Do any drummers actually enjoy performing on e-kits?

I used to have a Roland TD-something, and there were a couple venues we played regularly that asked us to use the e-kit. While I LOVE playing acoustic drums, I have to admit I didn't hate the e-kit. The rack mine had folded up with the pads still in place, so load-in was literally throwing the rack up over my shoulder and carrying my throne, stick bag, pedal, and in-ears. One trip without a cart.

They have all the limitations people have mentioned in the thread, but aren't nearly as awful as some haters would have you think. I agree the cymbals are the weakest link, but in the mix they sounded fine. The response is weird, but I learned to adapt pretty quickly. I ended up enjoying playing that kit way more than I would have expected.

I don't know what the sounds are like with the kit your bandleader got, but I did spend a bit of time tweaking things to my liking with the Roland. Once I had it dialed in, it was easy easier than sound checking the acoustic drums.

Here's a recording from one of the afformentioned gigs. Probably exposes the weaknesses of the e-kit more than some because there is so much space.

Listen to Open Arms by Stroman24 on #SoundCloud

The band leader is a good person, but the band is his, and he pays me well, so I just do my job….
I was about to say that if this situation ever happened to me, I'd wish the band leader good luck and be on my merry way. But then I read this, so I suppose in this instance I'd stick it out and try to make the best of it.

While I truly despise most e-kits, the more expensive ones I've played do seem to be a bit better in regards to response, dynamics and drum/cymbal sounds, so hopefully it won't be too bad of an experience.

ugh...I played one gig with an e kit a few years ago. It was anti-climactic to say the least. The volume wasn't even the issue...it was the feel. And it was a good kit too - one of the newer Rolands that look like a drum set (but not the model above...the drums were half the depth), but I freaking hate the rubber cymbals....and the look. And the sounds were still "processed", even though it was a good brain.

I guess it made me feel like an afterthought to the show. Everyone else had their special amps, and guitars, and a keyboard rack with 3 synths on it....and I had my little electronic toy, literally tucked in the corner in the back of the stage

I wouldn't do it again for sure...unless it is at a nursing home or some place where the volume really needs to be controlled....byt at a club/rock show? No way.

E drums are a get out of jail card for me. They're nothing like the real thing. Yet they're creeping in at an alarming rate.

It's the next big purchase for me but not anything crazy like 8k.

There's way too many things that can go wrong on stage with them and you're entirely reliant on the brain

Good points, but the music we do uses traditional drum sound, no techno type sounds.
I've done jazz session on ekits live. No complaints. And rock. And indie. And trad (guitar, not bleepy) goth. . And... (well, you get the point)

But still totally different instruments. Was gigging acoustics at festies this summer for example. You pick what you want - there's no rules :) The main takeaway is they are totally different. You don't get guitarists arguing over a Strat and a load of FX pedals vs. an acoustic dreadnought. Or keyboard players doing Steinway grand vs Korg synth. It's only drummers that seem to want to do this :) Not the same beasts. Only share a similar basic input technique. That's it. Edrums are a synth you hit. A synth....

Why do [some] drummers - for it is only drummers - have to compare two totally different things all the time? x It's like the cajón vs drum kit thing that perpetuates on drum forums... ;)

Last edited:
Why do [some] drummers - for it is only drummers - have to compare two totally different things all the time? x It's like the cajón vs drum kit thing that perpetuates on drum forums... ;)
In my experience it's the drummers who know the difference between e-drums and drums (and drums vs. cajon),
but the average music listeners and (amateur) musicians in general who don't.

In my experience it's the drummers who know the difference between e-drums and drums (and drums vs. cajon),
but the average music listeners and (amateur) musicians in general who don't.

Punters don't care, indeed! (I've never had a complaint from any audience member - or soundperson - in coming up to 40 years of bashing edrums in every genre of music in every venue)!

But [some] drummers on forums are always doing the edrum vs acoustic thing. No comparison as totally different things. One can emulate the other a bit (like a Korg synth can emulate a Steinway grand) and if you can play one you can have a go on the other to get the basics. But they're not the same. And you can do so much more with the synth once you get it off the piano preset! ;)

I used to have a Roland TD-something, and there were a couple venues we played regularly that asked us to use the e-kit. While I LOVE playing acoustic drums, I have to admit I didn't hate the e-kit. The rack mine had folded up with the pads still in place, so load-in was literally throwing the rack up over my shoulder and carrying my throne, stick bag, pedal, and in-ears. One trip without a cart.

They have all the limitations people have mentioned in the thread, but aren't nearly as awful as some haters would have you think. I agree the cymbals are the weakest link, but in the mix they sounded fine. The response is weird, but I learned to adapt pretty quickly. I ended up enjoying playing that kit way more than I would have expected.

