Cracked my floor tom leg bracket! :-(

lxh039

I was trying to tighten the screw to secure the leg, and the whole damn bracket just snapped. The set is a crappy old beginner's poplar kit for a local off-brand manufacturer. They don't sell these drums anymore, and they don't remember who they got the hardware from (other than "some chinese company"), so replacing the bracket isn't option. I have a practice session scheduled with someone for tonight, and I NEED this floor tom to be playable.

What would you guys suggest I do, both as long-term and short-term solutions?

I was trying to tighten the screw to secure the leg, and the whole damn bracket just snapped. The set is a crappy old beginner's poplar kit for a local off-brand manufacturer. They don't sell these drums anymore, and they don't remember who they got the hardware from (other than "some chinese company"), so replacing the bracket isn't option. I have a practice session scheduled with someone for tonight, and I NEED this floor tom to be playable.

What would you guys suggest I do, both as long-term and short-term solutions?

Measure the distance between the center of the (probably 2) holes on the floor tom. You can order a new one.

For now, maybe see if you have something tall enough to rest the hoop on while you play, or you can just play without a floor tom for your practice. It's not the end of the world if you have to play a part differently for a practice.

I had the same thing happen on an old kit, and what I did was mounted the floor tom to an 'l-rod' rack tom mount via one of the brackets. It worked perfectly, and actually sounded better, So I never bothered replacing the bracket.

Just put a memory lock on the leg,or use a nylon zip ties or tape to hold it in place.Long term?,Buy any bracket that has the same mounting hole measurements.There are plenty out there.Who cares if it dosen't match.

Steve B

Thanks for the replies, guys. What I've decided to do for tonight is wrap a whole bunch of tape around the leg and jam one of those garden-hose mending tubes down on the tape to act as a memory lock. If that's stable enough I'll just leave it that way until I get my new set. If not, I'll use TColumbia's idea and get an "I rod" to mount it on.

Get the screw distance measurements of the old bracket and order a new one. Your hardware was probably sourced from someone other than the kit's manufacturer. You may be able to find a direct replacement, or something really close.

What do you guys think of these floor tom isolation mounts?

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_105_77&products_id=2266

Thinking about buying one and just removing all of the floor tom brackets. I know it's a lot to spend to mount a poplar floor tom, but I plan on being able to afford a birch kit in October, and I can use the isolation mount on that kit, too. *shrug*

No, don't do that. If you want isolation for your new kit when you get it, just buy the Pearl isolation floor tom feet. That's far too much to be spending on it. Just get a new bracket. It's cheap, and as long as it fits, that's what matters

There is only one true answer for such a dire emergency as this... Duck Tape of course!

Attachments

• 9-17-12-pyramid-of-print-duck-tape.jpg
    9-17-12-pyramid-of-print-duck-tape.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 356
Yep. Aint never met a break that couldn't be fixed with duct tape and maybe some silly putty or something to fill tape gaps if bonding something back together.

Doesn't look pretty, but gets the job done. Like me.

No, don't do that. If you want isolation for your new kit when you get it, just buy the Pearl isolation floor tom feet. That's far too much to be spending on it. Just get a new bracket. It's cheap, and as long as it fits, that's what matters

I agree. I was going to get a big isolation ring for my custom kit but ended up just getting the Pearl feet and they're fantastic. Brackets should only be $20-30 anyways.

Back