Conventional wisdom versus the actual snare height and seating position of top drummers

This dude had his snare way below his waist, and he's practically standing up.

ringobutlinsunknown.jpg

For readers of an American disposition - "bum" means "butt" in Britglish - not 'my thirsty homeless friend'.
See also 'backside', 'arse', 'bahookie', 'jacksie'.
Thank you for the translation into American...we also say "your bottom." But it's not REALLY your bottom, is it? It's more like your rear middle. Your absolute bottom would be the soles of your feet, wouldn't they? This is a serious philosophical question, isn't it? 🤔

This dude had his snare way below his waist, and he's practically standing up.

ringobutlinsunknown.jpg
He moved it up some as the years went on. Still too low for me, though. I actually like it up higher about where the OP describes it. I don’t like it in a position where I can rest my arm on my leg. To me it just presents an opportunity to be lazy ;). Not calling Ringo lazy, though. He was never lazy.

an old picture, but you can see my snare height. its 90% fo the time flat ( and the other 10% is when im playing trad grip so its angled), and usually about my midriff height.

its whatever works for that particular person, everyones got a different preference) :)
jaykaydrums_204085596_2648430815450238_7378198478467302822_n.jpg

Thank you for the translation into American...we also say "your bottom." But it's not REALLY your bottom, is it? It's more like your rear middle. Your absolute bottom would be the soles of your feet, wouldn't they? This is a serious philosophical question, isn't it? 🤔
Dont get me started on "the back of my hand". I have never once seen anyone walk palms front/forward. It's more like the outside of the hand, but definitely not the back.

an old picture, but you can see my snare height. its 90% fo the time flat ( and the other 10% is when im playing trad grip so its angled), and usually about my midriff height.

its whatever works for that particular person, everyones got a different preference) :)
View attachment 125308

that is about where mine is too. If I am hitting my legs, it is too low.

Most every player's kit that I sit behind (at jams) has the snare higher and flatter than my setup, plus the toms are typically flatter as well. Over time I move their setups less and less and just adapt to what's there.

Most every player's kit that I sit behind (at jams) has the snare higher and flatter than my setup, plus the toms are typically flatter as well. Over time I move their setups less and less and just adapt to what's there.

when I was touring and using a lot o "the other guys drums", I almost always viewed each new set up as a cool challenge to my playing. it made me have too adjust fills a lot, which sort of made each gig like a new set list of songs

I wish all drummers did that. I sometimes sit in at a local jam, and there’s this one drummer who lowers every single item on the set and torques the wing nuts down as tight as humanly possible. That’s lame.

When I was host drummer, I accepted players moving stuff. Traditional grip players would lift and tilt the snare first. The hihat next. Usually nothing beyond that. One guy Samsonite Aped my drum heads.

What’s wrong with unconventional wisdom -just one seems pretty limiting.

To me, knees below hips is conventional wisdom. At least parallell, but most will raise their seat as they grow up and get less attached to the sitting low and look cool or whatever thing they use as justification.

I've slowly gone a bit up every year and it's just made everything easier including e.g. comfortable ride position on a bigger setup.

I've heard navel height for snare from quite a few teachers when I first started playing, but the idea is just to not be so low that you're hitting your legs while playing and be comfortable. If you tilt the snare and play trad you can go a little bit lower without issues.

Just as with guitar though where I in my younger years needed to have my own guitar to really play I can sort of get by on anything now. A bit picky with pedals, but that's mainly because I don't play with shoes on.

It is. But above the paygrade of simple men like us. Best leave it to the likes of NASA, MIT and Laboratoire Garnier.

To me, knees below hips is conventional wisdom. At least parallell, but most will raise their seat as they grow up and get less attached to the sitting low and look cool or whatever thing they use as justification.

I've slowly gone a bit up every year and it's just made everything easier including e.g. comfortable ride position on a bigger setup.

I've heard navel height for snare from quite a few teachers when I first started playing, but the idea is just to not be so low that you're hitting your legs while playing and be comfortable. If you tilt the snare and play trad you can go a little bit lower without issues.

Just as with guitar though where I in my younger years needed to have my own guitar to really play I can sort of get by on anything now. A bit picky with pedals, but that's mainly because I don't play with shoes on.
You've eaten your shoes, haven't you, Arne 😉
Leather isn't strictly meat - but it definitely isn't a vegetable, so you're good.

I don't know my first thought is if your seat and snare are to low, and you find yourself in a Red Hot Chili Peppers Tribute Band playing drums wearing nothing but a sock, you could risk a serious injury-so you should weigh that possibility if you've adopted low. Yikes!!!! Sounds painful-blood like Whiplash but more like Something About Mary when he zipped up "Princess Sophia" (HTLG10days) by mistake.

You've eaten your shoes, haven't you, Arne 😉
Leather isn't strictly meat - but it definitely isn't a vegetable, so you're good.

Well, doesn't sound too healthy.

I do have shoes though slowly transitioning to flat "barefoot" or Five Finger type shoes mostly, but avoid having anything on my feet as much as possible.

When I was host drummer, I accepted players moving stuff. Traditional grip players would lift and tilt the snare first. The hihat next. Usually nothing beyond that. One guy Samsonite Aped my drum heads.
It's a good idea to put marks with a sharpie or something on your stands & tilters & other gizmos before something like that, so you can get back to normal quickly.

Back