do you open a thread because of who posted in it?

opentune

Platinum Member
..well...do you? I have to admit I do.
I have to say I follow most titles on here (and definitiely don't open some topics), but sometimes view a thread with a certain username because I like their use of words, their humour, their drum knowledge ...or even that debate or controversy often follows them around.

Just curious on the human behaviours thing here at DW.

I usually go to threads where the topic interests me. Like I am avoiding the "do you feel sorry for today's kids trying to make it in the music business with a P-85 strainer" thread. I don't know why, I guess I think it's silly and I'm not into silly lately. But it's growing to 2 pages and I'm having a hard time resisting. I like reading certain members posts for the same reasons you mentioned.

Not your posts Louis, talking about the others lol.

I'm totally kidding about that, couldn't resist.

Topic first if it interests me also. But there are definitely some individuals who I tend to gravitate towards for their insight.

I used to do most gear threads, some threads of people playing, depending on the person, and the Off Topic, just for yucks. Now I do almost all posts except Technique. Not too many bad boys visit there.

Now I do almost all posts except Technique. Not too many bad boys visit there.

haha yep, gotta follow those bad boys.

Larry, your last quip was a good one. Can't resist the humour factor.

And ya there are some pretty hilarious thread title makers - ' that how can you live a good life without a p-85..." is one

I follow all Colaiuta threads, linear fills, drum kit threads on new stuff of interest and Bo Eder's latest purchases...
(Keep them coming..)

yes

I generally skim through threads looking for certain posters

there are absolutely posters that I seek out
and posters that I avoid like the plague

More often than not, interest in the topic is what prompts me to open a thread. But that said, there are certainly posters here whose input has me paying closer attention.....for pretty much all the reasons you listed too. I'm drawn to some because they are a wealth of info. And others because they are just good fun and I dig their overall style and demeanor as much as anything else.

No. Like others, I open if the title seems articulate and interesting. I have been known to avoid threads because of who started them.

yes

I generally skim through threads looking for certain posters

there are absolutely posters that I seek out
and posters that I avoid like the plague
Oh, so that is why you never post in my threads :)

I avoid Larry because he is a White Chocolate eating dork!

Yes, no doubt. However if the topic is something that I am able to contribute to, I will open no matter what.

I go by topic, but on any forum there are always 1 or 2 ppl so out of touch that I can't resist a snoop.

I'm sure someone else thinks I'm that guy.

Last edited:
I have been known to avoid threads because of who started them.

---That's an interesting one " I have been known to... ". In an online forum how can anybody tell if you're avoiding the thread?

"....and Bo Eder's latest purchases.."

--Ah yessss... who can resist?! Can you imagine his credit card statement? just the number of entries per month.

"I'm sure someone else thinks I'm that guy."
---No way Dre25.

I'll open threads based on several factors:

1. Am I interested in the topic?
2. Did Larry post in it?
3. Does it sound like a beginner asking a question?
4. What's Larry doing right now?
5. Is it something new, instead of the same old topics?
6. What is Larry saying about me now?
7. Does it have anything to do with "vintage" gear?
8. When are the mods going to see through Larry's evil scheme?

I'll open threads based on several factors:

1. Am I interested in the topic?
2. Did Larry post in it?
3. Does it sound like a beginner asking a question?
4. What's Larry doing right now?
5. Is it something new, instead of the same old topics?
6. What is Larry saying about me now?
7. Does it have anything to do with "vintage" gear?
8. When are the mods going to see through Larry's evil scheme?
Clearly a stalker ;)

Topic is key for me, but like others, the poster is also a draw. Can't say there's anyone I avoid. I rarely stray into the technique area because I have nothing of interest to offer.

Sometimes I use who has posted in a thread as a barometer to see whether or not there's likely to be anything of interest to me in it.

I think many of us have a "core" of people who are interested in us and in whom we are interested, so there's a natural inclination to gravitate towards each other's posts, but at the same time, topic is probably the main driver for most of us. I don't think there's anybody I avoid, although there are some people whose threads I know I can't contribute to.

These days In Your Playing area I only open threads by people I know as a protest against all the drive-by posters - who take but never give. It's always cool to hear what people you know and like are getting up to.

Otherwise, I have no formula that I know of - just interest in the topic.

I'd say yes because they are usually interested in many of the same things I am interested in (unless it's about gear), so I gravitate towards those threads that they tend to post in. I have a few favorites, but there's nobody I avoid. I think some people are full of shit too, so I like to read what kind of crap they are spewing in the threads. That will prompt me to open a certain thread too.

I log in, I hit "New Posts" and scan the list. If it's something that I think I can contribute to, I give it a read. Of course, my definition of "contribution" tends to vary. It might be gear related (either use it or have an interest in it), science/technology related ('cause that's what I do), general info or something that I find entertaining. Admittedly, my sense of humor is atypical. I assume that some people like it and some people hate it. Eh, can't please everybody, I do what I can.

I would not look at a thread "just because" a certain person started it, it has to have some level of interest for me, even if that's just the curiosity of what other people think about the topic. Sometimes the combination of thread title and OP can be very appealing, though.

Back