Connecting Roland td07dmk to Google pixel 6a phone

BottleJam22

Recently purchased this excellent kit. Wondering how would record drum covers on the Google pixel 6a which has no headphone jack. Just a USB c port?

audio interface --> USB cable --> phone.

It's going to be complex if you need to mix the drums with a backing track (of the cover) and how you would monitor the backing track.

You can:

1 connect your music source to the module mix in. (use an aux cable if using a laptop or anything that has 3.5 mm headphone out) I believe the module does support Bluetooth as well.
2 connect a 2 way headphone splitter to the module headphone out. One end is used for your headphones, the other one goes to the phone audio in.
3 Record using an app that allows you to record video+ audio in.

Things needed:
1 USB C to headphone dongle. The link shows one that you can use that also allows you to still charge your phone at the same time.
2 headphone splitter
3 3.5 mm cable to connect from the headphone splitter to the dongle on the phone (the link shows 2, you only need one).
4 Phone holder for tripod
5 tripod.
6 App that can record video with external audio
7 A video editor

Make sure to lower the audio levels on your phone so it doesn't clip.

Alternatively, you could use the second end of the headphone splitter and send the audio to your pc to record it separately.
The issue here is that you will then have to sync the audio and video and that might prove difficult.

or you could get a camera that has a built in mic input so that you can definitely record proper audio (and have it already synced with the video).

If you get that camera you will still need items
2, 3, 5, 7

The camera is the best (and easiest) way to go about this, because you get synced audio and video, you can also record the room sound if you had your drum going through a large speaker (the camera has built in external mics).
The camera is cheap enough that it is attainable.

Now for a multi camera setup... Say you end up buying that camera or two of those cameras and still want to use your phone as well, a headphone splitter is not going to cut it, because the more you split the signal, the more distortion you introduce, so use a small headphone amp instead such as this:

Then you can connect the headphone output of your module to the headphone amp input, now you have 4 volume controllable and properly powered outputs that you can send to your headphones and 3 cameras. You will need to buy 3.5mm to 1/4 adapters (however many of the 4 outputs you will be using).

Finally, I am not sure how versed on video editing you are, but if you end up using more than one camera, then the way to do it is as follows:

1 Add your first video track to the timeline. This track will consist of the video and a separate audio track.
Allow that track to play for... say 20 sec then cut it there deleting the rest of the track.

2 Add the second video track to the timeline. Delete the audio, you already have it form the previous track. Note before deleting the audio, make sure the video lines up to the audio from track number one. On this track, you are going to remove the first 20 seconds (the time that track one is playing) then from second 21 to say second 40 or 41 you are going to let that track play.

3 Add the third video track and sync the video with the audio from track one, and delete the audio from track 3.
Delete the first 40 seconds (or however many seconds you stopped at on track 2), then start track 3 at that point, go for another 20 seconds or so.
4 Repeat the whole process starting the video from the time the last video stopped, basically every time you add ta new video track, it will add the entire track, you have delete from the beginning of the track until the time you want that track to start, then leave the portion of the track that you want to play(the 20 seconds in this example) then delete the rest, repeat the process until the end of the song.

Alternatively, you can randomize the camera views or if you have a foot view, use picture in picture to add that view to one of the video corners.

You can also add some effects to make it more visually appealing such as color changes, transitions, video shaking, zoom in and out etc. (I usually don't recommend transitions for drum covers but hey do what you want).

Visual example:

Track 1 ========== ========== ==========
Track 2 ========== ========== ==========
Track 3 ========== ========== ==========

If you notice, there are no empty spaces, The timeline just keeps going, but changing tracks.

In the visual example I just added the 3 different tracks, and cut the portions so that they switch between each other. that is one way to do it.
but the way I do it. (easier for me) is I just keep adding tracks and just cut from the beginning until the time the track is supposed to start, then allow it to play for however long, and delete the remainder. There are many ways to do this but that way works for me.

There are hundreds of tutorials for your favorite video editor in YouTube.

Back