I don't know what the sounds are like with the kit your bandleader got, but I did spend a bit of time tweaking things to my liking with the Roland. Once I had it dialed in, it was easy easier than sound checking the acoustic drums.
I had a Roland TD-11 with some added Pintech cymbals. At the time I made the mistake that a lot of E-drummers make and had my cymbals way too loud, but the rest was fine for playability and dynamics.

Roland TD-11

Now I have to TD-27 and the TD-11 so I can add a lot more pads (which I did until I ran out of rack space). I have no issues with playability (yes no e-kit is perfect, but this one works great for me).

TD-27+ TD-11

I have some VST drums that I have not tried the modules with yet, but I have tried those Vsts with an Alesis module and of course it doesn't matter which module you use, you should be able to get the same sounds save for some modules being capable of positional sensing which I don't believe Alesis is.

I have done a couple of gigs with e-drums. I own the Yamaha DTX 900, Yamaha DTX 500 and Yamaha DTX Multipad with a an electronic h-ihat, snare pad and cymbals connected to it. Almost all of my practice at home is on the electronic pads. I have also tried the new Roland kits and the digital hi-hat is nice. The Roland digital snare and ride are also nice but not a huge leap from the three zone pads on the Yamaha. (IMO with only limited use of the kits)

I much prefer acoustic drums for all the reasons stated above. In addition, I have an entrapped nerve in my right forearm and the rubber cymbal pads and hi-hat when used for an entire gig cause a lot of pain that takes days or weeks to subside.

However, there is a lot you can do with an electronic set. Yes, it is different from an acoustic set but it offers a new palette of sounds and can be a lot of fun to play. Give it a try, you just might find that it meets the bands requirements and allows you to express yourself in new and fun ways.

That said, here are my suggestions to help minimize the issues with gigging with e-drums:

1. If you are using in ear monitors it is best to have a separate monitor mix that allows you to have the drums at the volume you want, otherwise you may end up hitting too hard just to hear yourself properly.
2. Always have spare cables. I have had a cable go at the beginning of a gig and it is much easier to identify the problem (pad vs cable) if you have have extra cables.
3. Always have an extra power supply. They are usually not very expensive and if it goes the drums won't work without it.
4. If you are gigging a lot and for good money, an extra electronic brain should be considered, which would also cover the need for an extra power supply. I have used my DT900 for 12 years and never had a problem, but it is always in the studio. If the brain doesn't work then there are no options for drums. Not like an acoustic set where you can change heads, MacGyver a hardware fix or just use the pieces that are not broken. Second brains can be expensive and also need to be configured the same as the original brain so a lot depends on whether missing a gig with drums would be catastrophic or just an inconvenience. Of note, I also play Cajon in a trio/duo and would be fine using a mic on a Cajon with my classic rock band in a pinch (as a backup).
5. The other issue not mentioned is that there is no low rumble, like you get from the bass drum. (Same problem with in ear monitors). While it does not bother me, some people find it distracting not having that immediate feed back from the bass drum and add something like a butt kicker to add that vibration. I am not suggesting adding a butt kicker, just pointing out what I have heard from some other drummers online.

Jim

I have an entrapped nerve in my right forearm and the rubber cymbal pads and hi-hat when used for an entire gig cause a lot of pain that takes days or weeks to subside.

Just picking up on this - and this maybe grandma/eggs so apologies - ignore!

Often this can be exacerbated by using non-flexible sticks. Try some more flexible ones. More flex, less vibes. (too many drummers are too concerned with size or brand or signature and ignore the density/flex/wood type)

density: maple < hickory < oak, and
flex: maple > hickory > oak

And go as thin as is comfortable for your hand / finger size to get even more flex/vibe soak. So, If you're using hickory, try some maples, and then try a thinner size etc

I'm ancient, been bashing rubbery stuff for 4 decades and my wrists still work. I use maple and pretty much always have, TBH. (on edrums and acoustic)
Like most, tried everything over the decades, including every wood and metal and carbon and so-called Anti-Vibe (useless, exploded, avoid snake-oil) sticks.

Just picking up on this - and this maybe grandma/eggs so apologies - ignore!

