Deciding on which drumpad to get.

harrisal21

I'm looking to add a drumpad to my acoustic kit. I'm looking for loop/sample playback, click track, and to use
It to accompany my kit with auxiliaries such as cowbells, chimes, blocks, electronic kit sounds , etc. I've been reading up on them and seen the top one's are Roland spd sx and Yamaha dtx multi 12. But I'm having a hard time deciphering which one will meet my needs as I never used one before.

Both those will suit your needs. I'd go try them both out at a music store. Get one you can upload sounds / mp3's / wavs too and you can trigger anything you want. You can also go midi out into a computer or laptop and the world is yours at that point. you can trigger backing tracks, lights, fog machines etc with some automation, but lets get the cowbells and chimes working first.

Budget matters. You can do this with less. I have a roland tm2. you could get 2 pads and as long as you are only using 2 different sounds per song just create a preset for each song. hit the plus button, your on the next song. spdsx is pretty slick though.

I've owned the Roland spd x AND the Yamaha dtx multi. I sold them both for the new Alesis Multistrike pad. It's a beast!!!!!! It blows the other two pads out of the water in every single way, as far as I'm concerned... It's phenomenal what this thing can do.

I've owned the Roland spd x AND the Yamaha dtx multi. I sold them both for the new Alesis Multistrike pad. It's a beast!!!!!! It blows the other two pads out of the water in every single way, as far as I'm concerned... It's phenomenal what this thing can do.
I saw that too. But I read all the horror stories about the prior models with crosstalk issues so I steered away from those. How long have you had it? No issues so far?

I saw that too. But I read all the horror stories about the prior models with crosstalk issues so I steered away from those. How long have you had it? No issues so far?

I've had it about 6 months now, and it's seen consistent use almost on a daily basis. No crosstalk whatsoever. Zero issues. Very easy to program and change settings, very easy to add effects...which, I might add, are abundant in this pad. Extremely easy to transfer .wav files to it, preview, trim if needed, add reverse and other effects, etc. Plus, it has 7,000 internal sounds and loops that are all high quality--most definately not cheesy.

The ability to group pads is a very easy process. Actually, everything is very easy to do-- except add an external hi hat. That is the only bad thing about this pad, if you are looking to do that. It's not a big deal to me, I just use their hi hat system that takes up 2 pads-- one for closed and one for open hi hat sounds. If you group the 2 pads you can silence the open hi hat and get some nice sizzle. I have added an external kick pad (a Yamaha kick tower) and it works great. No issues.

The individual pads themselves have a very nice feel under the sticks. Not too hard and not too soft.

Sampling is a breeeze. Just plug a mic in and record away. Do all your trimming in the unit. Effects can be applied via real time with the Link buttons.

Here is the link to the owner's manual. You can also search online for their instruments, loops, and voice list... it's mind-boggling the sheer amount of sounds in this pad! http://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/alesis/StrikeMultipad/strike-multipad-user-guide-v1_0.pdf

Alesis have really stepped it up with this product....!

I've had it about 6 months now, and it's seen consistent use almost on a daily basis. No crosstalk whatsoever. Zero issues. Very easy to program and change settings, very easy to add effects...which, I might add, are abundant in this pad. Extremely easy to transfer .wav files to it, preview, trim if needed, add reverse and other effects, etc. Plus, it has 7,000 internal sounds and loops that are all high quality--most definately not cheesy.

The ability to group pads is a very easy process. Actually, everything is very easy to do-- except add an external hi hat. That is the only bad thing about this pad, if you are looking to do that. It's not a big deal to me, I just use their hi hat system that takes up 2 pads-- one for closed and one for open hi hat sounds. If you group the 2 pads you can silence the open hi hat and get some nice sizzle. I have added an external kick pad (a Yamaha kick tower) and it works great. No issues.

The individual pads themselves have a very nice feel under the sticks. Not too hard and not too soft.

Sampling is a breeeze. Just plug a mic in and record away. Do all your trimming in the unit. Effects can be applied via real time with the Link buttons.

Here is the link to the owner's manual. You can also search online for their instruments, loops, and voice list... it's mind-boggling the sheer amount of sounds in this pad! http://cdn.inmusicbrands.com/alesis/StrikeMultipad/strike-multipad-user-guide-v1_0.pdf

Alesis have really stepped it up with this product....!
I just picked one up for $600. So I'm going to see how good it is. Thanks.

Back