Do Sylomer Drum Isolation Platforms Work?

Galadrm

Hey All, been forever since I've visited here, I've taken a long hiatus from my severe and addictive drum interests... but thankfully they've crept back up on me.

I'd been living in Melbourne Australia for a few years and built a Sylomer isolation platform to allow me to play drums in my apartment, and it seemed to work (but couldn't verify other than not receiving complaints). I finally got the chance to test it out and made a video on the topic - check it out below. There is the well known tennis ball riser video on this topic, but haven't seen anyone test a Sylomer based platform before, so thought it might be of interest to some of you.

If anyone has questions about the platform or sylomer product, I'd be happy to chat! There are some instructional guides on youtube as well but they skip over a few of the details, so if you want to get deep into engineering design, let's do it.

Also would be interested to hear if any fellow forum members have built and had success (or not) with a sylomer platform?

Great work. Thanks a lot for sharing.
I‘m using a platform with several rubber isolators, offered by „La Baguetterie“ (a local drum store here in Paris) and additionally the Roland Noise Eaters for bass drum pedal and hi-hat. Despite living in an old building, I do not have any issues with the neighbours.

Attachments

• 5421B5F7-05DB-4106-9997-76D811A33383.jpeg
    5421B5F7-05DB-4106-9997-76D811A33383.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 9
Good topic it must be hard to play drums and cop complaints nothing worse I'm fortunate I can play at any time with no complaints.

Great work. Thanks a lot for sharing.
I‘m using a platform with several rubber isolators, offered by „La Baguetterie“ (a local drum store here in Paris) and additionally the Roland Noise Eaters for bass drum pedal and hi-hat. Despite living in an old building, I do not have any issues with the neighbours.
That's awesome, glad the solution works for you. I'm curious how those rubber stoppers act as a dampened spring system. I imagine they are designed to work at a specific load and just become slightly less efficient at weights above or below the design weight. But whatever works for us drummers!

Good topic it must be hard to play drums and cop complaints nothing worse I'm fortunate I can play at any time with no complaints.
Yes and depends on the person I suppose. I really struggle playing knowing I'm disturbing other people. If I had a soundproof space I know I'd play far more than I do now. What's your rehearsal situation?

Built my own from plywood and tennis balls. Works great!
Great stuff! Did you get the chance to test it out, or was the verification anecdotal? (as it was for me when I lived in the apartment)

Back