Do you sell drums for a living?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Or work in a music store that sells them?
I'm wondering what advice is given to parent's who come in bewildered and overwhelmed by the choices and price points available. What are some of the general things to consider when buying an instrument for someone else as a surprise gift?

I help students buy kits all the time. Price is usually the main concern, so I scour craigslist, pawn shops, and music shops for used gear. Quality is, of course, a concern, but mostly if the student is serious about playing. You can tune up just about any set of tubs to sound acceptable, and you need some decent cymbals. For a serious student's purposes, I little bit nicer kit and a nice crash and ride are good, but you can get away with B8/ZHT/ZBT/Alpha hats. For somebody who might drop the whole thing within a year, any kit will do, and any cymbals above the "pie tin" level are adequate. The nicer a kit looks and sounds, though, the more apt a drummer is to play it.

...the surprise gift aspect is hard. If they plan on buying new, I would surprise the person by saying, "C'mon, let's go pick out a drum set!" and have a budget in place before setting foot into the store...

Great advice Caddy. Thanks for your input.
I was in a drum store recently and heard a lady telling the salesman that she "wanted to buy a gift for her boyfriend who plays drums." The salesman asked her what her budget was and what did she have in mind. She told him that she was looking to buy him a new snare drum. So the salesman followed by asking if she knew what type of drums he currently owned/played, what style of music he plays or listens to. He then went on from that point to show her the myriad of choices available.
I don't know how it ended up for her because I only dashed in for a minute to buy some heads. But when I left, she was inquiring about buying a gift certificate!

Last edited:
I sorta wish I did...my wife tells me repeatedly and my late mother both told me I am a much happier and content person when I am around drums. Either playing them or refurbishing them, taking them apart to unwrap them, etc.

I could do a stint in a drum shop and be totally content and happy. May not sell much, but I'd be happy.

But when I left, she was inquiring about buying a gift certificate!

She was wise. Although, buying somebody a gift certificate limits them to buying something at THAT store. I remember a time when I wasn't so finnicky about drums, and so it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal, especially if a person is chomping at the bit to get their first kit...

Back