Crack or scratch?

ddrum_daz

Today i saw this line on my wuhan 16" china. As you can see in the picture below, there is a small 1inch line then it stops, then another half inch line.

Do you think this is just a scratch, or if it is a crack? I've only had the cymbal since last Monday, and i play everyday but im not a hard hitter with cymbals. Although, when i received the cymbal there was a small manufacturing dent which you can see in my other post here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77554

Attachments

• DSC00533.JPG
    DSC00533.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00534.JPG
    DSC00534.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 262
Get a 10X loop (i.e. magnifying glass) and look at it under this magnification....you'll know then whether it's a scratch or crack....

no i bought it off of ebay. and i don't think i can get it replaced. :/ i might get an aquarian cymbal spring.
this cymbal has alot of marks though so i might be just a scratch but i only just noticed it now. If it is a crack, i don't know how that happened lol, because i don't hit very hard :S

I think scratch only because it crosses lathe lines. Wouldnt a crack follow the lathe lines?

Also i have just noticed this. It looked like a small bit of fluff but when i rubbed it it didn't come off. Do you think that this is a crack or just another scratch? I don't know anything about cymbal cracks.

Attachments

• DSC00537.JPG
    DSC00537.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Wait a minute ... is this the same Stagg Traditional in your other thread, or a different Wuhan?

Dude, stop freaking out, your cymbal is not cracked. This is what a Wuhan looks like. If you want, I can post pictures of my 2 year old Wuhans that looks exactly the same and are not cracked.

If you're going to freak because it doesn't look perfect, return the cymbal, and go dish out the big money for a Paiste, Zildjian, or Sabian. If you like the sound, keep it and get looks out of your brain. You will know when it's cracked (you will hear it and trust me, on a Wuhan, you will know when it's cracked - you'll be wondering who installed rivits on your cymbal).

Dude, stop freaking out, your cymbal is not cracked. This is what a Wuhan looks like. If you want, I can post pictures of my 2 year old Wuhans that looks exactly the same and are not cracked.

If you're going to freak because it doesn't look perfect, return the cymbal, and go dish out the big money for a Paiste, Zildjian, or Sabian. If you like the sound, keep it and get looks out of your brain. You will know when it's cracked (you will hear it and trust me, on a Wuhan, you will know when it's cracked - you'll be wondering who installed rivits on your cymbal).

I'm not worried about what it looks like, i'm just worried about it cracking! Thanks for the input though, and could you post the picture(s)? Thanks.

I'm not worried about what it looks like, i'm just worried about it cracking! Thanks for the input though, and could you post the picture(s)? Thanks.

These aren't the cracks you're looking for.

Yeah, ive seen bigger defects on wuhan and stagg cymbals. Theyre all hand made, and cheap, so they dont have the strict Q.C and process of the pro cymbal brands.

Cracks are not always obvious, but you will notice a difference in the sound, if it still sounds good, just play it man. Dont buy a cymbal spring for half the price of a new china.

I get that youre worried about your purchase, but if you want to check it out before you buy it, give your business to a local retailer, otherwise, put that thing back on its stand and play it!

Here's some pics of my Wuhans (2 of 4 of them anyways).

Top 3 pics are all 19" China.

Bottom left is 19" China again.

Botton right is 8" splash (brilliant finish, so imperfections/blemishes are hidden well).

I have three Wuhan brilliant finish splashes (2x 8" and a 10"), trust me, I probably hit these harder than I hit my crashes and they are rock solid.

Attachments

• Wuhan.jpg
    Wuhan.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 164
Back