be?:))

I would put lots of money, maybe not my whole net worth. But a significant portion of it on Questlove never ever using electronic drums. He has gone on record as saying one of his early recording goals was to be as consistent and steady and unrelenting as a drum machine but as a real drummer with real but processed drums.

Not sure where that record was tracked, electric Lady, where the D'Angelo stuff was done? I lived in New York City at that time. I would put the rest of the money that I didn't put on the other bet on that being all rented gear. The only thing I have heard is that some of that stuff is a heavily muffled Brady snare drum. I don't know if it's a deeper one or the 7 x 12 but I did hear that. And just a guess, knowing what goes out for the cartage guys in New York, did it's a Gretsch or a Ludwig bass drum. Some of his stuff is even on a double headed 18 or 20 inch jazz kick, designed to emulate a Roland 808 with the decay.

He really has a recognisable signature sound, that goes across years and several albums.
There are always a few cuts on each album that don't have his signature sound, but also sound more like samples/machine than real drums.
Like this:

Back