Often this can be exacerbated by using non-flexible sticks. Try some more flexible ones. More flex, less vibes. (too many drummers are too concerned with size or brand or signature and ignore the density/flex/wood type)

density: maple < hickory < oak, and
flex: maple > hickory > oak

And go as thin as is comfortable for your hand / finger size to get even more flex/vibe soak. So, If you're using hickory, try some maples, and then try a thinner size etc

I'm ancient, been bashing rubbery stuff for 4 decades and my wrists still work. I use maple and pretty much always have, TBH. (on edrums and acoustic)
Like most, tried everything over the decades, including every wood and metal and carbon and so-called Anti-Vibe (useless, exploded, avoid snake-oil) sticks.
Definitely good points. After some research I went from Maple to Hickory sticks. Hickory absorbs the vibration better than maple (even though maple is more flexible). It is the vibration that causes the greatest problem. I have also really worked the technique to minimize the pressure on the forearm and done a ton of physio to strengthen that muscles around the entrapped nerve. This has really helped. Playing on real cymbals also makes a big difference.

I have also tried anti-vibe sticks and yes they do not work any better than standard hickory sticks.

Do I enjoy it? No.

Do I find the benefit in them... absolutely? I actually own a crap set that comes in handy for practicing certain things when I need to be silent.

I use to play competitive golf in high school and college…and I suffered a lot from tendinitis in my left wrist from striking golf ball/turf. There use to be this “shock absorbing” wrist band I would wear, and although not a miracle worker, I believe it helped me if I wore it routinely. It was made by a company called Tenex. It’s probably still made today and might be worth a try to minimize shock going thru a pesky nerve. Might work, might not…but when you’re in pain, you will try anything

I play a Roland kit when I fill in at a church. The drums aren't too bad, but IMO, the cymbals are awful: the sound, the feel, the response. You might ask if you could at least play real cymbals. A friend of mine played in an 80s tribute with an e-kit, but used his Zildjians. Sounded so much better.

I second the idea of using real cymbals no matter what.

I play a Roland electronic kit in practice situations, and I totally agree that the drums are fine (as long as I have time to dial in sounds I like) but the cymbals are the real weak link. Losing all nuance on the hi hat is a huge problem for me and never really knowing if I'm going to get a bow hit, bell hit or a crash when I hit the ride pad is enormously distracting.

I second the idea of using real cymbals no matter what.

I play a Roland electronic kit in practice situations, and I totally agree that the drums are fine (as long as I have time to dial in sounds I like) but the cymbals are the real weak link. Losing all nuance on the hi hat is a huge problem for me and never really knowing if I'm going to get a bow hit, bell hit or a crash when I hit the ride pad is enormously distracting.
On another note, I hate silent stages.

I've done jazz session on ekits live. No complaints. And rock. And indie. And trad (guitar, not bleepy) goth. . And... (well, you get the point)

But still totally different instruments. Was gigging acoustics at festies this summer for example. You pick what you want - there's no rules :) The main takeaway is they are totally different. You don't get guitarists arguing over a Strat and a load of FX pedals vs. an acoustic dreadnought. Or keyboard players doing Steinway grand vs Korg synth. It's only drummers that seem to want to do this :) Not the same beasts. Only share a similar basic input technique. That's it. Edrums are a synth you hit. A synth....

Bit different for drummers. I have never heard a band tell a guitarist to use an electric guitar over an acoustic guitar. The lead guitar in my Classic Rock/Country Rock band uses an acoustic guitar with pedals to give that electric guitar sound.

Drummers are often told by other band members that they want an electronic drum set. As a result, some drummers feel pressured into using an instrument that they are not comfortable with and this sparks the ongoing discussion of e-drums versus acoustic drums. It is unfortunate, because as you point out they are different instruments with totally different capabilities, despite the e-drum companies trying to make the experience as close to acoustic drums as possible.

I totally agree that in the end the argument is mute. I play Cajon, Djembe, e-drums and acoustic drums, as well as other percussion instruments. They all have advantages and disadvantages and work well in most styles of music. Over all the instruments, Cajon with a Djembe is my favorite gigging configuration. Easy to mic, set up is less than 10 minutes, two trips for carrying in from the car and on the Cajon when I use my foot on the front plate I can get many different pitches. The Djembe add a different flavor and I use it on some songs. Love it and play in a Duo with a guitarist that plays both the bass and lead on his guitar.

I also play both the acoustic drums in a Classic/Country rock band and have played e-drums live as well. They are all fun to play if you embrace the differences, although I find acoustic drums give me more room for dynamic expression.

As long as you are aware of that the module sounds are totally irrelevant when it comes to e-drums. VST libraries are basically a necessity regardless of price point.

I too have played on my Yamaha DTX900 for 15 years and I much prefer gigging on acoustics. My Yamaha is for practicing and recording commercial releases. I concur with all what Ironjim55 said, but with the most important addition being that you will need a proper drum VST to get really stellar sound out of any e-drum setup. Even Roland's and Yamaha's top modules cannot touch the latest expansions from Superior Drummer, and there is a reason there is a market for these libraries. Which is why I only record with SD3 (or AD, SSD, GGD, OWD, BFD etc.) since a decade back.

Back