Connecting Roland Td4-KX2 to computer -which cable?

Grace :)

Hi all. A while ago it was recommended to me that I should invest in some drum software such as EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer to use with my electronic kit - a Roland td4 kx2.
I'm trying to buy the cable I'd need to connect the kit to my laptop, but every midi to USB cable I find seems to have a midi in and midi out connection on one side, but the drum kit I have only has one midi socket? Which kind of cable would I need to use to connect this to a laptop? Would an ordinary midi to USB cable work, or would I need something different as one of the midi inputs wouldn't be used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Hi all. A while ago it was recommended to me that I should invest in some drum software such as EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer to use with my electronic kit - a Roland td4 kx2.
I'm trying to buy the cable I'd need to connect the kit to my laptop, but every midi to USB cable I find seems to have a midi in and midi out connection on one side, but the drum kit I have only has one midi socket? Which kind of cable would I need to use to connect this to a laptop? Would an ordinary midi to USB cable work, or would I need something different as one of the midi inputs wouldn't be used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Afternoon...

You only need a midi IN lead on your computer, your drum kit will be a midi OUT, so OUT of the drums IN to the computer, if the USB adapter has both in and out, then just use the in and leave the out unplugged.

An ordinary MIDI USB adapter will work, but purely to be on the safe side, try and go for one that is made by someone with some music history like roland (edirol) for example as they will probably have a lower latency (delay).

Then it depends on whether you need a lead or it will plug straight in of course, but standard 5 pin din leads are what they use.

Back